No announcement yet.

What are your triggers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuts for me too. Cashews specially. And I realized I go crazy for gluten-free cake, that I bought trying to give my family a not-so-horrible treat, but ended up eating half of it the last two times I bought it. I swear I don't know what the heck that cakes has. Good thing is so pricy.

Comment

yes I think the caffeine does need to go. I had a few nuts and some grapefruit juice and was fine---although I did also power nap for 20 minutes. So far I am caffeine free today---one day and counting!

Water is usually the only other drink I consume.
      Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
      http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I joke with my room mate about being on the "Ice Cream Diet."

Once or twice a month she and a friend of ours make an ice cream run on movie night. I always try to resist, but seldom manage it. I end up getting a scoop or two of mint chocolate chip ice cream. It's REALLY hard for me to turn down ice cream when everybody else is having some.

Weirdly, I usually drop a pound or two the next day. But since this is always on the weekend, I'm pretty sure it's because I'm sleeping until I wake up for two days in a row, NOT because of the mystical weight loss properties of ice cream.

So basically my triggers are social ones. On my own, I don't tend to slip very often. Unless it's watermelon-related. With watermelon, I absolutely cannot be trusted.

Comment

solstice,

I love a hot mug in the morning. I gave up my coffee with milk and switched to green tea which has less of a caffeine effect in me. You were already drinking green tea ... if you want to give up the caffeine but still want a nice warm mug in the morning why not try some herbal tea (chamomile, lemon, mint, etc.)? I read that green tea contains the amino acid L-Theanine which calms the nervous system so might mitigate the effects of caffeine. For myself I find that green tea is much less stimulating. I could nap after a mug of green tea but could never do that with coffee.

Comment

on days i am sleep-deprived i definitely have trouble controlling impulse-eating. it's a battle royale all day. do you sleep well?

lol, or maybe just nap instead of having tea and treats.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by goldenrun View Post
              solstice,

I love a hot mug in the morning. I gave up my coffee with milk and switched to green tea which has less of a caffeine effect in me. You were already drinking green tea ... if you want to give up the caffeine but still want a nice warm mug in the morning why not try some herbal tea (chamomile, lemon, mint, etc.)? I read that green tea contains the amino acid L-Theanine which calms the nervous system so might mitigate the effects of caffeine. For myself I find that green tea is much less stimulating. I could nap after a mug of green tea but could never do that with coffee.
              I like Rooibos tea hot or iced or made into jello blocks. As much antioxidant power as green tea but zero caffeine.

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
              on days i am sleep-deprived i definitely have trouble controlling impulse-eating. it's a battle royale all day. do you sleep well?

lol, or maybe just nap instead of having tea and treats.
              Sleep is definitely a factor in munchies feelings for me.

Comment

interesting...I do not feel overly stimulated from a mug of green tea---and can have it in the evening and sleep fine.

I am coming off of a sleep deprived camping weekend---late nights, loud bluegrass music, crying babies in neighboring campsites. Slept fabulously well last night though so I think I'm getting back on track.

Dinner tonight seemed unable to satiate my appetitie -- chicken thighs cooked in bacon drippings, side of bacon and romaine lettuce. I opted for two scrambled eggs and am feeling much more even-keeled at the moment.

paleobird--do you think as epileptics, our brains crave sugar for it's role in excitotoxicity?

Comment

I love rooibos tea too---and that is usually my non-caffeinated choice!

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
                    interesting...I do not feel overly stimulated from a mug of green tea---and can have it in the evening and sleep fine.

I am coming off of a sleep deprived camping weekend---late nights, loud bluegrass music, crying babies in neighboring campsites. Slept fabulously well last night though so I think I'm getting back on track.

Dinner tonight seemed unable to satiate my appetitie -- chicken thighs cooked in bacon drippings, side of bacon and romaine lettuce. I opted for two scrambled eggs and am feeling much more even-keeled at the moment.

paleobird--do you think as epileptics, our brains crave sugar for it's role in excitotoxicity?
                    I don't really crave sweets much but I know that the first night I ever had a seizure was when I had stayed up til 4am studying with a pot of coffee and a stack of chocolate bars. When I went unmedicated I cut out sugar and caffeine and was able to cut back my seizures by about half.

So, to answer your question, I don't know if our brains crave it more, I just know that ours can't handle it as well.

Comment

Rooibos tea is one of the few types that I actually like. Yum!
                      >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                      >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                      >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

interesting, my first seizure was after a late night sleepover with a high school girlfriend. I'm sure my suspected college seizure(s) were influence by lack of sleep as well. I am usually most protective about my need for sleep---very cranky about this past weekend and my lack of it for two nights.

Comment

My friend who has epilepsy is very much affected by lack of sleep. When she has her seizures (usually a couple per year), it's after not getting much sleep... and missing her medication... sigh...
                          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
                            Rooibos tea is one of the few types that I actually like. Yum!
                            Yes, most herbal teas are to fruity or flowery for may tastes. Rooibos has some body to it.

Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
                            My friend who has epilepsy is very much affected by lack of sleep. When she has her seizures (usually a couple per year), it's after not getting much sleep... and missing her medication... sigh...
                            The one time I have had a seizure in the past six years was after a marathon trans-Pacific flight to China where you cross the date line and are all turned around about sleep when you get there. Plus I didn't have my dog with me to wake me up.

Comment

lately I have been overeating cream, and macademian nuts and I quit buying almond butter because it is too good.

Comment

Originally posted by cavequeen View Post
                                lately I have been overeating cream, and macademian nuts and I quit buying almond butter because it is too good.
                                Any size container of macadamia nuts is not safe in the same house with me. The good self limiting thing about them is that they are rather expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X