Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September Whole 30!!! Who's with me!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Day 15! I am officially halfway through my whole30. =)

    I had a small problem last night. I came home and there was a pepperoni pizza on the kitchen counter!! I freaked out and felt like I wanted it SO bad despite knowing it was shit ingredients + wheat to make me sick. Instead I ended up binging on a bunch of primal safe stuff and overate tremendously. Like 3 deviled eggs, a pickle, some olives, some baby carrots, over a cup of roasted veggies plus pot roast.

    I felt SO sick from overeating and so ashamed of myself for letting the pizza spin me like that. =(
    Stop for a second, and let's 'reframe the way you are thinking". The pizza did not 'spin you out of control'. In fact, you demonstrated the opposite ability --- you stayed completely within control, despite the negative and extraneous foods that were also available to you during the same time frame. You made a conscious decision, based on your knowledge, and emotional stability, to choose the alternative, healthy food versus choosing the available, unhealthy choice. You chose the healthy choice. You made a conscious decision and based on that decision, your self confidence and sense of self, also grew. Congratulations for not succumbing to the unhealthy choice, but rather, reaching for the healthy choice. And unless you ate an entire car load of pot roast, I don't think you could have overate.

    By the way, who made that dinner? It looks aaaaammmmmaaaazing! I haven't made pot roast in about 2 years, but you've got me planning a dinner in the near future. Hope you are having a great day, qqemokitty. /louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
      I have worried a little lately that I actually don't eat as much as I could/should. Sometimes I will have hunger late at night right before sleep. I typically eat dinner around 7 and go to bed around 12 and I don't eat anything after dinner. So I was thinking about stepping up my intake at night a little anyway. I notice that when other people summarize their meals here they tend to eat a lot more at a sitting than I do. :x

      I think the shame mostly comes from the fact that I felt out of control. I let that stupid shitty cold pizza have WAY too much power over me. The thing is, my roomie has basically the opposite of primal. He lives off beer, soy, pepsi, tofu, rice, and fast food with the occasional shrimp thrown in. There are tons of "trigger" foods around all the time and I haven't batted an eyelash. But for some reason last night, being confronted with that pizza just threw me for a loop!

      I think the sick feeling came from my perceived guilt/shame which was just me being dumb. You guys are so right, I didn't do anything wrong. As far as how much pot roast I had, it was about this much, fork included for scale :P (pic from earlier in the week):

      qqemokitty: Don't worry about not eating enough -- unless you are feeling really really unsatisfied. You AND I have enough fat stores to keep our bodies going for quite some time. Ever read those stories about people who get lost in the wilderness and who survive being lost for 60+ days on water only? I eat dinner around 5-6pm and I never snack after dinner. I kinda feel sorta hungry around 8:00-8:30pm, but I'm in bed by then. I'm up so early in the morning that I'm so tired at night. But I ignore those little hunger pangs --- they are nothing major and are more of an inconvenience. Once I fall asleep, I done until 6 am. At that time, I have a nice hot, coffee with 1/4 cup of coconut milk. That keeps me going until about 12 Noon when I have my lunch...and then back to dinner at 6pm. I believe it's okay and healthy to feel a few hunger pangs now and then. But if you feel STARVING -- then have some fat to satisfy you. Cheerio, /Louisa
      ----------------------------------------
      F, 48, 5'10"
      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

      Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
        Stop for a second, and let's 'reframe the way you are thinking". The pizza did not 'spin you out of control'. In fact, you demonstrated the opposite ability --- you stayed completely within control, despite the negative and extraneous foods that were also available to you during the same time frame. You made a conscious decision, based on your knowledge, and emotional stability, to choose the alternative, healthy food versus choosing the available, unhealthy choice. You chose the healthy choice. You made a conscious decision and based on that decision, your self confidence and sense of self, also grew. Congratulations for not succumbing to the unhealthy choice, but rather, reaching for the healthy choice. And unless you ate an entire car load of pot roast, I don't think you could have overate.

        By the way, who made that dinner? It looks aaaaammmmmaaaazing! I haven't made pot roast in about 2 years, but you've got me planning a dinner in the near future. Hope you are having a great day, qqemokitty. /louisa
        thanks as always Louisa! I made the dinner, i love cooking. it is a slow cooker pot roast, super simple + veggies roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
        yay!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
          qqemokitty: Don't worry about not eating enough -- unless you are feeling really really unsatisfied. You AND I have enough fat stores to keep our bodies going for quite some time. Ever read those stories about people who get lost in the wilderness and who survive being lost for 60+ days on water only? I eat dinner around 5-6pm and I never snack after dinner. I kinda feel sorta hungry around 8:00-8:30pm, but I'm in bed by then. I'm up so early in the morning that I'm so tired at night. But I ignore those little hunger pangs --- they are nothing major and are more of an inconvenience. Once I fall asleep, I done until 6 am. At that time, I have a nice hot, coffee with 1/4 cup of coconut milk. That keeps me going until about 12 Noon when I have my lunch...and then back to dinner at 6pm. I believe it's okay and healthy to feel a few hunger pangs now and then. But if you feel STARVING -- then have some fat to satisfy you. Cheerio, /Louisa
          I agree! that is why i don't eat between. my food pattern is similar.

