Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September Whole 30!!! Who's with me!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Need advice... I want to do this, but have a wedding September 15. The groom is in the restaurant industry so the food will be splurge worthy. If it was just crappy food, I'd just not eat, but it will be good. My plan was starting on the 5th.... do I just wait until the 16th? Or just go for it. My Whole 30 goal is to eliminate chocolate and coffee and ice cream issues. I don't believe in passing on exceptional foods...but to be honest, something non-primal amazing crosses my plate maybe once every 3-4 months (except the coffee, chocolate and ice cream). My issue isn't with frequent "binge days", its with day to day little things....and I'd be curious to see how a "big splurge" impacts my ability to keep my little splurges at bay.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Ellen View Post
      Okay,We have nothing besides Whole30 approved stuff at home anyway, it was just the office junk I was holding on to. I am stronger than the non-paleo free "office treats" of diet sodas, cheese, and half and half!
      The office treats can be hard. At my office people come around offering things and I always politely decline. For celebrations there is often a potluck and then whenever work sponsors events there are "healthy" snacks. I say "healthy" because I don't think so-they're usually pretzels, baked chips, twizzlers, or sugar free popsicles. Every large meeting seems to have soda (though there tends to be some bottled water). I feel surrounded sometimes.

      Comment


      • #48
        Just go for it. There's always going to be a future event that is food worthy. Just take it one meal at a time and move forward. Besides, doing this with a bunch of like-minded individuals is fun. Onwards and upwards.
        ----------------------------------------
        F, 48, 5'10"
        Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
        Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

        Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by KimNKY View Post
          One of my goals will be to cut back on fruit. I've been eating too many carbs, and most of them are coming from there. I'm down to 2 or 3 servings daily now from 5 or 6 before, but want to keep it at 1 per day. I bought coconut creamer for my coffee but need to find some other way to sweeten- ground up dates, maybe? Or just learn to drink it unsweetened.
          To cut back on fruit, try buying only enough for a week at a time, so if you run out, you can't have anymore (yes, you could go out and buy it, but for me, that works well enough). I have found that the thick coconut creme in a can of Native Forest coconut milk (haven't found another brand that thickens like this one does) is sweet enough for coffee/tea beverages and definitely recommend giving it a shot without sweeteners. Technically, the Whole30 does not allow for any added sugar, so a sweetener should not be used anyway, but we all have different goals

          For me, it's
          -low fiber
          -no sugar (actually failing at this recently because my supplements allow me to have some raw local honey in my chai without getting a yeast or acne flare-up)
          -low carb until I'm a week or two symptom free (no indication of yeast infection)
          -no alcohol
          -limit dairy (to yogurt only, probably will clarify my butter, but not stressing about it)
          (and the usual, no legumes, soy, or grains)

          All in the name of digestive health and destroying this candida overgrowth once and for all!
          Last edited by namelesswonder; 08-28-2012, 07:18 AM.
          Depression Lies

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
            Need advice... I want to do this, but have a wedding September 15. The groom is in the restaurant industry so the food will be splurge worthy. If it was just crappy food, I'd just not eat, but it will be good. My plan was starting on the 5th.... do I just wait until the 16th? Or just go for it. My Whole 30 goal is to eliminate chocolate and coffee and ice cream issues. I don't believe in passing on exceptional foods...but to be honest, something non-primal amazing crosses my plate maybe once every 3-4 months (except the coffee, chocolate and ice cream). My issue isn't with frequent "binge days", its with day to day little things....and I'd be curious to see how a "big splurge" impacts my ability to keep my little splurges at bay.
            Wait and see, would be my recommendation. I tried to do a Whole30 in April, but with exceptions for a couple of events (I think one was a birthday, and one was Easter). It was a whole weekend off, basically, and I never really got back on. If you get close to the date and it's going well, and you think one day off isn't going to mess up your groove, go for it.
            Depression Lies

            Comment


            • #51
              I'm in!! I have been gaining and losing the same 5-10 lbs for over a year now, and I'm ready to move on!


              Goal: Feel good, be active!

