Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caloriegate?

Caloriegate: Why Our Focus on Counting Calories for Fat Loss Is Misplaced

Has anyone heard of this before? I am just now starting to read the 18 page report.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Nah I haven't but my interest is peaked! Did you just find it online?

Comment

am slogging through it -- am on page 17. his writing style is annoyingly juvenile.

am waiting for the big reveal but fear it's never coming...
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

It was emailed after I signed up. Caloriegate | Beyond Calorie Counting

It was quite the tease, although it reminded me that I never did finish Taubes book.

Comment

Two very interesting posts on the state of the “Paleo Diet” movement… | CALORIEGATE

because it is that TOM for me and I am lacking all ounces of concentration and motivation, I decided to check out his website and came across this post. It certainly made for an interesting read and took an interesting take on the CICO vs. CIH debate.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - from Adam

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
            Two very interesting posts on the state of the “Paleo Diet” movement… | CALORIEGATE

because it is that TOM for me and I am lacking all ounces of concentration and motivation, I decided to check out his website and came across this post. It certainly made for an interesting read and took an interesting take on the CICO vs. CIH debate.
            Hi guys,

This is Adam from Caloriegate here. I found this thread through a backlink. Thanks for your comments/critiques.

Whoever wrote that the writing style is annoyingly juvenile... I hear ya! That's what happens when you spend 10+ years writing hack content for the web as your job. I'd love to make the report/blog/etc better -- more compassionate, more useful, etc. If you guys have any suggestions -- stuff you thought was interesting, stuff you thought was B.S./useless, please let me know. To be honest, my target audience is not well-educated MDA-ers but rather people who've never really been exposed to the low carb/paleo message.

Also, don't know if you're interested, but I did a follow up post that eludciates some new thinking about the whole "calories vs carbs" war: How Will We Ever Resolve the Carbs Vs. Calories Debate? |

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks for the update. I will read it. I wish I understood it more, so thanks for sharing. BTW I sort of enjoyed the writing style, especially the graphics, but then again I am not nearly as smart as the others here. I am just trying to be a sponge and absorb.

Comment

thanks for the update as well. Will read it and also did not find ur writing style annoying at all! To each their own I guess. Ur blog is chill!

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
                  thanks for the update as well. Will read it and also did not find ur writing style annoying at all! To each their own I guess. Ur blog is chill!
                  Thanks - Appreciate the kind words!

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    Thanks for the update. I will read it. I wish I understood it more, so thanks for sharing. BTW I sort of enjoyed the writing style, especially the graphics, but then again I am not nearly as smart as the others here. I am just trying to be a sponge and absorb.

Thanks for the feedback, and I hear you! The deeper you delve into this nutrition stuff, the more chaotic it all seems to become. :]

Comment

Instead of IONO
                      What about "Overstoring hypothesis, Not Overeating"...........Oh NO
                      "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                        Instead of IONO
                        What about "Overstoring hypothesis, Not Overeating"...........Oh NO
                        Ha! That's brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamK View Post
                          The deeper you delve into this nutrition stuff, the more chaotic it all seems to become. :]
                          'xactly!!

I haven't had much time to do all the reading, all the why for's & all. I wish there was just a cut to the chase button. I would really like to understand. Actually a button that says.. here Melinda, you need to eat this and do that - on this schedule. That would be great. Can someone work on that? ha

I am doing okay so far, but this summer was slooooow. Mostly do to some weekend choices. I would spend the following week trying to make up for lost ground. So I learned alot. But still, I understand there is not a one size fits all, which is a good thing I guess, but sometimes I wish there were. Either black or white, and not all this gray crap, like 50 shades of it.

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                            'xactly!!

I haven't had much time to do all the reading, all the why for's & all. I wish there was just a cut to the chase button. I would really like to understand. Actually a button that says.. here Melinda, you need to eat this and do that - on this schedule. That would be great. Can someone work on that? ha

I am doing okay so far, but this summer was slooooow. Mostly do to some weekend choices. I would spend the following week trying to make up for lost ground. So I learned alot. But still, I understand there is not a one size fits all, which is a good thing I guess, but sometimes I wish there were. Either black or white, and not all this gray crap, like 50 shades of it.
                            Ha! With all these 50 Shades puns everywhere, I feel like I need to read the book just to stay current with pop culture. (my wife finally got me to watch the Call Me Maybe video a few days ago, making me approximately the 3rd to last person in america to do so)

Agreed that we need that magic button! Who has time to get the equivalent in a degree in nutrition just to make breakfast? It's ridiculous. "just count carbs" and "eat like grok" and "just eat real food" are decent enough first-order shortcuts, imperfect as they are. But once you get beyond the simple slogans... it ain't so simple. Eesh!

We'll unscramble this all soon enough. Right?? Hope so.

In the meantime, I'm gonna make some cage free scrambled eggs, on the theory that the eggheads we trust are right about em.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamK View Post
                              The deeper you delve into this nutrition stuff, the more chaotic it all seems to become. :]
                              People make shit complicated. Usually to avoid unpleasant truths. And the truth of the matter is that your grandma was pretty damn close to the reality of it all when she would say "You can't put it on if you don't put it in."

Where paleo/primal can help a significant number of people is in helping moderate the "in" part. But even that is most effective when very high levels of weight need to be lost. The closer to "optimal" you get, the more it simply becomes a matter of self discipline on controlling eating quantities, and the less it matters (inside a very wide range) what is actually being consumed.

All the focus around here on expensive grass fed this and meat finished by magical unicorn fairies that only come down from the Alps on third Tuesday of October completely misses the point that the quality of meat Grok ate was *horrible*. Most of it we would consider road kill and throw in the trash. Yet that is what we evolved eating, once we figured out fire and could cook the snot out of almost any bit of carrion.

There is no magic formula in all this...beyond what grandma sussed out a long time ago...

KISS - don't eat crap, don't eat too much - and hang in there. There's nothing like perseverance to bring clarity.
                              Last edited by DeeDub; 08-25-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X