Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Approx. how much do you spend on groceries for one person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spend $150-$200 a month on food for myself. My diet is mostly greens, butter/ghee, grassfed beef, seafood, avocados, tomatoes, lots of mustard, zucchini, carrots, kombucha, salsa, tea, and some raw/grassfed cheese.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Comment

Originally posted by unsuperb View Post
      ? I assume that they are referring to a CSA produce box, though I could be wrong. It's typically a cheaper way to obtain large quantities of locally grown produce (if you have the people to eat it)
      I am guessing that some CSAs must not be based on the idea of "local," but "organic" with no rules about where the food comes from.
      In my area there is a CSA box program where everything comes from the farm with the program. I plan on using their service starting next year.
      Female, age 51, 5' 9"
      SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
      2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Christina* View Post
        I'm curious - approximately how much do you guys spend on groceries per person? TIA
        I buy primarily organic, whole foods and grass fed dairy products. I bet I spend $1200/mo easy for my family of 5. That is just grocery; not eating out or extras like coffee shop.
        Last edited by PHaselow; 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM.
        sigpic
        Age 48
        Start date: 7-5-12
        5'3"
        121lbs
        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
          I get my produce from a CSA, which I spent US$380 on for a 6-month single share. There are so many veggies, fruits, and berries that I've actually frozen about 1/4-1/3 of what I've gotten each week, so I think I'll be eating the stuff nearly all year.

Because of this, the only things we (house of 2) buy at the supermarket or farmer's market are canned goods (coconut milk, etc.), meat, dairy, eggs and alcohol. On average, I think we spend about US$90 per week.
          This is how I'd like to do it next summer. I tried CSA two years ago and wasted so much food... eating with a different attitude now. I know I'll be able to use 20lbs of kohlrabi if that's all I get, plus the less than perfect look of the produce won't bug me like it used to do (picky shopper). I'm impressed with many people's stories!
          sigpic
          Age 48
          Start date: 7-5-12
          5'3"
          121lbs
          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
          Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Converted to USD, I spend about $100 a week on my own food.

The quality here is luckily really amazing as well. I can't imagine being a student as I am right now and being primal in some of the other countries where food is lower quality and more expensive.

My bill only rises significantly if I start getting dark chocolate or nuts for snacks... I can easily spend $10 on an afternoon snack hahaha.
            Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
            Bench: 45kg/99lb
            Squat: 100kg/220lb
            Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
            My journal

Comment

For the two of us we normally spend anywhere from $500-700 per month.
              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I spend about $500 to $700 a month for two of us. We eat a lot of meat as you would expect. The lamb and beef and most of the chicken are free range. The pork is grain fed even if its supposedly free range - to make it less chewy I expect. When we grew our own pork wholly free range it was as tough as old boots even when killed very young. I grow my own veges for about half the year and buy when food doesn't grow here.

Comment

Working...
                X