Alcohol and primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    My thoughts, exactly; and red wine on a hot day - ick.
    I have gotten to like red wine with seltzer, sometimes lemon-flavored. Almost as nice as a beer on a hot day, and it doesn't give me that carby knock out. I've also noticed I gain (water) weight with beer, not with wine.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

I'll drink red wine a fair amount (maybe a bottle every two weeks) but for "recreational" drinking I still go to my favorite, grain laden, carb heavy, anti-primal-blueprint, nice dark microbrew type beers. Although I'm also a fan of single malt scotches too which seem fairly high on Mark's list. I don't sweat the beer
      -Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
        Your getting the wrong kinda cider then

Shouldent be any added sugar.
        Sure, and canned tuna shouldn't have any added soy. But they find a way to put it in there. :P
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          This is one area where I disagree with Mark. In his definitive guide, he puts clear spirits in the "Bottom Shelf to Bottom of the Barrel" category, yet he states:

While it's true that dry red wines are fairly low carb, I don't buy into its (underwhelming) health benefits.
          I mean really, does anyone go out drinking to reap health benefits? It's like those silly states that have banned smoking in bars - dude it's not a health club. Clear spirits as shots or with clear club soda/bubble water are zero carb.

Mark may be one of the smartest "health gurus" I've read in 20 years, but on this one point, I disagree. YMMV.
          I am curious as to why you don't buy into it. Are you saying the benefits are negligible so as to warrant going without or are you saying there are no benefits at all? What do you mean by underwhelming? I actually agree/believe that mild consumption of alcohol can offer direct but mostly indirect benefits. I believe my ancestors drank fermented alcoholic beverages from fruits and plants even. Palm wine has been drank in West Africa from the age of time, according to my west african folklore. So I am not sure how we can categorically classify all alcohol as not being primal or having no or negligible benefits...but of course, I always stand corrected. At any rate it is definitely a YMMV sitch and I am obvsly biased in favour of consumption. I use to drink a few ounces of whiskey mad men style every day AND wine on weekends. The only thing that made me stop was because I can not burn fat while continuing do the aforementioned..Le Sigh

Comment

I love wine and beer. I drink tons of beer, from Budweiser to IPA's. I'm not a beer snob.

Comment

Originally posted by michellethompson View Post
              but what about something like vodka, soda and fresh lime? Or even the flavoured vodkas?
              Blueberry vodka, soda and lime!
              Try it
              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
              "Moderation sucks." Suse
              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

If I where you and was on vacation, I would have a brandy and diet coke.
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                  Ew. IMO, that is a great way to ruin a good brandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
                    So I am not sure how we can categorically classify all alcohol as not being primal or having no or negligible benefits...
                    We can (and no doubt will ) argue all day long about the health benefits, but alcohol itself is certainly primal, all you have to do is leave some fruit out in the sun and boom the little yeasties find it and away you go.

Without a doubt, Grok was more exposed to alcohol than to other non-primal MDA faves like coffee and butter. Hell, the Caribbean has all kinds of alcoholic binge drinking monkeys getting their buzz on from fermenting sugar cane, we're hardly the only primates to have sussed it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
                      I love wine and beer. I drink tons of beer, from Budweiser to IPA's. I'm not a beer snob.
                      you're also not primal and/or paleo so your input isn't really helpful or valid to the topic. Not attacking your choices, to each his own, but it's a bit pointless to contribute when you're not following the basic premise of the site/community.
                      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

If I were you and were going on a nice vacation, I'd just have your drink of choice and forget about the whole Primal/not Primal argument. Just go and enjoy yourself. Get back on the program to your high standards when you return home. I'm going to Sri Lanka in October for a week and can guarantee you i'll be having some alcohol, no matter what it is. :-) Enjoy.

Comment

I guess I asked for the comment about ruining a good brandy with coke!
                          Thanks for your input, I realise I can just go ahead and have what I want, but I don't want to undo all
                          My good works! The blueberry vodka sounds nice!

Comment

Originally posted by michellethompson View Post
                            Has anybody got any good research on this subject?
                            Nope and I'm not going to. When I went on holiday I just had what I wanted and was prepared to accept that I was naughty.

The way I see it, life is for living, not just existing. I am now back to normal and because I wasn't too naughty, am not suffering at all.
                            Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post
                              We can (and no doubt will ) argue all day long about the health benefits, but alcohol itself is certainly primal, all you have to do is leave some fruit out in the sun and boom the little yeasties find it and away you go.

Without a doubt, Grok was more exposed to alcohol than to other non-primal MDA faves like coffee and butter. Hell, the Caribbean has all kinds of alcoholic binge drinking monkeys getting their buzz on from fermenting sugar cane, we're hardly the only primates to have sussed it out.
                              I would like to see some drunkey Monkeys and I agree with u. Sure from a weight loss standpoint it is advisable but it sure is primal!

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                                Diet Coke?? Better off with the "real thing".

Comment

Working...
                                X