Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protein sparing modified fast, but Primal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Protein sparing modified fast, but Primal.

    So far I'm a month into Primal, without really any tangible physical results. (body fat, measurements, etc.)
    My IBS is much-MUCH improved. It's amazing to me that my stomach doesn't hurt all the time anymore.

    But since I have no progress, I got a hormone panel done. Thyroid is normal. Testosterone is below average (409) for a 31 year old dude, but it's in the normal range.

    Right now, I just want to blow away the pounds. Once I'm reasonable, I'll start trying to build muscle again.

    I was going to do 4 weeks of PSMF as described by Lyle McDonald.
    My hesitation is the EXTREMELY LOW amount of fat.

    My goals are: 240 protein, 20 fat, 20 carb. Not sure how I can do this. I love fat. Fat is the best. Pour bacon grease in the kool-aid, I'll quaff it viking style.

    I want to keep my current Primal macronutrient ratios. That's: 10% carbs, 50% fat, 40% protein. Do you think this will be OK with PSMF? That puts me at only 125g of protein.


    I will continue to walk, lift heavy things, and go hard once per week.

  • #2
    PSMF is not designed to go for 4 weeks. what you're describing is also extremely drastic. you can do it primally, but this is not necessary, psychologically difficult, and frankly... not necessary!

    Comment


    • #3
      I was going to do two weeks (break) two weeks. with 2 regular meals each week.

      It's pretty much this or lipo. No amount of diet or exercise has got me out of this year-long plateau. I'd really hoped that primal alone would have done it. I wanted to blame gluten so bad. (Though I'm blaming it for my digestive problems, still.)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 2tall View Post
        I was going to do two weeks (break) two weeks. with 2 regular meals each week.

        It's pretty much this or lipo. No amount of diet or exercise has got me out of this year-long plateau. I'd really hoped that primal alone would have done it. I wanted to blame gluten so bad. (Though I'm blaming it for my digestive problems, still.)
        Have you tried full ketosis?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Have you tried full ketosis?
          I think PSMF will put me there.

          My carbs have been 80-140g so far on Primal. At 6'7 245lbs, might still be too much for ketosis.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think you would do better with IF. As long as you're consuming any calories, you body won't go into protein sparing mode so this 'modified fast' is basically just another crash diet. To steal from Yoda~ Fast, or don't fast. There is no *modified*.

            Comment


            • #7
              You could just...eat less food. It's a lot easier.

              Lyle's PSMF is also only ~11 days. You could seriously die doing a 28 day if you're not carefully supplementing with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes. And probably a ton of other things I'm missing.

              Another option is alternate-day fasting. Eat normally for 3 days, then just don't eat anything for 24 hours. That's a built-in 3,000-5,000 calorie deficit a week, which will typically translate to a 1-2lb loss of weight. Well, probably more like 2-3 lbs because of all the water weight you'll drop along with body fat.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'll stick to a shorter one then. I don't want to end up screwed up, or with rabbit starvation.

                I've tried eating less food. (And more food, when It was suggested I ate too little to lose weight.) Currently I have a 4000cal/week deficit from food alone. (Higher, if you consider exercise as calories earned.)
                Last edited by 2tall; 08-20-2012, 12:15 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

                  Another option is alternate-day fasting. Eat normally for 3 days, then just don't eat anything for 24 hours. That's a built-in 3,000-5,000 calorie deficit a week, which will typically translate to a 1-2lb loss of weight. Well, probably more like 2-3 lbs because of all the water weight you'll drop along with body fat.
                  It's one of the Intermittent Fasting (IF) techniques~ and it works! After my DD was born, I dropped about 35 pounds of 'baby' weight in record time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So 3 days normal, 1 day fast, repeating?

                    M e
                    T e
                    W e
                    TH f
                    F e
                    S e
                    SU e
                    M f ...and so on?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 2tall View Post
                      So 3 days normal, 1 day fast, repeating?

                      M e
                      T e
                      W e
                      TH f
                      F e
                      S e
                      SU e
                      M f ...and so on?
                      Yup~ you can also throw in a 2e,1f here and there. Helps when something special is coming up so you don't have a fast day on a 'party' day. Very flexable, just remember to have more eat days than fast days in a week.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That sounds a hell of a lot safer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you've only been primal for 1 month, I think you need to give your body more time before doing anything drastic. If your IBS is improving, it's very possible that your body is trying to heal some things before it starts shedding weight. This isn't a race to see who can lose the most weight the quickest, and the slower it comes off the more likely you are to keep it off. So I say continue to nourish your body for another 2 months and then see how it's doing. You may very well find out that your body starts to shed weight once it is fully nourished. You may have some severe deficiencies from the IBS.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                            If you've only been primal for 1 month, I think you need to give your body more time before doing anything drastic. If your IBS is improving, it's very possible that your body is trying to heal some things before it starts shedding weight. This isn't a race to see who can lose the most weight the quickest, and the slower it comes off the more likely you are to keep it off. So I say continue to nourish your body for another 2 months and then see how it's doing. You may very well find out that your body starts to shed weight once it is fully nourished. You may have some severe deficiencies from the IBS.
                            This is incredibly wise advice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You mean.... like nutrient malabsorption?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X