Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protein sparing modified fast, but Primal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2tall View Post
    You mean.... like nutrient malabsorption?
    and very serious deficiencies.

So far I'm a month into Primal, without really any tangible physical results. (body fat, measurements, etc.)
    there was an immediate disconnect for me when i then read this:
    My IBS is much-MUCH improved. It's amazing to me that my stomach doesn't hurt all the time anymore.
    to go from being in constant pain and distress to NEVER, is no improvement? yipes.

only being a month in i think any kind of long fast is nutz. in fact, i think any kind of long fast is just nutz.

let your body heal. are you eating all sorts of good superfoods like eggs, liver and leafy greens? are you eating enough? you're a big dude.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Oh, yes there's an IBS improvement. That alone makes it all worth it really.

I just meant no... mirror or measuring tape improvement. =)

I've been getting around 2400 calories a day, pretty close on my macros. I do eat dairy, or I'd have trouble getting 2400 in.
      I eat about 4 eggs a day, and SO MANY animals. Primarily cows, salmon, some turkey, and chicken for variety.

staple plants are bananas, cucumbers, romaine, onions (So many onions)... carrots.
      Plus of course cashews, almonds... macadamia nuts.

I'm not eating any organ meats... yet.

Comment

I have done 2 cycles of the Lyle's RFL diet. I was a cat 1 dieter meaning only on for 11-12 days with a full 3 day break. I followed his formula to the letter including running the EC stack which helps a lot with hunger. The first cycle I didn't use the EC stack and I was miserable by day 7. Craved carbs/fat like a mofo. Second time around, with EC, was totally manageable.

Just follow the calculator and make sure you take all the supplements. I didn't suffer from anything other than mild/moderate (no EC) hunger. The results were fantastic. I went this route after a 8 week bulk because I can't stand long term cutting. It's horrible.

Lyle is a real dick but his methods work.
        "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Um, you can either do the EC stack thing or you can be primal. Drug cocktails are not primal and could be the worst thing in the world for someone trying to recover from digestive issues. Yikes.

Comment

Agree with others, take it slow. Wait at least six months so your body can get used to getting real food! I don't know how deprived you were, but I was so malnourished I ate large quantities of liver twice weekly for several weeks on end before my body had refilled its nutrient stores. I would save the "eating less" for at least several weeks from now, after eating lots of nutrient-dense food and rebuilding your body. You might find the weight naturally comes off once your body has what it needs. My loss has been slow and sustainable. One to two pounds a month on average, but I wasn't terribly obese to start with.

Don't mix things up too much. Let your body adapt to one thing at a time.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

personally, i'd switch out the nuts for more meat or more dairy, since you seem to tolerate it. a handful of nuts is a whole lot of calories and not as much bang for the buck nutrition-wise as animal protein.

and seriously, wait for extreme fasting and potions. once your body is humming along more happily, i doubt you'll need either.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

You said bananas are a staple - how many bananas, exactly? If weight loss is your goal, I'd cut the bananas (and also not eat apples or grapes) and stick to strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries when you want fruit.

Nuts can also make a lot of people (like me) stall, even in small quantities.

I agree with everyone who's suggesting you hold off on any extreme fasting until you've been eating clean for at least a few months. Maybe try a Whole30 if you're eager to radicalize your eating, and see what happens. Otherwise, IFing is a valuable tool but can screw up your body if you jump into it when you're still recovering from SAD eating practices.

Comment

I'd agree about skipping both the nuts and the bananas. Both of these could be keeping you out of ketosis.

And I 100% agree with all those who have suggested that you give yourself more time to eat primal and let your body heal. There is plenty of time down the road for something more radical.
                  Starting Weight: 197.5
                  Current Weight: 123
                  Far healthier!

Comment

I eat 1-2 bananas a week.
                    don't want the ECA stack.

Comment

Originally posted by 2tall View Post
                      I eat 1-2 bananas a week.
                      don't want the ECA stack.
                      Good. Your digestive system doesn't need that kind of irritation.

I really think the whole Lyle M system is meant for losing a few vanity pounds for muscle heads. A healthy strong body can handle it without too much trouble but even Lyle says that it shouldn't be done for too long at a stretch. Why? Because it's not healthy.

If you kept your calories about even but brought the protein down a bit and the fat up, you could be in ketosis, repairing your damaged innards while losing a few pounds too if you want. And you can live that way permanently.

Comment

Vote 1 for healing first.
                        When you are 6 months in, IBS clear, pumping iron & burning calories and if there is no weight loss by then, by all means take specific measures to trim those pounds.

Anyone doing this should take out at least 3 months to settle the diet in before making any serious assessments, but with a pre existing health condition, settling in is even more crucial.
                        "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by merryish View Post
                          You said bananas are a staple - how many bananas, exactly? If weight loss is your goal, I'd cut the bananas (and also not eat apples or grapes) and stick to strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries when you want fruit.
                          Why? 100 calories from a banana isn't going to make you lose weight slower than 100 calories from berries, or 100 calories from avocado or eggs.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

In addition to what has been said above, many people find that dairy causes weight stalls or gains. Especially non fermented dairy, like milk. Might be worth seeing if you can reduce or quit the dairy. But Really I think I'd give it another month or two before you try to tweak stuff too much or start into the IF thing much.

Comment

Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                              In addition to what has been said above, many people find that dairy causes weight stalls or gains. Especially non fermented dairy, like milk. Might be worth seeing if you can reduce or quit the dairy. But Really I think I'd give it another month or two before you try to tweak stuff too much or start into the IF thing much.
                              Dairy causes stalls in weight loss for one reason: it's very calorically dense. People on this website are also strongly against lower fat dairy, and buying full-fat adds up very, very quickly. You can eat an entire head of lettuce for less calories than an ounce of cheddar cheese. Dairy, nuts and chocolate are some of the most calorically dense foods on Earth outside of isolated oils, so it's no wonder they're the common "stall" foods. It's tough to stall on chicken breast and cauliflower.

Fermented dairy won't make you lose weight faster than non-fermented dairy. It may make you bloat less because it's partially digested, but that's fake water weight. Fermented dairy actually generates more insulin than non-fermented dairy. Actually, fermented dairy generates more insulin than white bread, but I digress.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I have a glass of milk 3 times a week. I do eat a good amount of cheese though.

Thanks for all the input on this. I'll give it at least two more months before I do something drastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X