No announcement yet.

Primal giving me an eating disorder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you need to just start eating healthy, and taking care of those cravings. Primal is a good start but being 100% primal all the time would seem like a complete nightmare. I agree who wants to eggs, meat for breakfast everyday, that is nasty. I always mix it up, if I feel like going out and getting a nice bagel toasted with cream cheese I got for it, no harm done. My motto is everything in moderation. At work my snack is whole pretzels, I eat them all the time. I actually love wheat, and never have a problem with it. Honestly food never gives me any kind of issues, but that is because I do watch what I eat. I do eat garbage like fast food, Doritos, etc. I eat clean but not strict about it. You need to live life. This whole caveman theory is BS! We have evolved to eat certain foods now with no issues.
    Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 08-26-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I know there's already a ton of replies but I really hope you see this. After about 9 months of trying this and that...gave up grains for about 6 months, gave up dairy for one, both of which were experiments... well, here's what primal eating means to me now. Eat what seems right to you. I really like quinoa, it makes me feel good, gets me through long days at work. I eat less bread, but I still eat sandwiches made with Ezekiel bread: organic turkey, organic provolone, mustard, cucumber, and organic spinach... Stonyfield organic greek yogurt is another thing I won't ever give up again. But if I eat dairy, I eat pineapple, too. Bromelain (enzyme in pineapple) helps the body digest protein.

Think about it this way... Grok would do what feels right. Grok would never stop eating something that made him feel good cuz the internet said it was bad. Grok would trust his body first and foremost. If something felt good, Grok would keep doing it. Don't beat yourself up trying to follow someone else's rules. Make your food decisions based on what pleases YOU!

Comment

I came to this because I wanted to start a thread on eating disorders and was just checking that i wasn't repeating. I have an eating disorder that has been under control for 15 years although once or twice a year I may have a stress response. I am the most level headed person you will ever meet and my eating disorder manifested itself in my 30s although I know the seeds were sown in childhood. It is very important that I do not "diet" as this could trigger the problem again, however, I cannot deal with being over weight and therefore I have to address healthy eating in some way. It took a real leap of faith to give up smoking and accept that I may put on weight. I did, I put on a stone. I've hated it. I feel like I want a sign on my back saying "my other body is a porsche". My point is this - the cure for an eating disorder is to eat. The cure for the thing causing the eating disorder is something different and you have to find the underlying reason before you can treat it. This problem you describe is nothing to to do with food and only you can identify what is causing you to want to treat the pain with food. I have read every book written by so called experts on eating disorders and for me none of them seem to really get it. Food is fuel nothing more. An eating disorder is never about food. It seems to me that Paleo is a cure for the food side of eating disorders because you can trust that you can eat without putting on weight. It's a massive problem for ED sufferers to eat a meal with carbs and find they weigh 4lb more the next day because of the water held in carbs weight. This subject is so broad that I could write my own book on it. For me, although my problems stemmed from food rewards as a child, the eating disorder manifested itself when I was married to someone who made me feel unworthy and food became symbolic of wanting good things and feeling I didn't deserve them - binge and purge. You need to find the source of your problem and why it's manifesting itself now.

Comment

Originally posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
          I think you need to just start eating healthy, and taking care of those cravings. Primal is a good start but being 100% primal all the time would seem like a complete nightmare. I agree who wants to eggs, meat for breakfast everyday, that is nasty. I always mix it up, if I feel like going out and getting a nice bagel toasted with cream cheese I got for it, no harm done. My motto is everything in moderation. At work my snack is whole pretzels, I eat them all the time. I actually love wheat, and never have a problem with it. Honestly food never gives me any kind of issues, but that is because I do watch what I eat. I do eat garbage like fast food, Doritos, etc. I eat clean but not strict about it. You need to live life. This whole caveman theory is BS! We have evolved to eat certain foods now with no issues.
          Please note that this person believes that the science behind why we don't eat grains is BS. He also admits that food never gives him problems.

Most of us believe that the science behind why we choose to forgo grains is valid. Likewise, most of us experience in our daily lives the impact that foods have on us -- both positive and negative.

None of us are not "living life." I'm living life very well utilizing the PB. It has enhanced my life.

By now, most of you realize that I'm not one who is going around saying 100%. I'm always telling people to keep it simple. Sometimes that does mean having a bagel, but more often than not it doesn't.

For me, the PB makes sense. It's enhanced our lives. It started when DH was having serious gut issues and his naturopath suggested that he go gluten free. I started to research that, and realized that grain-free would be easier. And, it would be easier if our whole family went that way, as a matter of budget, family meals, etc.

