Isaac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isaac

It's about to get fun in the next 10 hours or so. Bought a bunch of canned meat and vegetables for the next couple of days if we lose power here on the Mississippi coast. Not thrilled about that, haven't had canned food since I started primal two years ago. Maybe I'll get to play caveman for the next two days? I hope not.

Sorry Kyle, this old Gwamma doesn't understand. Why would you lose power?
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

From the land of earthquakes to the land of hurricanes, we wish you well. I've been in more than a few hurricanes down in Mexico and I know they can get pretty hairy. Batten down the hatches and try to stay dry.

Comment

Stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
          Sorry Kyle, this old Gwamma doesn't understand. Why would you lose power?
          Hurricane Isaac

Comment

Are you from Biloxi? Or have you moved there?

It's only suposed to land as a 1 or low 2... not much threat at all.
            A 1-2 is just a bit of wind and rain.

And yes I've lived coastal up there.
            A couple years in Biloxi, then a few seasons in Ft Walton Beach... Including one bad storm that nearly erased Navarre Island completely.

Anyway... I always think it's weird when people get antsy over the little storms.
            A 3, put some water and canned goods by just in case...
            A 4... get real nervous, have your supplies, gtfo if you can.
            A 5... just GTFO. I saw Homestead AFB aftermath.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

OMG good luck. We have had all these horrendous earthquakes over here in CHCH over the last 18 months. people died, injured, the whole 9 yards.
              Stay very safe
              thoughts are with you

...small steps....

Comment

Mumfordla, that is one cute cow !

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                  Mumfordla, that is one cute cow !
                  "MumfordLa" is a spambot, not a real person exactly... it actually quoted a piece of Paleobirds post.
                  You'll get used to those things.
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

thanx Cori. I am too illiterate when it comes to these things !
                    however thats what happens when one gets old and dottery !
                    I shall attempt to get with the lingo !

...small steps....

Comment

I've only been in Biloxi for a year now, so this is my first possible hurricane. I know it's probably not going to be too bad other than a bunch of rain and storm surge causing some flooding, but it's too easy to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle46N View Post
                        I've only been in Biloxi for a year now, so this is my first possible hurricane. I know it's probably not going to be too bad other than a bunch of rain and storm surge causing some flooding, but it's too easy to worry.
                        I see...
                        First time!

You sounded a bit like a "foreigner".
                        It's good to have a closet full of water and some tins of sardines, or whatever, "just in case"...
                        But honest! There isn't much to worry about with a small storm.

People tend to underestimate the water they'll need and over estimate food.
                        So, water. Water. More water.
                        If you really think you'll be losing power... clean and fill your bathtubs and some 5 gallon buckets when the storm is hitting. And have bleach on hand. Remember that a little bleach goes a long way.
                        Emergency Drinking Water

Food such as sardines, tuna, or other fish in oil, in easy to open packets or tins... if something happens you might not be able to find the darned can opener.
                        Nuts, dried fruit, that sort of stuff if it can be reliably resealed.
                        Also, nut butters... they are dense and don't spoil, so good in a pinch.
                        Last edited by cori93437; 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM.
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

oops double post

Comment

i've been "lucky" in my history on the gulf coast b/c when i was a kid they would always hit LA, and we would get the clean side. So we would often lose power (b/c we lived in an area with a lot of trees) but no real damage from wind.

But Ike was the worst experience for me - 11 days without power! oh god it was so miserable in the condo with terrible airflow.

i know it's nothing compared to how people suffered so much in Florida, esp that one season where it seemed like it got hit like 5 times.

But i do dread the next storms and high winds - even though thousands of dead and dying trees have been removed due to the drought, they are still falling over. Really hoping no storms hit houston anytime soon.

hope you stay OK in MS.

One thing i do before a storm is brew a lot of coffee; i'll drink it cold the next day and it's good to know that there's some coffee in case you have no power. Might want to find a camping stove & get that ready.

other staples - beer and D-batteries (for a camping fan, radio, etc).

Comment

ahhhhh, watching the news?
                              ----------------------------------------
                              F, 48, 5'10"
                              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Working...
                              X