Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nutritional Ketosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Thanks for your replies to my above post. I will keep going with the PB lifestyle and do some playing around with the ratios of protien, carb, fat. I do think at first I was eating too much protien...at times well over 100g. I think I want to keep it below 80 and increase my fats a bit while keeping my carbs around 70-100 depending upon my acitivty level for the day.

    Comment


    • #62
      Great thread.

      I have been low carb/high protein for months wondering what's up. My weight loss has stalled but inches have come off but after 4 months..1-2 lbs is redic! I've been told I'm eating too much protein(about 10/11 oz per day-300 grams), trainer RX. Thanks to Paleobird, I understand I need more fat!

      Given that 140-145lbs is my goal weight (5'9), 60-72 grams is probably where I need to be regarding protein. I'm just terrified of being so hungry due to cutting that amount of protein. If I limit the protein, increase the fat with carbs under 50grams, that should get me to ketosis..maybe? Or will that be too high carb?

      It's VERY confusing to me. I need to know the exact amount of fat to increase due to my protein decrease. :/ Perhaps this is a "Choose your own adventure" thru fat as everyone is different. Just wish I had guidelines for Ketosis.

      Thoughts?

      Thanks

      B
      Last edited by Trojan; 08-29-2012, 06:02 AM.
      SBF% 20.5
      CBF% 20.0
      Goal....14%

      Muscle weighs more than fat and scales are evil.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Trojan View Post
        Great thread.

        I have been low carb/high protein for months wondering what's up. My weight loss has stalled but inches have come off but after 4 months..1-2 lbs is redic! I've been told I'm eating too much protein(about 10/11 oz per day-300 grams), trainer RX. Thanks to Paleobird, I understand I need more fat!
        That's a heck of a lot. You're not confusing "grams of protein" with "grams of a high-protein food" are you? The latter, of course, will have some fat and some water in it.

        i think you're fine. Weight-loss is pretty much irrelevant, if inches are coming off. Muscle is heavier than fat.

        Given that 140-145lbs is my goal weight (5'9), 60-72 grams is probably where I need to be regarding protein. I'm just terrified of being so hungry due to cutting that amount of protein. If I limit the protein, increase the fat with carbs under 50grams, that should get me to ketosis..maybe? Or will that be too high carb?

        ...

        Thoughts?
        My thought is that if your body-shape (or composition) is changing, then you have no big worries. Someone like Jimmy Moore might have to go into deep ketosis -- what he's experimenting with right now -- you probably don't have to. Something like 70 g of protein probably represents about 10 ounces of meat; so if you're understanding "protein" as I suspect you might be you're already eating at around that.

        Comment


        • #64
          Am I the only person who isn't sure how you judge protein vs. fat in protein? For example, I had a steak this morning, with bacon. Cashews for a snack (I have an eating window today), and hamburger with guacamole and salsa for lunch/last meal. probably not enough fat in that...but how do you figure out how much fat you are having? I am very curious to try this, as my body is hanging onto fat for several reasons that may or may not allow this to work. But what the heck -- I'm bored. let's try something new. And I could use some energy.

          I've been unlucky in finding a website stating menus or food lists to focus on, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. Any advice: much appreciated.
          The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

          Griff's Cholesterol Primer

          Comment


          • #65
            FitDay, MyFitness Pal or Sparks People all have the Food Diaries will help you track your intakes. It will take some guesstimating at what food is exactly sometimes, but you just do your best!
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Leida View Post
              FitDay, MyFitness Pal or Sparks People all have the Food Diaries will help you track your intakes. It will take some guesstimating at what food is exactly sometimes, but you just do your best!
              Right, you plug in say 8oz of steak, and 3oz of nuts or whatever and it gives you the complete macro breakdown. And it will keep a running tally for the day and give you a cute little pie chart at the end.

              Tips when doing this, try to measure stuff by weight, not volume, e.g. a cup of chopped onions can be a lot more or less depending on the fineness of the chopping. Also measure metric if you can. It's much more accurate.

              Personally, I like SparkPeople but have heard good things about Chron-o-Meter as well. Fitday is notoriously off in a lot of their numbers. The livestrong site has a really good database for all things grass fed. But play around with a few a find the one you like.
              Last edited by Paleobird; 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM.

