Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September Whole 30!!! Who's with me!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is day 15, and going very well. I'm not super strict in that I have kept the scale and the odd tiniest bit of non W30 approved ingredient in something else here and there I'm okay with. The big change for me has been the no dairy and alcohol part.

Here are my halfway results:

Day 1 *************** Day 15
    Height: 5 ft 6 in
    Weight: 150.6***********145.2 (-5.4 lb) Seriously?!
    waist: 29.5 in************28.75 in (-0.75 in)
    belly (at navel): 33 in*******31.5 in (-1.5 in)
    hips: 39.25 in************38.5 in (-0.75 in)
    right thigh: 23 in**********22.5 in (-0.5 in).
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• hi to those new to the thread! Day 11 for me. Had a huge sinus headache/stuffiness yesterday afternoon and into the evening. I did ok eating but probably ate more fruit than necessary. i cooked up a lot of food yesterday to have it for the week.

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
      Well, I did not make it through my BIL's 50th birthday without making very poor choices. Sigh, my Sept. Whole 30 is now a Whole 28. Beginning again.
      well, at least it was only 2 days in. good luck. this has been a good time for me to do it because there are very few social events for me. I am not strong at all in the face of temptation at social events.

Originally posted by TLoRu View Post
      On day 17 today! Doing well... Nothing too crazy. Trying to curb the snacking bw meals and find out what been irritating my stomach. I've recently picked up some kombucha, so well see if that does the trick.

MissPiggy, I think I have a nut addiction as well. They're my go to snack, but I've found that if I don't buy them, I won't eat them. Same goes for the nut butters. I also struggle w eating enough fat sometimes too! I've been having a bloated stomach in the evening and I'm wondering if the overconsumption of nuts may have triggered something. They're such a quick and easy treat! I miss them already

Anyway, I've been making some great dinners lately. I love squash season so I'm taking full advantage. Yesterday I made butternut squash soup, so Delish. Also made spaghetti squash. I tend to keep this made in the fridge and throw chicken on it, tuna, or whatever I want for a nice snack or meal.

Good luck everyone!
      I love squash, too. butternut is my favorite. the soup sounds like a good idea.

Originally posted by Leaflard View Post
      Hello all :-) I've been lurking in this month's thread and had been in last month's thread and am going to officially join in. Today will be my 34th day of Whole30 and I'm really enjoying eating so cleanly. I wish everyone well and look forward to taking the journey together!
      glad you're joining in this time. please share any of your wisdom with us!

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
      Today is day 15, and going very well. I'm not super strict in that I have kept the scale and the odd tiniest bit of non W30 approved ingredient in something else here and there I'm okay with. The big change for me has been the no dairy and alcohol part.

Here are my halfway results:

Day 1 *************** Day 15
      Height: 5 ft 6 in
      Weight: 150.6***********145.2 (-5.4 lb) Seriously?!
      waist: 29.5 in************28.75 in (-0.75 in)
      belly (at navel): 33 in*******31.5 in (-1.5 in)
      hips: 39.25 in************38.5 in (-0.75 in)
      right thigh: 23 in**********22.5 in (-0.5 in).
      great results so far! I'm waiting until the end but I know I've shed water weight.

Comment

• Reporting in on my first day! I think it went well and I feel okay- will feel better after I'm done detoxing/recovering from the weird weekend I posted about earlier. Any comments or constructive criticism are welcome!

Morning: 2 omega3 enhanced eggs, 2 homemade turkey sausage patties, 1/2 cup of sweet potato cubes cooked in coconut oil, lemon detox tea.
        Lunch: small-ass salad with romaine lettuce, baby carrots, yellow squash, vinegar and olive oil.
        Snack: peach, iced coffee with coconut milk.
        Dinner: Primal-ized chicken tagine: 3 chicken legs (2 with skin, 1 without), sauce made of bone broth, spices, and preserved lemon peel. 1 cup of steamed chopped cauliflower.

I had more carbs than I wanted to, most of which came from the peach and then little bits from the vegetables throughout the day. I think I'll cut them back more by just having a half piece of fruit, since the peaches I have are huge.

