Alcohol and primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol and primal

Im going on holiday on Saturday, and I know there will be some occasions when I would like to drink alcohol. So what is the least offensive to a primal lifestyle? I know red wine is ok, but what about something like vodka, soda and fresh lime? Or even the flavoured vodkas? My favourite is brandy and diet coke ( I know...it's terrible, that's why I am trying to be prepared!!) Has anybody got any good research on this subject?

Im partial to cider myself..
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

The NorCal margarita is a winner p a l e o b l o c k s: Paleo Recipe: Robb Wolf's Nor Cal Margaritas. Any liquor over ice should work. Wine. Hell, I even drink good mico brews. All that fermentation gotta be good for something :P

Comment

Cider. Just look at the ingredients. Some are full of HFCS.

Tequila. Its made from agave, not grains.
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

This might help you decide.

Definitive Guide to Alcohol on a Low Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
            Cider. Just look at the ingredients. Some are full of HFCS.

Tequila. Its made from agave, not grains.
            Your getting the wrong kinda cider then

Shouldent be any added sugar.

Oh and meads nice if you can get the good kind (homemade versions seem to be beter than most of the store bought ones)
            Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              This.

I primarily will choose to drink wine or cider, sometimes mead if it's available (my friend makes an awesome mead at home), or vodka (real stuff that I know isn't contaminated with grains) with seltzer water. I'm not a huge fan of tequila, but if I want to get absolutely inebriated I will go with that... and regret it the next day.

But, yeah, the link above is the best concise list I've found yet.
              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I'm a fan of single malt Scotch, gin martini's and sometimes bourbon (which is much less expensive than SMS). I've done some research on the subject but sometimes it's hard to remember. More research is in order for sure.
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I personally like Whiskey. I heard darker alcohol is better than white (Vodka etc)...not sure where I read it....might be the definitive guide.....

Comment

This is one area where I disagree with Mark. In his definitive guide, he puts clear spirits in the "Bottom Shelf to Bottom of the Barrel" category, yet he states:

As mentioned, unflavored spirits don’t come with carbs, and the alcohol content itself can boost vascular health. Nonetheless, these varieties don’t offer much in the way of antioxidant benefit either.
                    While it's true that dry red wines are fairly low carb, I don't buy into its (underwhelming) health benefits. I mean really, does anyone go out drinking to reap health benefits? It's like those silly states that have banned smoking in bars - dude it's not a health club. Clear spirits as shots or with clear club soda/bubble water are zero carb.

Mark may be one of the smartest "health gurus" I've read in 20 years, but on this one point, I disagree. YMMV.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

The reason smoking was banned in those "silly" states was that it is a workplace safety issue. The people who work there shouldn't have to get lung cancer from second hand smoke just to make a living.

But I agree with you that drinking any booze and trying to kid yourself that you are doing it for the health benefits doesn't make much sense.

Comment

PB, I didn't meant to offend. I know why the laws were passed, and I guess there's some merit to them, but still and all I don't agree. Bars are not healthful places and they were never meant to be. To become a bartender and then piss and moan about cigarettes to me always seemed whiney. Become something else. Or work in a bar where the owner has decided that business is better if smoking is not allowed. I have some real issues with some laws that restrain commerce, and this is one.

Again, didn't meant to offend, and sorry about the word "silly."
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

As someone who helped pay for college by running cocktails in the bad old days before smoking was banned, I can tell you that there are not a whole lot of people who work in bars doing so because they had a whole lot of other employment opportunities. It's not really something most people choose.

And there are workplace safety rules for factory workers, ear plugs, hard hats, etc. Why not for bar employees?

And it doesn't restrain trade at all. In fact, I think it encourages more people to come out knowing that they are not going to have to stink of smoke just to have a drink with their friends or listen to some music. And the die-hard (pun intended) smokers can always take it outside.

Sorry to the OP for the thread derailment.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            This is one area where I disagree with Mark. In his definitive guide, he puts clear spirits in the "Bottom Shelf to Bottom of the Barrel" category, yet he states:

While it's true that dry red wines are fairly low carb, I don't buy into its (underwhelming) health benefits. I mean really, does anyone go out drinking to reap health benefits? It's like those silly states that have banned smoking in bars - dude it's not a health club. Clear spirits as shots or with clear club soda/bubble water are zero carb.

Mark may be one of the smartest "health gurus" I've read in 20 years, but on this one point, I disagree. YMMV.
                            My thoughts, exactly; and red wine on a hot day - ick.

Comment

Drink whatever you want. As long as you're not drinking absurd amounts or too often I think the difference is probably negligible. While it's obvious to avoid the sugar and HFCS in mixers, I think it's pointless to search for the "most primal" alcohol if you aren't going to enjoy what you're drinking. Unless it's from a completely utilitarian "I just want to be drunk" standpoint. Just accept that a little booze now and then (of any type) won't kill you and don't feel bad about it.

If your drinking as opposed to just a few drinks, I'd recommend you check this out. It's solid science and although it's geared towards bodybuilders, which I am not, it does work.

Comment

Working...
                              X