              Comment


              • #67
                Trojan - I also have the same issue. I was originally moderate carb/high fat/moderate protein, but went down the route of moderate carb/low fat/high protein and was eating 200-300g protein/day. Didn't lose any lasting weight this way for several months, and started bingeing on foods high in fat, so I'm going back to the higher fat approach. I'd like to know what happens to you with your new macros too
                My chocolatey Primal journey

                Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                  Trojan - I also have the same issue. I was originally moderate carb/high fat/moderate protein, but went down the route of moderate carb/low fat/high protein and was eating 200-300g protein/day. Didn't lose any lasting weight this way for several months, and started bingeing on foods high in fat, so I'm going back to the higher fat approach. I'd like to know what happens to you with your new macros too
                  That's interesting. My findings tend to agree with yours, in that I find that one of the biggest benefits of this way of eating is eating a higher fat diet. Especially one that is higher in saturated fat. Although I thrive on a higher than average protein diet, a very high protein intake puts a massive strain on the liver and kidneys, so that's best avoided. I am suited to moderate rather than low carbs, but limiting carbs and having a low carb breakfast seem to get the best results for me.
                  F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                    That's interesting. My findings tend to agree with yours, in that I find that one of the biggest benefits of this way of eating is eating a higher fat diet. Especially one that is higher in saturated fat. Although I thrive on a higher than average protein diet, a very high protein intake puts a massive strain on the liver and kidneys, so that's best avoided. I am suited to moderate rather than low carbs, but limiting carbs and having a low carb breakfast seem to get the best results for me.
                    Yes, I am functioning better this way too! I couldn't do the low carb, but moderate carbs makes me feel good. I break my fast at lunch with low carb, but I find that if it's too much food, I go into a food coma anyway (ie, 1 lb of fish=30% of daily calories) How many calories do you consume at breakfast?
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

                    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I consume around 400 cals at breakfast ( v low carb), 900 at lunch (moderate carb) and 1300 at dinner (relatively high carb at around 100 g) with no cals ever in between. I believe I would benefit in shifting more cals to breakfast.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                        I consume around 400 cals at breakfast ( v low carb), 900 at lunch (moderate carb) and 1300 at dinner (relatively high carb at around 100 g) with no cals ever in between. I believe I would benefit in shifting more cals to breakfast.
                        Hm okay. Whenever I eat about 800-1000 cals for lunch from meat, I get food coma. I avoid this by drinking coffee with cream for only 200-300. I fast through breakfast, and typically eat 1000-3000 calories for dinner. I want to shift to daytime eating, but I hate having that heavy feeling of eating throughout the day and going to bed not very full. Have you ever had this experience?
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

                        Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                          Hm okay. Whenever I eat about 800-1000 cals for lunch from meat, I get food coma. I avoid this by drinking coffee with cream for only 200-300. I fast through breakfast, and typically eat 1000-3000 calories for dinner. I want to shift to daytime eating, but I hate having that heavy feeling of eating throughout the day and going to bed not very full. Have you ever had this experience?
                          Sorry - no. It's v difficult to advise - lunch for me is heavy on fat, moderate on protein, moderate on carbs. I would say that you are eating way too much protein overall. I eat a lot of vegetables with every meal and that seems to work for me.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                            Sorry - no. It's v difficult to advise - lunch for me is heavy on fat, moderate on protein, moderate on carbs. I would say that you are eating way too much protein overall. I eat a lot of vegetables with every meal and that seems to work for me.
                            Alright, going to try to dial it down. But I love meat so much :<
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

                            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              Alright, going to try to dial it down. But I love meat so much :<
                              I have always craved protein and missed it when I didn't get enough so I understand where you are coming from. Just think you are going to extremes and that's not helping you. Good night to you my lovely :-)
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Hi Ladies (and gentlemen)

                                i'm finding this conversation extremely interesting. I'm 5'0 at 137 and have been between 135-140 for months now. I'm finding the idea of maybe too much protein very interesting. i would like to lose 15-20 lbs but having the hardest time.

                                I think it was PaleoBird that suggested lowering the protein to abot 45-60 grams a day which is fine but my question is, where do you get all those fat calories from?

                                i dont eat fruit, nuts or dairy and its really taken away the bloat but the scale is still not budging. i feel much much better on super low carb but i dont think i've been getting enough fat and eating way too much protein

                                do you just eat lots of avacado? coconut oil and olive oil to cook everything? thats the only fats i can think of but i know they can add up super fast too

                                jaime

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X