The benefits have been enormous. Not only has DH been healing his gut, but any discomforts that I'd just gotten used to in my body (bloating/constipation; PMS symptoms; a certain body fat percentage even though I was active) have completely disappeared. And they only reappear when I am consistently "off primal" (i.e. 3-5 straight days of having grains of some form).

For breakfast, we do diversify even though we usually have eggs for breakfast. The diversity is often in method of cooking as well as what is served along side. That usually doesn't involve meat, either. It's usually vegetables and sometimes fruit. For my son and my husband, breakfast is always fruit plus either coconut cream or raw yogurt (DS), eggs and vegetables, a cup of bone broth. For myself, most days I have 2-3 eggs and sometimes an orange, though on weekends I do the big eggs-and-veg thing.

A friend of mine is also paleo and she alternates between eggs (which I think she has 3 days a week), her "parfait" which is berries, coconut cream (she mixes in some protein powder too, i think), some chopped nuts and seeds which she apparently makes into some kind of granola, and an 'asian breakfast' which is basically a broth poorer over some meat and veggies which she did as a dry stir fry.

Bagels, while wonderful, are not required breakfast foods in order to demonstrate that you are "living life." Sure, have one if you want one, but it's not necessary.

I have always watched what I ate and I've been through many iterations of my own diet. This is the one that seems to be the best and healthiest for me and has given me a lot of insight and freedom. I find that it draws me into my natural rhythms (of really only eating two meals a day, sometimes a snack with that), btu it also keeps me and my family really healthy and strong. We enjoy this process.

And we've all seen the health benefits. DS is very tall, strong, and sturdy. He's very healthy. DH's gut issues are basically solved, and any issues that I had are as well. We feel better this way.

Do we still enjoy treats on a regular basis? Yes. We had cake for DS's birthday and cookies too. And, we get good gelato on a regular basis (every 8 weeks or so). Sometimes we go to the fish and chip shop and get a burger or some fish/chips. On very, very rare occasion we'll get pizza (normally if a friend makes it because otherwise pizza here is terrible).

But it's definitely in the 20%, and I think I did some math about the average number of meals that I eat and how many of them include non-primal things and it was less than 5%.

I think that primal makes living my life better, so I'm going to continue.

But by all means, if you don't think primal is making your life better, then stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
            I agree who wants to eggs, meat for breakfast everyday, that is nasty.
            you bark at the wrong tree

Comment

Get busy

Hi there, I only got up to page three of responses so this has probably been said, but thought I'd lend support/credence to the idea. I know what it feels like to become obsessive, but as I've only been (partly) primal for a month or so I can also categorically say that I know how amazing you feel when you switch from conventional eating to primal. I'm only partly because I'm pregnant, and compared to previous pregnancy I feel amazing.
              We have also recently embarked on a reduce personal debt campaigne, and frankly, living tight can feel like you are sitting in your home staring at 4 walls and obsessing over the one thing you spend money on - food. I've found a bunch of free things in the community which have helped save my sanity immensely, and have also started growing my own vege which gives an awesome feeling of satisfaction, not only knowing how clean you're eating, but also knowing you're putting food on the table at extremely low cost... I strongly recommend if you have the climate and time- space isn't a huge issue even herbs in window pots is enough to feel good. Also, can join the local library and hire for free DVDs on learning another language etc. the world is your oyster once you know where to look for free diversions!! As someone who knows what it's like to battle a mild (is that possible?) ED, I know keeping busy is the only thing that works for me.

Finally, in the book he mentions low impact cardio (this is from memory and I'm a newbie so don't hold it against me if I get my terms mixed up!) as good for maintenance but if you want to lose weight you need to do the heavy lifting... Is that getting missed in your routine? Not sure if you've covered that in another comment. Might be linked with your weight fluctuations. I have to keep reminding myself its not a diet, it's a lifestyle! And not to focus on the food alone

Comment

Well I am back to re starting again. I am having difficulty cos I have for some reason become obsessed with GMO and chemicals in food, but at the same time total 360 here, don't seem to be able to stick to paleo or primal. So then I think and think what can I eat, I am sick of eating eggs all the time it seems and then I think what can I have. Partly my fault cos not usign the recipes I have gotten off line etc. but I can commiserate... I don't way Paleo gave me an eating disorder but made me look at what I was eating and clean it up - did great for few months then bang huge carb craving and now just not eating enough or well when i do eat.

Comment

I'm sorry but primal didn't do anything to you. Just because you are crazy doesn't mean you should blame the tool (the primal diet).
                  http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Working...
                  X