              Comment


              • #52
                you think one day off isn't going to mess up your groove, go for it.
                My only thought is that they are so adamant on no small slips as it messes up the systems. It would probably literally be a few drinks and a potentially non-primal meal (chicken? steak?) and maybe cake, so not an all day bender. I guess I will go forward, and see how it goes. I can also start over, and it is probably nothing but a benefit to eat Whole 30 anyway.

                http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                Comment


                • #53
                  Day 2 is going well! No breakfast due to lack of hunger (late dinner last night -- I'm not doing the "eat within 30 min of waking" thing), then had another bowl of chili for lunch. BAS will be dinner. My husband and I are both on board as of yesterday. We have also been starting to read up on fermenting foods -- pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, and other vegetables. Going to head to the midday farmer's market tomorrow during the lunch hour to see what fresh veggies we can find for the week to eat fresh/grilled/steamed, and *maybe* fermented!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Hey, I'd love to join you all! I started my first Whole30 six days ago, but started over today (had a slip up---hahaha--- with some cookie dough yesterday).

                    I'm excited about this!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I'm in. I did 13 weeks in the spring and have been semi whole 30 since. I'd like to refresh again

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Count me in too! I am on Day 5 of my first whole 30. I was reading about it last Thursday and decided to just jump in the next day instead of waiting for Sept 1. I am following the strict Whole30 rules. I need some structure.

                        I have been dabbling in Primal for about a year but haven't fully committed until now. My ultimate long term goals are fat loss and improvement of allergies and sinus issues. I'm fighting a sinus headache right now, as a matter of fact. Anyway, so far it's been going good for me. Looking forward to having a group on here for support.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Hey, I'd love to join you all! I started my first Whole30 six days ago, but started over today (had a slip up---hahaha--- with some cookie dough yesterday).

                          I'm excited about this!

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by PrimalLizard View Post
                            I have been dabbling in Primal for about a year but haven't fully committed until now. My ultimate long term goals are fat loss and improvement of allergies and sinus issues. I'm fighting a sinus headache right now, as a matter of fact.
                            PrimalLizard-Have you tried eliminating dairy before? I found that anytime I have dairy I get sinus congestion and headaches that don't clear up until a week or so after the most recent exposure. I have found the only thing I can tolerate is ghee and occasional grass-fed butter (though not when doing a Whole30-today was my day 8).

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              To cut back on fruit, try buying only enough for a week at a time, so if you run out, you can't have anymore (yes, you could go out and buy it, but for me, that works well enough). I have found that the thick coconut creme in a can of Native Forest coconut milk (haven't found another brand that thickens like this one does) is sweet enough for coffee/tea beverages and definitely recommend giving it a shot without sweeteners. Technically, the Whole30 does not allow for any added sugar, so a sweetener should not be used anyway, but we all have different goals
                              Thanks for the advice! When the farmers market is running I do try to only shop there and once a week so the fruit idea should definitely be do-able. With peach and apple season coming, it'll be better to have the "single servings" instead of buying a melon or container of berries and mindlessly eating the whole thing. :/
                              I just looked and realized the coconut creamer I've been using has an added sweetener- D'OH! So will also look for the kind in a can. I'd like to completely cut the coffee out and have been working on that (down to 1-2 cups a day from almost a whole pot)... but I'm physically addicted to caffeine, and get headaches when I don't have it. So maybe this will help me detox and finally kick the habit!

                              This is my first whole30 so not sure how my body will react, but here are my goals:
                              -ZERO grains!
                              -Cut out all dairy except homemade Greek yogurt
                              -One piece/serving of fruit per day
                              -Learn to get a good balance of omega 3 / omega 6
                              -Try to eliminate caffeine
                              -Drink only water, coconut water, tea, and coffee
                              -Do weight lifting exercise 3 times per week
                              Last edited by KimNKY; 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM. Reason: Added afterthoughts

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I'm in. Summer was kind of a disaster for me - especially last week when I was on vacation. I have started back on track two days ago and am looking to stay clean at least through the end of September. I will keep dairy in my diet as a source of fat and calories, but ZERO grains, no caffeine, and back to the gym!
                                It is always too early to quit.
                                Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

                                "Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
                                http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X