Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will adding a bit of juice to water affect a fast?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will adding a bit of juice to water affect a fast?

Maybe about a tablespoon or 2 of lemon, orange, or grapefruit juice. Unsweetened but that should go without saying.

Yes, I would say it would affect a fast... will probably have a slight affect on blood sugar. ?

Comment

I would go with the lemon juice, wouldn't think a tbls. would affect a fast and it makes the water more hydrating, especially if you also add a pinch of sea salt.
      $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

I remember when Dr. Eades of "Protein Power" fame had a series of blog posts about IF in 2006. He sort of started this. Sorry that I have no link or precise source (it is late in the evening here, and I don't feel much like scouring the internet right now), but somebody asked a similar question in the comments. It was not about juice but about meds and supplements this person didn't want to miss out on.

Anyway Dr. Eades answered that 100 calories of anything couldn't really harm a fast. Now, I'm not so sure if fruit juice (= sugar) is the right thing to add, but considering that maybe the stuff that this person was worried about was essentially pure starches (like fillers in the meds), I would say just try it out. If the juice really affects your blood sugars, you will most likely notice that you get ravenously hungry. If that happens, back to pure water next time.

@ tradawg: Why would a pinch of sea salt mitigate any effects of the juice? And why would lemon juice make water more hydrating? This I don't understand. Of course I agree that getting minerals into your body is always important, and especially during a fast.

Comment

When I first read this thread yesterday, I didnt understand why you would want to. But then last night, I read somewhere else about jump starting your plumbing in the mornings with lemon juice and ginger in warm water. Made me re-visit this thread to see the replies.
          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Bess58 View Post

@ tradawg: Why would a pinch of sea salt mitigate any effects of the juice? And why would lemon juice make water more hydrating? This I don't understand. Of course I agree that getting minerals into your body is always important, and especially during a fast.
            I never said it would "mitigate" the effects of the juice? Lemon and sea salt in your water make it more hydrating because of the electrolytes and minerals in them. It helps your body absorb it better.

Comment

I agree about the minerals. Sorry, "mitigate" was perhaps a misinterpretation as English is not my mother tongue. Usually I get along fine, but sometimes ...

Comment

I like a lime wedge squeezed into my water, even when I'm fasting~ just has a little more pizazz, KWIM?

Here are the Eades links~

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Fast way to better health

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Protein Power verses Intermittent Fasting

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Inflammation and intermittent fasting

Comment

Originally posted by Bess58 View Post
                  I agree about the minerals. Sorry, "mitigate" was perhaps a misinterpretation as English is not my mother tongue. Usually I get along fine, but sometimes ...
                  No worries

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    I read somewhere else about jump starting your plumbing in the mornings with lemon juice and ginger in warm water.
                    I tried it this morning, around 4 am., but probably not enough of everything. Nothing kicked in until about 2pm but I have to say, it was glorious
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Working...
                    X