No announcement yet.

Hungry and scared...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primal isn't an Atkins diet. It sounds like you are doing more of an Atkins approach. Yes, there is the carb curve, but avoiding grains, sugar and crappy vegetable oils is equally as major a part of the diet, actually it's a bigger part of the diet. You should watch Mark's interview with Dr. Eenfeldt.
    Low Carb Paleo with Mark Sisson - YouTube

You might also enjoy David Attias' interview as well.
    Very Low Carb Performance - YouTube

And you might actually like Dr. Eenfeldt's website.
    Diet Doctor - Real food for your health
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check them out. I actually have given up most grains, just not 100%. Haven't eaten any bread, cereal, rice, beans, hummus, salad oil, cookies, pasta or corn in a week or so. These were all staples previously. About the only grain I am still eating is the skin on a baked potato knish. Since a whole knish is 27 g. of carbs, the skin can't be more than 7 or 8 g. of carb. And unless I believed grains were poison (and I don't) I don't believe an amount that small can make any significant difference.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      Primal isn't an Atkins diet. It sounds like you are doing more of an Atkins approach. Yes, there is the carb curve, but avoiding grains, sugar and crappy vegetable oils is equally as major a part of the diet, actually it's a bigger part of the diet. You should watch Mark's interview with Dr. Eenfeldt.
      Low Carb Paleo with Mark Sisson - YouTube

You might also enjoy David Attias' interview as well.
      Very Low Carb Performance - YouTube

And you might actually like Dr. Eenfeldt's website.
      Diet Doctor - Real food for your health

Comment

Not interested in VLC at all. If it works for you, go for it. Mark's approach resonates with me. He stresses the dose context of what works for you. Nowhere does he say "all or nothing". He stresses making life enjoyable and if you want to add small amounts of sugar, chocolate, wine, dairy, etc. go for it. Also he says in the Low Carb Paleo video on youtube that he is presently on 100 g. of carbs a day, starts his day with a big cup of coffee, ends the day with a piece of chocolate and a glass of wine.
        Last edited by Bob-Tao; 08-25-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob-Tao View Post
          Maybe so. In two weeks of "no grains/legumes" I had Chinese one afternoon which included 2 spring rolls and some steamed wontons, chicken and spare ribs. Had three chicken pot pies with crust and probably one of those small dixie cups of ice cream with a little syrup on it most nights. Had about 4 potato knish's with the coating. Had fruit twice a day. Had honey 3 or 4 times. Had no rice, beans, cereal, bread, cookies, hummus or corn. Maybe it's not primal enough. Maybe it's no better or healthier than a full SAD diet. I guess time will tell.
          the basic of eating this way is avoiding sugar, crap seed oils and grains. you have sugar most days with the ice cream and that american-chinese food is the unholy trinity of crap to avoid.

unlike some other plans, it's not just about the carb count, it's moreso the quality of carbs that matters here. crap wontons fried in old craptastic rancid oil, even if "only" 50 carbs, or whathaveyou, is a whole other can o'beans than a plate of fruit or a bushel of sweet potatoes.

perhaps the way you're eating now is a vast improvement over a few weeks ago? if so, that's great. as time goes on, you may discover you no longer want to eat some of the stuff you "cheat" with now.

the longer you eat clean, the more your palate becomes sensitized to the lovely flavors of real food.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Starting to get a taste for sweet potatoes. My wife roasted quartered sweet potatoes in the oven with some salt, pepper, garlic and water for about an hour. Then she threw out the water and browned them in the oven with a little olive oil. Oh my God. They were the sweetest most delicious things I ever had. Ate almost a pound of them. Well worth the 80 g. of carbs.
            Tonight I had one microwaved in the skin with some butter and sour cream. Almost as good.

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            the basic of eating this way is avoiding sugar, crap seed oils and grains. you have sugar most days with the ice cream and that american-chinese food is the unholy trinity of crap to avoid.

unlike some other plans, it's not just about the carb count, it's moreso the quality of carbs that matters here. crap wontons fried in old craptastic rancid oil, even if "only" 50 carbs, or whathaveyou, is a whole other can o'beans than a plate of fruit or a bushel of sweet potatoes.

perhaps the way you're eating now is a vast improvement over a few weeks ago? if so, that's great. as time goes on, you may discover you no longer want to eat some of the stuff you "cheat" with now.

the longer you eat clean, the more your palate becomes sensitized to the lovely flavors of real food.

Comment

Working...
            X