Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hungry and scared...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    Gopintos,
    Maybe I'm wrong but looking at what you eat I'm seeing what looks to me like an Atkins diet, very low carb, very high fat and protein... No wonder you are hungry. I'm on no grains/legumes for 12 days now but am eating cherries, grapes, strawberries with honey, pecans with honey, and occasional grains in the form of crust on a quiche or a pot pie, occasional steamed won tons and spring rolls and the skin on potato knish. I'm also having an occasional dixie cup ice cream sundae, and red wine mixed with seltzer. This doesn't have to be all or nothing. What I'm not eating any of is bread, beans, hummus, rice, corn, cookies, cake, so my grains are probably a small fraction of what they were and my legumes are zero. In twelve days I've lost a few pounds and feel pretty good in terms of energy, and I'm never hungry.
    This is bad advice and not primal. For some it's very important to be all or nothing in the beginning!
    Last edited by healthy11; 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      I meant to address the reply to obsessed rather than gopinto. Sorry. Why is it not primal? We can have up to 140 carbs a day.
      Don't you think eating 80 or 90 % primal is better than trying to be perfect and quitting?

      Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
      This is bad advice and not primal.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Bob-Tao View Post
        I meant to address the reply to obsessed rather than gopinto. Sorry. Why is it not primal? We can have up to 140 carbs a day.
        Don't you think eating 80 or 90 % primal is better than trying to be perfect and quitting?
        Because eating any sugar can make you hungry, cause blood sugar spikes and cravings for more sugar which makes it impossible for your body to switch from being a sugar burner to a fat burner. Didn't mean to be rude, just that for some it's not that relaxed and simple... it's all or nothing.
        Last edited by healthy11; 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
          Because eating any sugar can make you hungry, cause blood sugar spikes and cravings for more sugar which makes it impossible for your body to switch from being a sugar burner to a fat burner. Didn't mean to be rude, just that for some it's not that relaxed and simple... it's all or nothing.
          Truth.

          I'm definitely not the type to get all fanatical about Primal or Paleo. But in the beginning, adding in sugars, no matter what they're from, isn't advised. It just extends any carb flu and keeps you hungry and tired for much longer.

          If anything, fat could be added.
          Last edited by RitaRose; 08-20-2012, 07:19 PM.
          Durp.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Bob-Tao View Post
            Gopintos,
            I'm on no grains/legumes for 12 days now but am eating cherries, grapes, strawberries with honey, pecans with honey, and occasional grains in the form of crust on a quiche or a pot pie, occasional steamed won tons and spring rolls and the skin on potato knish. I'm also having an occasional dixie cup ice cream sundae, and red wine mixed with seltzer.
            So you're on "no" grains ... ... ... except for those "occasional" grains like quiche, pot pie, wontons, spring rolls, and knish? If you had all that in 12 days, that's not primal. Grains are the biggest no-no in primal because of the inflammation and insulin issues, not just the carbs. And after all that fruit and honey, I would be surprised if you're under 140 carbs.

            Have you gone through carb flu?
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

            Comment


            • #51
              No carb flu, but I had been on weight watchers for three months and lost 12 lbs., so I had cut down on carbs quite a bit already. What I did feel the first few days was a scary amount of energy and I was very wired which was a bit uncomfortable.
              For some I know it's all or nothing, but for me I have to have some flexibility to succeed. Just trying to find the tipping point and stay below it. I thought fresh fruit and raw honey was "primal" but I'm pretty sure if eaten to excess it would stop myweight loss.

              Originally posted by oxide View Post
              So you're on "no" grains ... ... ... except for those "occasional" grains like quiche, pot pie, wontons, spring rolls, and knish? If you had all that in 12 days, that's not primal. Grains are the biggest no-no in primal because of the inflammation and insulin issues, not just the carbs. And after all that fruit and honey, I would be surprised if you're under 140 carbs.

              Have you gone through carb flu?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by merryish View Post
                You sound a lot like me, gopintos. Sleep seems to be a huge factor for me, too (and so of course, the hardest thing for me to manage). I've also got sleep apnea. But on the bright side, in the past year the pressure I require has dropped by half. I have to use an apap now because the pressure has dropped so radically; I'm at around 6.5-7 most nights.

                I've got hopes of ditching the mask someday, too!

                I second gopintos advice. And I agree that right now, you should probably concentrate more on feeding your hunger than on your calories. Give your body a chance to adjust to the changes. I'm about 8 years older than you and currently about 40 lbs heavier, so I know how unhealthy you feel, but there's no way to rush the weight loss. If you try, you'll just end up less healthy than when you started.

                Sleep, eat fats or fatty meats/fish whenever you're hungry, stay hydrated, cut out added sugar entirely, and make sure you're getting some salt in your diet every day. Everything else you're doing looks pretty good (though it wouldn't hurt to add more eggs to your breakfast - get out in front of the hunger first thing). Give it a couple of weeks before you start worrying about how many calories you're taking in. I find that I tend to self-regulate at around 2000 cal, and as long as my fats are high and carbs low, I lose weight at a pretty steady clip. Not everybody is like that, but enough are that it's worth a shot.

