Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember how primal the "Little House" series is??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clymb.. I bet you can try the molasses-on-snow trick if you use shaved ice instead of snow.

For those interested, The Little House Cookbook (Barbara M. Walker, hey look it's on Amazon) adapted ALL of the recipes in the Little House series for modern cooking, with lots of frontier food history in between. Excellent book. Here's a quick version of molasses-on-snow:

1 cup dark molasses
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Prepare the pans of snow (or shaved ice). Keet them cold. Combine molasses and brown sugar in a large saucepan so the candy has room to boil up. Boil for 5 minutes or longer, until the candy reaches firm-ball stage (245F). Rapidly pour the candy into squiggles over the snow and let cool.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

just stumbled on this...I read somewhere (will try to find tomorrow...headed to bed soon) that Laura and one or two of the sisters died of diabetes.

Comment

here it is....was reading this a few weeks ago

tess's paleo journey: off-the-beaten-track, but interesting....

Comment

The American Woman's Cookbook Not the same era but still has a lot of recipes and information. This post immediately made me think of this. It's the cookbook my mother used to learn to cook. She had two copies, one quite tattered that she gave to me. I need to pick up a copy in better condition. The original was published in 1939, and while it has plenty of baking it also has sections on how to render fats, which fats are best for what, how to prepare offal, head cheese and scrapple, larded grouse.
          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Just checking out the preview of the cook book on Amazon, I saw a snippet about how a "johnny-cake" is actually a misunderstood version of "journey cake", heard spoken by New Englanders. It made me chuckle.
            Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by kimdowse View Post
              here it is....was reading this a few weeks ago

tess's paleo journey: off-the-beaten-track, but interesting....
              Interesting! I never knew that. I love that the article quotes Dr. Cate Shanahan--her book Deep Nutrition is life-changing.
              "The mountains are calling and I must go."
              --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
              --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
              --Hyperlithic

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                Clymb.. I bet you can try the molasses-on-snow trick if you use shaved ice instead of snow.

For those interested, The Little House Cookbook (Barbara M. Walker, hey look it's on Amazon) adapted ALL of the recipes in the Little House series for modern cooking, with lots of frontier food history in between. Excellent book. Here's a quick version of molasses-on-snow:

1 cup dark molasses
                1/4 cup brown sugar

Prepare the pans of snow (or shaved ice). Keet them cold. Combine molasses and brown sugar in a large saucepan so the candy has room to boil up. Boil for 5 minutes or longer, until the candy reaches firm-ball stage (245F). Rapidly pour the candy into squiggles over the snow and let cool.
                You know, I think I used to have that book back when I was in grade school...I'll have to look it up again. Thanks for the reminder
                "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                --Hyperlithic

Comment

Working...
                X