No announcement yet.

Lard Making a Comeback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep my bacon drippings to use for cooking, but haven't yet made lard although I've been thinking about it. How smelly is the lard as it's rendering? I don't have the best ventilation in my kitchen, and I've heard it's very smelly when it's rendering, and I'm worried the whole house will smell bad. Maybe I'll try making some on a cool day when all the windows can be open. How long does lard keep? Does it need to be refrigerated or frozen?

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
      Oh wow thanks! I would never have guessed you add water.
      I make lard in a slow cooker and I don't ever add water. No need to - it renders just fine without. I put the fat through a mincer (grinder) so that it drops straight into the slow cooker, switch on and leave until it is rendered down. The remaining crisp bits of fat can either be salted and eaten. or put out for birds which seem to love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Hey, cantare, have you read Peter's article called Praise the Lard over at the Hyperlipid site? It's about the Optimal Diet that has been popular in Eastern Europe for years. Interesting stuff.
        I have now...enjoyed the article!
        In fact, it's a good blog overall, with a lot of good articles...

which I can read...

along with all the other blogs I already spend most of my time readi--

6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
        ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post
          I have now...enjoyed the article!
          In fact, it's a good blog overall, with a lot of good articles...
          which I can read...
          along with all the other blogs I already spend most of my time readi--
          In case you have some free time (hehe) you also would enjoy Dr. Peter Attia's Eating Academy blog. That was where i figured out how to make ketosis work by dialing back the protein.

Comment

Working...
          X