Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat Fat and Grow Slim - Published 1958 - Anyone Read It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by otzi View Post
    Then it gives this description of a 5'5, 210 pound man, "He was a prosperous, intelligent man, but terribly fat. In August, 1862, he was 66 years old and weighed 202 lb. He stood only 5 feet 5 inches in his socks. No pictures of him are available to-day, but he must have been nearly spherical.
    I read that also, and I thought hmmmm. I have been reading more of it also and enjoying it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I've read a little and saving the rest for later. Very interesting stuff!

Comment

This series explores two people referred to as 'Mr. Constant-Weight' and 'Mr. Fatten-Easily'. I'm thinking in today's terms, they'd be 'Mr. Insulin-Resistant' and 'Mr. Insulin Sensitive'. Surely those terms existed in the '50's. Maybe more correctly they'd be 'Mr.s Leptin Res/Leptin Sensitive'. What do you guys think about 'Mr. Constant-Weight' and 'Mr. Fatten-Easily'? Are there only two types of people?

Explained: "He took people whose weights had been constant for many years and persuaded them to eat double or treble their normal amount of food. They did not put on weight.

He showed that this was not due to a failure to digest or assimilate the extra food and suggested that they responded to over-eating by increasing their metabolic rate (rate of food using) and thus burned up the extra calories.

He then over-fed people whose weights had not remained constant in the past and found that they showed no increase in metabolism but became fat.

So two people of the same size, doing the same work and eating the same food will react quite differently when they overeat. One will stay the same weight and the other will gain."

Comment

The Wiki page on William Banting, the "Fat Undertaker",
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting

Apparantly the diet caught on for a while, long enough to coin a phrase "Do you Bant?", as in do you diet?
          He lived to 81, so not a centarian, but a good wicket nevertheless.
          Last edited by Omni; 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM.
          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

This series explores two people referred to as 'Mr. Constant-Weight' and 'Mr. Fatten-Easily'. I'm thinking in today's terms, they'd be 'Mr. Insulin-Resistant' and 'Mr. Insulin Sensitive'. Surely those terms existed in the '50's. Maybe more correctly they'd be 'Mr.s Leptin Res/Leptin Sensitive'. What do you guys think about 'Mr. Constant-Weight' and 'Mr. Fatten-Easily'? Are there only two types of people?

Explained: "He took people whose weights had been constant for many years and persuaded them to eat double or treble their normal amount of food. They did not put on weight.

He showed that this was not due to a failure to digest or assimilate the extra food and suggested that they responded to over-eating by increasing their metabolic rate (rate of food using) and thus burned up the extra calories.

He then over-fed people whose weights had not remained constant in the past and found that they showed no increase in metabolism but became fat.

So two people of the same size, doing the same work and eating the same food will react quite differently when they overeat. One will stay the same weight and the other will gain."
            Agreed, but as for the exact mechanisms, Insulin/Leptin etc., I still think we have a lot of learning to do.
            Only just read a bit more and quite fascinated that in 1856 they had already made the connection between carbohydrates, Obesity & Diabetes, but when Banting went public, even though the diet was a great success, because he was just a layman, the medical profession (Allopathic), felt it was their duty to bury it and CICO was born, because it was not their idea, or was it because they would be out of a job?
            Not too different to what we seem to see happening today.
            Last edited by Omni; 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM.
            "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
              I still think we have a lot of learning to do.
              You hit the nail on the head there, Omni! I'm sure they will be getting a good chuckle out of Primal Blueprint in 2112.

Comment

You hit the nail on the head there, Omni! I'm sure they will be getting a good chuckle out of Primal Blueprint in 2112.
                Hopefully, we'll be there to laugh about it
                If we don't become extinct because they forced us all to become Vegans

Comment

Working...
                X