Low Carb and Sleeping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Denise I agree with you. <50g might not be good for me either. I was actually thinking I will do a carb cycle with 40g three days and go up to 80-100g for a day and so on. I was thinking that I would be able to thrive on such a plan and experience quicker fat loss while improving my weight lifts. Now I can barely think too deeply and I am forgetting all the big words i need to use to sound smart lol. I kid. But seriously I feel foggy now. Ugh I am just hoping the "side effects" diminish over time.

smh
    If its any help - mine disappear now after a single day back above 70g! (Mind you, I am never really below 50 for more than a few days and that would be "accidental". But if theres a fog, it lifts after pretty much 2 meals above 50g (and still below 100)

Comment

In the first week or two of primal, I would wake mid-night and have trouble getting back to sleep. That has gone away now, and I'm only about a month in.

Comment

okay, good to know MistyP

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          I had trouble sleeping prior to low carb so I might not fit your criteria for answering.

What helped was going low carb, eating IF (large meal in the late evening), and plenty of sodium (on food per being low carb), and Epsom salt bath right before bed. I still toss and turn a bit, but I'm just a really lite sleeper.
          My low carbing coincided with IF. I had trouble sleeping and also had cold hands/feet.

My response was to increase the amount of food I eat in my 'window' (I now feel stuffed when I go to be in the evening), particularly bananas, on the grounds that it might be either a potassium or a carb deficiency. Whatever the cause, the bananas fixed the cold hands and the sleep (I now feel hot at night, so I think that the sleep was a continuation of the cold thing).
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

So I have been gradually reducing the amt of carbs I consume. from roughly 120g to 60g. Yesterday I ate ~30g. I want to try carb cycling and weight lifting together to see what gains i can achieve at the gym. Anywho I need to know how my peeps who go real low carb manage with their sleep because I could not sleep until 4am and had to wake up at 6. My sleep is bad enough as it is and 1am is "early" for me but 4 is kinda crazy. So please share if you did encounter sleeping problems with going really low carb, and if these problem eventually disappeared and/or how you managed to deal.
            Thanks!
            It's takes a good solid two weeks straight in deep ketosis before things get humming along really well. But once they do, oooh, it's like a muscle car given a tankful of the high octane "good stuff". The engine just purrs. And sleep comes so easily. Plus waking up in the morning is a natural thing not a "Do I haaaave to get up?" thing.
            My advice would be give it some.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              It's takes a good solid two weeks straight in deep ketosis before things get humming along really well. But once they do, oooh, it's like a muscle car given a tankful of the high octane "good stuff". The engine just purrs. And sleep comes so easily. Plus waking up in the morning is a natural thing not a "Do I haaaave to get up?" thing.
              My advice would be give it some.
              Thanks Paleobird, this is what I needed to hear from someone who has been through it. If you don't mind me asking, how many grams of carbs did you consume to get into ketosis....the max I go to is 50g and yesterday I believe I was 25g.

Comment

The formula that I use to target macros is based loosely on Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet.

First figure you *ideal* weight in kilos. The weight where you could really strut a bikini. I call it the HSIS weight (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) For me 145lbs=65kg.

HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% is the range for protein grams so for me that is about 58-72/day
                HSIS weight divided by 2 is your target carbs, for me about 32
                HSIS weight times 2 to 3 is the range for fat grams so the low end for me is 130 gams/day and that is tough to make.

Comment

thanks P! I will read up on this optimal diet

Comment

The formula that I use to target macros is based loosely on Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet.

First figure you *ideal* weight in kilos. The weight where you could really strut a bikini. I call it the HSIS weight (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) For me 145lbs=65kg.

HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% is the range for protein grams so for me that is about 58-72/day
                    HSIS weight times 2 to 3 is the range for fat grams so the low end for me is 130 gams/day and that is tough to make.
                    That's about 1280 in calories when I figured mine. When I am in ketosis, I am full on 900 - 1100 and I can get my carbs low enough, but fat never that high and my protein is always higher. When I have fewer carbs, I reach for protein to make up the difference - things like turkey or chicken, and more eggs. I am almost always under Mark's low-end guideline though, with the exception of a couple days this week when I topped out. I added more activity this week also.
                    Last edited by gopintos; 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                      That's about 1280 in calories when I figured mine. When I am in ketosis, I am full on 900 - 1100 and I can get my carbs low enough, but fat never that high and my protein is always higher. When I have fewer carbs, I reach for protein to make up the difference - things like turkey or chicken, and more eggs. I am almost always under Mark's low-end guideline though, with the exception of a couple days this week when I topped out. I added more activity this week also.
                      If you dial back the protein a bit, you will have more room for the fat. Also too much protein will knock you out of ketosis. And your protein sources there poultry and eggs are all rather lean.

Comment

thanks P! I will read up on this optimal diet
                        I wouldn't recommend buying his book. The guy was a bit of a nut in some ways like saying that this diet would make you a morally superior human being etc. Also the carbs he recommends for your tiny allotment are mostly grains that are prevalent in his native Polish diet.

So what I am doing is kind of the Primal version of the OD. Carbs from primal approved sources. That's why I say only loosely based on his work.

However nutty he may have been, this diet has been in practice in Eastern Europe for several decades with very good results.

Comment

Yal I always just thought I was in ketosis, based on my low carbs. This is the first I have heard of protein affecting ketosis. So I don't really know if I ever really was or not.
                          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

This is fascinating - I don't know much about ketosis at all, so this has been eye-opening. Definitely something to explore, once I get the hang of this whole primal thing down.

Comment

Never heard of protein knocking you out of ketosis. It seems that every time I get there, the sleep deprivation drives me to the fruit bowl and I get knocked out of it, after only a couple of days. Following these recommendations, I'd only get 45-55g of protein a day, which would make me a very Sad Sophie.
                              “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
                                Never heard of protein knocking you out of ketosis. It seems that every time I get there, the sleep deprivation drives me to the fruit bowl and I get knocked out of it, after only a couple of days. Following these recommendations, I'd only get 45-55g of protein a day, which would make me a very Sad Sophie.
                                A piece of Free the Animal Fat Bread slathered in mascarpone cheese makes me very happy. And totally kills any desire to snack

Comment

Working...
                                X