Comment

• Day 2 went pretty awesome, I was suprised by the fact I still felt full of energy once I'd finished at work (I was a bit like the energerize bunny in fact ). So I put it to good use and went to lift heavy things at the gym. Food-wise I had a BAS with mackerel fillet for lunch, beef burgers (made from my throw mince and few herbs together recipe) and asparagus tips for dinner and then frozen blackberries, blueberries + raspberries with coconut milk + cinnamon.

Day 3 (which is today) is going well too, I've got food all planned out - lunch is a BAS with beef burgers (gluten, wheat and presative free ones from a company called Muddy Boots) and dinner is trout fillet + broccoli + kale and possibly some cashew nuts for dessert.

Comment

• Day 3 went really well. My husband grilled chicken thighs and they were so delicious! I suddenly feel a lot more alive. I took my girls to the splash pad (playground with sprinklers) last night and instead of sitting and watching like all the other parents do, I PLAYED! The girls were so happy to have Mama running through the spray with them, playing tag, climbing on the play structures and going down the slide. At first I felt a little silly (after all, I am 44), but then I just surrendered to the joy of play.

Comment

• Today is Day 4 for me. The hardest thing is usually when I have to go to the cafeteria at work - while I can get Paleo things I tend to get tempted. So, I cooked and packed my meals for the week. Spinach and bacon fritta for breakfasts, chicken fajitas for lunches... Also packed a bunch of little baggies of snacks (mac nuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, grapes, blackberries, etc) in case I get the munchies.

Good luck everyone
              It is always too early to quit.
              Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
              http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

Comment

• I've already had to reboot my clean-eating Primal September. Every time I cut sugar out, it comes back with a vengeance at the end of the restriction period. I had ice cream a couple of times over the weekend (with hot fudge!) and a mild acne flare-up as a result. Fortunately, no yeast infection, so that seems to be dealt with (recurring issue last month). Now, to figure out how to keep sugar out of my diet and at a minimum for the rest of my life...
                Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by JayGee View Post
                  I took my girls to the splash pad (playground with sprinklers) last night and instead of sitting and watching like all the other parents do, I PLAYED! .
                  That is what life should be about.

Comment

• Hey all,

Just completed my first day of the Whole30. I have a quick question concerning fats. I'm currently living in Turkey, and am having a hard time finding a market with organic/grass-fed meat - specifically beef and lamb. As a result, the only fats I'm eating right now are coming from the coconut oil I brought over with me from the States, and a few eggs a day. The majority of my protein comes from chicken, eggs and fish, but I NEED to eat more fat. So, should I go ahead and get the regular beef or lamb from the butcher's market, and not worry about how the meat was raised OR continue to only eat coconut oil/olive oil and eggs, thereby restricting the amount of fat in my diet. As a side note, olives, for now, are out. I ate a few olives yesterday morning before reading the ingredients, found "corn oil" written on the side (in english) and immediately subsisted. I would go hog-wild on the olives if I could find unprocessed ones, but since I'm not yet familiar with Turkish, it's difficult to read ingredient lists at the deli where olives are sold. Also, avocados are not in season yet..
                    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Comment

• Day 7 for me, yay! Things are still going really well for me. I think the transition has been extra easy because I was already mostly primal (aside from some naughty gf bread) for a couple weeks.

I am still missing my chocolate whole milk from the local dairy but otherwise I am feeling great.
                      yay!

Comment

• To Paul119: I was in Turkey in May and loved all of the lamb I could get. I just moved from Saudi Arabia to Afghanistan and would bet a pretty penny that most beef and lamb in Turkey and for much of the broader Middle East is grass fed. I wouldn't worry to much. I'd be concerned about living in the West and eating grain fed beef (gives me the creeps). I say chow down on anything you can find, especially from a butcher's shop that gets daily shipments of cow, lamb, and chicken! Bottoms up!