          around 9:30-10:00 AM I spend eating breakfast at my desk at work. between 7:30and 8:00 PM I am eating dinner. Typically I don't eat at any other point, I don't find I am hungry on my lunch break anymore.

          Sometimes I do miss coffee. I was considering in investing in crio bru and a french press. the coffee at work is crap without sugar and creamer!
          yay!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
            I agree! that is why i don't eat between. my food pattern is similar.

            around 9:30-10:00 AM I spend eating breakfast at my desk at work. between 7:30and 8:00 PM I am eating dinner. Typically I don't eat at any other point, I don't find I am hungry on my lunch break anymore.

            Sometimes I do miss coffee. I was considering in investing in crio bru and a french press. the coffee at work is crap without sugar and creamer!
            Nice idea for a coffee maker! You know how to make good coffee, that's for sure. Throw some coconut milk in there for some additional fat --- that's the only way I can get enough fat daily. Have a great night!
            ----------------------------------------
            F, 48, 5'10"
            Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
            Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

            Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

            Comment


            • I went to a good drop-in rowing class at the gym. the instructor was my the crossfit trainer who taught my introductory class last fall. We did a warmup and then a 12 min WOD with rowing, pushups, air squats and sit ups then cool down. I really liked it. crossfit intensity but without the weights. I like doing my LHT at home so i think it will work out good.

              Originally posted by Spooky_Rach View Post
              PrimalLizard - Sprints went really well for a first attempt I reckon, I didn't manage to hurt myself and there was nobody about to see me grinning like a loon and running like a mad thing .

              Day 11 for me (which was coincidentally September 11th) went good, I decided to go with IF-ing until lunch which was BAS with smoked mackerel and dinner was coconut ginger pork leftovers over curly kale. I managed to get the gym last night to do some LHT and I got new PBs for my back squats, overhead press and deadlifts. So now I'm on 62.5kg for squats, 22.5kg for overhead press and 62.5kg for deadlifts .
              Something I've been noticing over the past couple of days is how I don't miss my dark chocolate, paleo-ified desserts or dairy, so much so that I reckon I'll probably stick with Whole30 once September is over with occasional exceptions for bulletproof coffee + dark chocolate. I'm slowly making progress with nut eating obsession too. I'm wondering why I was never brave enough to try Whole30 before when I'm seeing progress like this.
              good job on the sprinting and your LHT. I have to mentally calculate how much that is in lbs. I just started back lifting recently. Have to start progressing again.

              Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              I'm doing fine, food wise, but still feel like shit. This is day 7. It's actually day 9 or 10 of no sugar, day 7 of no dairy. And its not like I ate like crap before so have a massive detox. I have no cravings or anything, I just feel completely exhausted and am sleeping poorly.

              If it doesn't improve by next week, I will go back to primal because I literally can't work. I'm that foggy.
              I hope you can figure out what's going on and feel more energetic soon. Maybe a few more days??
              Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Dropped fermented dairy on Monday, and started counting calories. Did a couple of really low cal days with IF. Still gaining weight. I should not have touched fruit. My fat adaptation is fine, but I must have overloaded on fats a big time to cause that much weight gain.
              hope the scale starts to budge again!
              Originally posted by JayGee View Post
              Day 12! I inadvertently went 8 hours between breakfast and lunch yesterday (if you can call it lunch at 4:00pm) and never felt that awful, gnawing gut-hunger I am so used to after 3 hours usually. Could this be me, becoming fat adapted?? This morning I am fasting again, not by choice, but because I am out of eggs and the egg farm is too far to drive by until after the kids are at school. That is going to be one tasty brunch when I finally get it!
              that's great! I'm feeling the same effects too. I did a pretty intense workout at noon and didn't need lunch until about 2:30.
              Originally posted by golangrok View Post
              What do you guys miss the most?
              This is the first time that I'm totally off dairy - I would kill for some yogurt right now. Just the wonderful, tangy deliciousness
              I kind of miss cheese. I made a great tomato/meat sauce last week and some grated parm would have been a nice touch. I don't miss as many things as I thought I would, though.

              Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
              Day 15! I am officially halfway through my whole30. =)
              I felt SO sick from overeating and so ashamed of myself for letting the pizza spin me like that. =(
              good job getting to day 15 and do not beat yourself up!!!! You didn't eat the pizza. that's a major victory! My husband bought a loaf of dutch crust french bread and a package of chocolate croissants today. Those are on my counter right now! Must be strong! Believe me, in my previous life, I could have eaten the entire loaf and all the croissants in a very short period of time.

              Originally posted by Ellen View Post
              Day 17 for me. Wow, past the halfway mark! My husband and I are talking about just continuing after 30 days, though...Hmm, we'll see. I haven't been sleeping enough which really affects my hunger levels. I need to focus on falling asleep earlier so my mornings aren't so lame. I'm off caffeine -- even green/black tea -- for the Whole30 just as an experiment, and with sleep wackiness my mornings have been draaaaagging. I think my optimal sleep hours are 2AM-10AM, or so. Unfortunately that does not coincide with my job's work hours :P Sleep, sun, and more consistency with exercise (I'm okay, just not great) are what I want to focus on these next few weeks.
              Hope you can get some good sleep. I stayed up too late last night but with my workout today, I'm already feeling sleepy so should be an earlier night tonight.

              Comment


              • Ellen - tips on nuts, well I think I've learnt to either not buy them or buy them in small bags (like 50g sized bags) to reduce/stop the likelyhood of me binging on them. Though I have noticed that as I'm getting further into Whole30 that I'm less interested in them and more into them as an occasional thing.

                Clearly Whole30 has not improved my math(s) abiltity , what I called day 11 was actually day 10 (September 11th) but makes no difference to how the day went . My real day 11 was yesterday (September 12th) was an alright day, had breakfast of smoked salmon and fried eggs (I'm always more hungry the day after LHT so breakfast seems to be a good idea on these days), lunch was another BAS with homemade beef burgers this time and dinner was cod fillet + asparagus + broccoli followed by 1/2 can coconut milk + berries. Got an hour of walking in after work and a supermarket trip. Ended up being on the hungry side before bed so I had some nuts and managed to stick to a 1 closed handful .

                Comment


                • LOL, seriously, now I have heartburn and bloated since Sunday by 4 lbs. I am 100% Whole 30, sticking to it, no "slip ups" and no foods that "maybe have something in them". Meats, veggies inc. sweet potatoes, fruit (2 small pieces a day only), 2 brazil nuts, cocnut oil, ghee, olive oil, eggs. Coconut milk (100%), no fillers. And spices, no msg, all marked gluten free, none with sugar.

                  Ridiculous and no energy. On the good side, no cravings, this food makes me feel like ass, but causes no cravings.

                  Dinner last night was a grass fed steak, grilled. Cauliflower tossed with spices and ghee, kale cooked in spices and coconut milk. I dunno. I doubt dairy and sugar were doing me any favors, but pretty surprised to have heartburn and be so sluggish.

                  http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                  Comment


                  • The heartburn is definitely strange. Are you eating things you didn't normally eat before? By that I mean, I guess, have you added things or only subtracted things?

                    Day 16 for me and I am feeling good. =) Nothing too special to report!
                    yay!

                    Comment


                    • The only new things are ghee (but I used to eat butter) and coconut oil (never had it til now). I'm not using a lot of coconut oil- maybe have used a tablespoon thus far?
                      Oh well, I'll figure it out.

                      http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                      Comment


                      • Whole30 buddies, where are you?!

                        Day 17 for me! =) I feel great. I am going out to eat tonight at a brazillian churrascaria (what I fondly refer to as a meat palace) and I am pretty excited about it.
                        yay!

                        Comment


                        • The only new things are ghee (but I used to eat butter) and coconut oil (never had it til now). I'm not using a lot of coconut oil- maybe have used a tablespoon thus far?
                          Oh well, I'll figure it out.
                          Ghee if it is not fresh can give you a bad indigestion. That's why I always hated my grandma's stores of bloody thing. She always melted butter when she could buy it, and stored it under water, eww. Sorry, I know everyone raves about ghee, but I have a gaging reflex the moment I hear about it.

                          Also, quite a few people have a burning reaction to coconut products. Could be it. I would eliminate one or another....
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                          Comment


                          • Day 19 and I am sooooo ready for dessert. I've definitely still got that bug in my head that says after dinner there should be a "treat." I've been working to distract myself. Since I'm off fruit and nuts for the Whole30 there isn't anything to snack on that fills that mental desire. I think that's a good thing for me. I think I would be using fruit and nuts as a crutch and totally overdoing them if I was allowing them right now. It sort of feels like weaning off a drug. Okay, not that I know what that is like, but based on what I've heard. I am looking forward to some coconut butter as an evening snack if I am feeling hunger. Since I'm working on being in ketosis I want to avoid a protein or carb snack. I am committed to keeping the coconut butter snacks to a minimum, though. I know how easily I could eat half a cup of that stuff :P

                            Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
                            YUM! That dinner looks delicious I love how simple it is, but I can almost smell the pot roast -- it looks quite juicy, too. Crock pots are awesome!

