Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding my cholesterol?

Hi all,

I just got a whole bunch of blood work done and my doctor was concerned about my cholesterol. I'm 23 and in decent shape. I was wondering what the primal community thought of these numbers:

TOTAL- 261
    HDL- 89
    TRI- 127
    LDL- 147

The doctor told me to stay away from animal fats which is a huge, huge portion of my diet.. Am I healthy? Help! If I could get a more specific answer I would really appreciate it.
    Last edited by miniGrokette; 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM.

Google is awesome...

How To Calculate Cholesterol Ratio | LIVESTRONG.COM (about cholesterol ratios)
    Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator (will calculate the ratios for you)
    Understanding Cholesterol Numbers: LDL, HDL, Total Cholesterol, and Triglyceride Levels (general info)

As taken from the second link...

Your Total Cholesterol of 261 is HIGH RISK

Your LDL of 147 is BORDERLINE

Your HDL of 89 is OPTIMAL

Your Triglyceride level of 125 is NORMAL

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.93 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL

Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.605 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL

Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.404 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I'm sorry, don't mean to sound like a total newb but I still don't understand. What am I at high risk for? What should I do or change?

Comment

I would not worry at all. LDL is a calculated number, so ignore. In females, total cholesterol is better off high.

Comment

Originally posted by miniGrokette View Post
          I'm sorry, don't mean to sound like a total newb but I still don't understand. What am I at high risk for? What should I do or change?
          Read PB, Wheat Belly, and other books about the Standard American Diet... or listen to your doctor... your choice!
          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I freaked when I saw mine too -- turns out, my numbers are excellent for what I believe is good health.
            The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Your trig's are a bit elevated so the particle size of your LDL comes into question. If your LDL is light fluffy you have no worries really, small dense LDL are known for being bad. If your doc is showing concern and you have insurance ocverage, I would see about geting a VAP test to see how your LDL profile looks.

Comment

Originally posted by miniGrokette View Post
                Hi all,

I just got a whole bunch of blood work done and my doctor was concerned about my cholesterol. I'm 23 and in decent shape. I was wondering what the primal community thought of these numbers:

TOTAL- 261
                HDL- 89
                TRI- 127
                LDL- 147

The doctor told me to stay away from animal fats which is a huge, huge portion of my diet.. Am I healthy? Help! If I could get a more specific answer I would really appreciate it.
                First of all, please read the primer in my Sig, particularly the first two posts. I'll wait.

Ok?

So what is really important are your ratios. Here's yours:
                Chol/HDL ratio (Target < 5) = 2.93
                Trig/HDL ratio (Target < 2) = 1.42
                LDL/HDL ratio (Target < 4.3) = 1.65

So as you can see all of your ratios are well into the healthy ranges. Keep doing what you're doing.

If I was to make any change to your diet it would be to lower carbs (which paradoxically lowers your Trigs).
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
                  Your trig's are a bit elevated so the particle size of your LDL comes into question. If your LDL is light fluffy you have no worries really, small dense LDL are known for being bad. If your doc is showing concern and you have insurance ocverage, I would see about geting a VAP test to see how your LDL profile looks.
                  Actually, the large fluffy LDL is not an indication of anything. The total particle count of LDL (LDL-P) is what matters. This is by far the best guide to cholesterol I have read...

The straight dope on cholesterol

This is the last post of a very long article but under the "What we've learned" items 22-30 are very important/interesting.

The generic lipid profile tells you nothing. Get an NMR....
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                    Actually, the large fluffy LDL is not an indication of anything. The total particle count of LDL (LDL-P) is what matters. This is by far the best guide to cholesterol I have read...

The straight dope on cholesterol

This is the last post of a very long article but under the "What we've learned" items 22-30 are very important/interesting.

The generic lipid profile tells you nothing. Get an NMR....
                    That article/series by Peter Attia is excellent. But Karma is still right.

If you have lots of large fluffy LDL then your LDL-P will be low (relative to your LDL-C). If you have the 'bad' small oxidised LDL then your LDL-P will be correspondingly larger.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                      That article/series by Peter Attia is excellent. But Karma is still right.

If you have lots of large fluffy LDL then your LDL-P will be low (relative to your LDL-C). If you have the 'bad' small oxidised LDL then your LDL-P will be correspondingly larger.
                      Here is Peter's response to whether LDL size and LDL-P are related:

"Size is irrelevant once you know number. Small size often (but certainly not often enough to justify it) predicts large numbers (bad), but the focus on particle size is misguided."
                      Last edited by Fernaldo; 08-21-2012, 06:56 PM.
                      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X