Comment

• Thank you for starting this thread. I needed a re-committment to paleo/primal eating, and a Whole30 sounds perfect. This summer, I seriously fell off the wagon, and was back to eating ice cream and pizza like it was going out of style. I'm on Day 4, and doing well. I'm probably overdoing the fruit and nuts right now, but will try to back off a bit and eat my meat/veg/fat like a good girl! I'm very interested in the re-introduction of foods in October. I have a feeling sugar and dairy are causing my bloating issues. Thanks for the support, all!

Comment

• Sounds like it's going pretty good for most of you. Day 12 for me and it's going good. going to do some exercise tonight. LHT and probably some kettlebell. I haven't done much deliberate exercise beyond walking yet on the whole 30. wanted to ease in so I didn't have blood sugar issues.

namelesswonder, good luck to you in slaying the sugar dragon again. I know I could get into binge territory easily at the end of the whole30 again. it's so hard to resist.

Originally posted by paul119 View Post
                            Hey all,

Just completed my first day of the Whole30. I have a quick question concerning fats. I'm currently living in Turkey, and am having a hard time finding a market with organic/grass-fed meat - specifically beef and lamb. As a result, the only fats I'm eating right now are coming from the coconut oil I brought over with me from the States, and a few eggs a day. The majority of my protein comes from chicken, eggs and fish, but I NEED to eat more fat. So, should I go ahead and get the regular beef or lamb from the butcher's market, and not worry about how the meat was raised OR continue to only eat coconut oil/olive oil and eggs, thereby restricting the amount of fat in my diet. As a side note, olives, for now, are out. I ate a few olives yesterday morning before reading the ingredients, found "corn oil" written on the side (in english) and immediately subsisted. I would go hog-wild on the olives if I could find unprocessed ones, but since I'm not yet familiar with Turkish, it's difficult to read ingredient lists at the deli where olives are sold. Also, avocados are not in season yet..
                            Originally posted by afsjesse View Post
                            To Paul119: I was in Turkey in May and loved all of the lamb I could get. I just moved from Saudi Arabia to Afghanistan and would bet a pretty penny that most beef and lamb in Turkey and for much of the broader Middle East is grass fed. I wouldn't worry to much. I'd be concerned about living in the West and eating grain fed beef (gives me the creeps). I say chow down on anything you can find, especially from a butcher's shop that gets daily shipments of cow, lamb, and chicken! Bottoms up!
                            +1 I would think what you'll get there is much better than CAFO meats here. Enjoy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              My former carb fiend who used to eat nothing but banana and bread before I get clued in that she has that minor gut problems and started packing all her food and forbade day-care to give her a shred of anything else, swept by the table with cookies and sweets, making straight for shrimp with the delighted chirping: "Shrimp! Shrimps!" The story made me so happy!
                              That is awesome!! How fun She knows the good stuff now. This reminds me of when we had our 6 year old niece over for a slumber party and we made breakfast for dinner. Cheesy scrambled eggs and bacon. She cleaned her plate and I asked her if she wanted more eggs. Her reply? "Eggs, no. Bacon, YES!" Love it

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                                My problem with sugar: I can do a Whole30 or 21 Day Sugar Detox at the drop of a hat, but I will still add sugar back into my diet just as much before afterwards, no matter how long its been. I'm starting to think I'm just genetically predisposed to be a sugar monster.
                                I completely get this way, too. I've started to wonder if it is just not long enough to be off "the juice" for me (yeah, it feels like a drug). Perhaps if someone has been a sugar-fiend for years and years it takes longer than 21-30 days to curb it. I'm thinking maybe I should do a Whole180. Or even a Whole365. That thought is somewhat frightening, though.

Not sure if it is how you've been, but I've been a consistent sugar over-eater for as long as I can remember. I remember buying a "Big Cherry" on my way home from school at least 3x/week in Elementary School. Pink wrapper, chocolate and nuts covered single maraschino cherry about the size of a ping pong ball filled with sugar goo. And often I would get a custard filled maple bar on my way to school -- again, in Elementary School. Where the heck did I get this kind of money in 4th or 5th grade, is what I want to know! That's at least $2/day of sugar snacking. Perhaps 21-30 days just doesn't cut it in some cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X