                            Originally posted by Spooky_Rach View Post
                            Ellen - tips on nuts, well I think I've learnt to either not buy them or buy them in small bags (like 50g sized bags) to reduce/stop the likelyhood of me binging on them. Though I have noticed that as I'm getting further into Whole30 that I'm less interested in them and more into them as an occasional thing.

                            ...followed by 1/2 can coconut milk + berries.
                            Thanks for the tip on the nuts! That's sort of what I was thinking. I've got a batch of creamed coconut (aka coconut butter) headed my way in the next few days. After my nut-free Whole30 I was thinking of making some Macadamia/Coconut Bark by half-melting coconut butter and swirling it in coconut oil with chopped macadamias and toasted coconut flakes. Nothing sweet to start sugar cravings, but a big old fat blast. I think that might be a way to portion out the macadamias. I will have to see how it goes

                            For your 1/2 can of coconut milk plus berries dessert, do you whip the coconut milk or is it room-temp straight up liquid? I still haven't figured out how to get a thick cream (like whipped cream) without using the stuff with guar gum that separates on its own (Thai Kitchen brand). I've put cans in the fridge to try to get them to separate with no success.

                            Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            Ridiculous and no energy. On the good side, no cravings, this food makes me feel like ass, but causes no cravings. Dinner last night was a grass fed steak, grilled. Cauliflower tossed with spices and ghee, kale cooked in spices and coconut milk. I dunno. I doubt dairy and sugar were doing me any favors, but pretty surprised to have heartburn and be so sluggish.
                            In regards to the heartburn and sluggishness, I don't have any ideas that haven't already been mentioned. I find that when I eat too much coconut milk it give me gas/bloating. Even the stuff without guar gum. And "too much" could be just one bowl of curry for me. These n=1 experiments can be quite "interesting" (aka frustrating!). I often wish the answers were the same for everyone so we wouldn't have so much trial and error. Your dinner sounds delicious, by the way

                            Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post
                            Day 17 for me! =) I feel great. I am going out to eat tonight at a brazillian churrascaria (what I fondly refer to as a meat palace) and I am pretty excited about it.
                            Oh, YUM!!! I will have to find this type of place where I live, because that sounds awesome Meat palace, indeed!

                            Comment


                            • hello, I have about 1 week left of my whole 30. Next saturday the 22nd will be my last day. I plan to follow re-introduction with dairy first for a few days and see how if affects me. I don't think I will start with ice cream, though! Let's not push it right away! Probably yogurt and cheese. For my main plan of lifestyle, I will plan to avoid grains and added sugar with occasional really worth it exceptions. I will need to think about what treats are on the really worth it list. I am really used to eating this way now. I don't have cravings. It's amazing. I used to binge eat fairly frequently so this is a very freeing feeling. Anyway I'm so proud of how far I've come. I thought this was going to be torture based on my last forays into paleo and really I just need to pull the bandaid off quick and get through the first few tough days.

                              I made red curry last night with chicken, zucchini, bell peppers, and sweet potato. It turned out really good. that was my first time making it. I will definitely be doing that again.

                              qqemokitty, that Brazilian restaurant sounds great! enjoy! I have not been to a restaurant this whole time. Can't think of any restaurants to trust around here. LOL. Looking forward to it when I'm done. My kids keep saying "when can we go to a restaurant?"

                              Ellen, hope you can get rid of that sweets cravings. I have been eating some fruit but not a lot and not as dessert--just part of the meal. I haven't had any nuts in a week or two and stopped the almond butter for now since it is easy to overeat.

                              keep it up everyone!

                              Comment


                              • Well its the evening of day 13 for me and I feel great.
                                I no longer crave sugar or wine or bread (even though I have not had bread for ages it is my weakness). I am amazed at how this has all panned out for me I never thought I could complete the whole 30 but now I am wondering how I can go back to eating like before.
                                I have had shingles for the last two weeks and have felt pretty awful at times (and I was not sure why as in was it the low carb flu or shingles).
                                My whole family commented how nice our meals have been which is probably because I have been inventive to keep the family on track. My fav dinner so far was rump steak, broccolini with sweet potato,carrot and red onion tossed in cumin and baked yummo. I have been in ketosis for days on end and I am wearing a work shirt that did not fit two weeks ago so am pretty happy.
                                Hope everyone else is tracking well
                                Last edited by jacmac; 09-17-2012, 12:42 AM.
                                link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X