Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat Fat and Grow Slim - Published 1958 - Anyone Read It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat Fat and Grow Slim - Published 1958 - Anyone Read It?

I just stumbled across this,
    Looks pretty much Primal, but over 50 years old and the diet idea was used 100 years before that, this was published just before the whole Saturated fat fear came into play.
    I just looked at the quick guide and Chapter 1 pretty much the same as Mark & other Paleo people advocate now, I wonder how different the world would be if this took off in 1958?

Eat Fat And Grow Slim by Richard Mackarness (1958)
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Very interesting. This is the first time I come across it, admittedly I've not researched much into the subject.
    Thank you for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
      I just stumbled across this,
      Looks pretty much Primal, but over 50 years old and the diet idea was used 100 years before that, this was published just before the whole Saturated fat fear came into play.
      Yes, I have read it.

I just looked at the quick guide and Chapter 1 pretty much the same as Mark & other Paleo people advocate now, I wonder how different the world would be if this took off in 1958?
      Yes and no and depends.

When paleo first got going the assumption seemed to be:

1. that we must be adapted to the ancestral diet;

2. that the ancestral diet would therefore be healthy for us;

3. that we know what's healthy -- it's what health-education people tell us is healthy;

4. healthy (see 3) means low in fat, and especially low in saturated fat, and low in sodium (because that's what health education people say);

5. the ancestral diet was low in fat, especially low in saturated fat, and low in sodium.

In order, this is likely true, true, false, false, false.

A lot of ink has been spilled over this.

Over time people's conception of paleo has changed. It certainly can be fairly low carb, high fat (which the ancestral diet in truth would have to have been, for at any rate much of the year) ... but is not always. Some paleo people are absolute carbmonsters and actively hostile to low-carb living.

So, yeah, Mackarness (1958) is not hugely dissimilar to (some) current paleo views, but it's a long and developing story. And in some quarters you'd get tarred and feathered for daring to make the comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post

Eat Fat And Grow Slim by Richard Mackarness (1958)
        I only looked at the quick guide. Loved it!
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I remember my mother following this back in the '60s!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
            I remember my mother following this back in the '60s!
            Same here. My mother, who was a Registered Physical Therapist, taught me to lose weight, cut starches (carbs). This was common knowledge in the '60s before the big fat scare.

Comment

Love it... thanks for the link!

Comment

My mom died when I was 13, late 70's but I had seen many pictures of her through the years, and she was long and lean, even after 4 children. I always figured I got my dad's genes.
                65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Here is another one if you like "The Drinking Mans Diet" The Drinking Man's Diet - Forbes.com

With every Manhattan
                  Your stomach will flatten
                  If pounds you would burn off
                  Then turn on your Smirnoff

Comment

This is what got Atkins started - he was just following some standard but out-of-fashion guidelines when he made his original plan and was shocked at the reception it got.
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by Tercio View Post
                      Same here. My mother, who was a Registered Physical Therapist, taught me to lose weight, cut starches (carbs). This was common knowledge in the '60s before the big fat scare.
                      I have a book written in the 1930s about charm, etiquette, and personal presentation geared toward young ladies. In its diet section, it also recommends cutting starches. Basic meal? Meat and two veg. If you wanted a dessert, a milkshake was acceptable, but cake was "too heavy." Funny how things changed.

Comment

My Grandma always said to cut out the "white" foods like bread, potatoes, rice, etc. to lose weight. And no snacking. Grandma knew a thing or two.

Comment

I just really liked the story in the first chapter of the Fat Undertaker in 1862 who was morbidly obese and finally found a physician who said don't eat starch, eat fat to get slim, and he did and it worked.

Even if it hasn't got all the fine tuning of science with today's Paleo/Primal, it would be a far sight healthier than current SAD state of affairs.

I think it is a real gem, and they just went on what worked and didn't need to do an ancestral analysis or a multi million dollar study, so SAD, so SAD that we lost this knowledge for so long.
                          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

This is awesome. I'm working my way through it...it reminds me of those Jack Lalanne videos that were posted a few weeks ago--if we knew all this in the 50's and prior why are we still re-inventing this stupid wheel???

I was caught off-guard by something. In the height-weight charts it says a 5'10 man (in shoes and clothes) would be Small at144-155; Medium build at 153-164; and Large build at 161-175.

Then it gives this description of a 5'5, 210 pound man, "He was a prosperous, intelligent man, but terribly fat. In August, 1862, he was 66 years old and weighed 202 lb. He stood only 5 feet 5 inches in his socks. No pictures of him are available to-day, but he must have been nearly spherical.

He was so over-weight that he had to walk downstairs backwards to avoid jarring his knees and he was quite unable to do up his own shoe-laces. His obesity made him acutely miserable."

5'5/210lbs? That's big, but hardly spherical. Same for the h/w charts. I'm 5'10, 175 in clothes, and I would be considered large. Maybe they were less muscular back then.

Comment

Well, all standards are skewed to much thinner than is currently common, and if you lift heavy weights, just forget about all of it - at 6'1" the BMI cutoff for overweight is 185 lb, if I weighed that right now I'd have an 8 pack.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X