                In this early stage, keep some boiled eggs, cold meats, and if you like them, avocados, on hand for when you're hungry. My first few weeks on the diet I ate approximately two bushels of avocados. Now I have one or two every couple of days or so. But for now, the most important thing is what you eat, not how much.

                Could you possible post some of your daily intake, Merrish?
                The whole in my stomach hunger is waning which is good cause it was freaking me out.. but I am struggling with meals... I need to include more veggies which has always been a problem and now I have to cook two meals. One for my fam and one for me.... Unfortunately, my family is not willing to diet. Not right now at least. My hubby pretty much hated the WW year. He isnt ready to jump on another fad diet but he is a naturally skinny man and doesnt feel he has to worry about health... to each his own.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I need to include more veggies which has always been a problem and now I have to cook two meals. One for my fam and one for me....
                  Just get into a habit of "meat and threes". Make a protein for all of you. Two low carb side dishes, one carby side dish. Very easy. For example- breakfast this weekend was bacon and eggs...and hubby got a piece of toast. Or I'll do grilled meat, veggies and bake him a potato. No need to make something different- just add in some carbs for the non-dieters.

                  http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    Just get into a habit of "meat and threes". Make a protein for all of you. Two low carb side dishes, one carby side dish. Very easy. For example- breakfast this weekend was bacon and eggs...and hubby got a piece of toast. Or I'll do grilled meat, veggies and bake him a potato. No need to make something different- just add in some carbs for the non-dieters.
                    ^^ Absolutely how I go about it too. Happy husband, happy me.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                      Just get into a habit of "meat and threes". Make a protein for all of you. Two low carb side dishes, one carby side dish. Very easy. For example- breakfast this weekend was bacon and eggs...and hubby got a piece of toast. Or I'll do grilled meat, veggies and bake him a potato. No need to make something different- just add in some carbs for the non-dieters.

                      This. They are none the wiser, and it benefits their overall health as well.

                      I was just mentioning somewhere, can't remember where, but my daughter said she had to buy a pant size smaller this year than last year. DH has lost 20lbs. And I noticed yesterday, that my 18 year old son has some new muscle definition. On his own, he cut out the Mt. Dew. He said this morning that really over the last 30 days, he hasnt had fast food either.

                      My kids are fine weight wise. Pretty skinny actually. My son can't keep a 28 waist on his @ss. Maybe skinny fat since they are leaning out in areas. And they have not been doing anything extra on their own (like working out) They just eat what I fix or fix something from what I have in the house.
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

                      Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        Just get into a habit of "meat and threes". Make a protein for all of you. Two low carb side dishes, one carby side dish. Very easy. For example- breakfast this weekend was bacon and eggs...and hubby got a piece of toast. Or I'll do grilled meat, veggies and bake him a potato. No need to make something different- just add in some carbs for the non-dieters...Unfortunately, my family is not willing to diet.
                        Ditto. My family dinners are "primal with a side of rice". Some kind of meat, a roasted or steamed & buttered veggie (or veggie medley), and a raw veggie or salad. With rice for those who want it. Occasionally I'll cook potatoes or pasta, if it makes sense as a side for my meat dish. If everyone else is having burgers, I have my patties on top of a salad. My tacos are "mexican lettuce wraps". One of my family's favorite meals is scramble fried ground beef & onions served over stir-fried shredded cabbage, carrots & broccoli. (cooked in bacon fat of course) They don't even miss the rice.

                        There is nothing "diet" about burgers, tacos, roast beef and roasted veggies, chicken roasted in the skin... stop referring to Primal as a diet in front of your family, and instead call it a "way of eating". And pass the bacon.
                        Sandra
                        *My obligatory intro

                        There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

                        DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Same thing here with the "variations on a theme" dinner. Tacos are in tortillas for them, in a bowl or on some lettuce for me. Spaghetti is a bowl full of meatballs, sauce and parm for me, on pasta for them.
                          Durp.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I have to prepare gorgeous meals and desserts for DH and others and it never bothers me anymore. I make him sandwiches everyday, graham crackers and creamy PB, Klondike bars, etc. and I do it now without a second thought. I am deep in ketosis and wouldn't blow this high for nothin'

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              "Meat and three" got it!....

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Bob-Tao View Post
                                Gopintos,
                                Maybe I'm wrong but looking at what you eat I'm seeing what looks to me like an Atkins diet, very low carb, very high fat and protein... No wonder you are hungry. I'm on no grains/legumes for 12 days now but am eating cherries, grapes, strawberries with honey, pecans with honey, and occasional grains in the form of crust on a quiche or a pot pie, occasional steamed won tons and spring rolls and the skin on potato knish. I'm also having an occasional dixie cup ice cream sundae, and red wine mixed with seltzer. This doesn't have to be all or nothing. What I'm not eating any of is bread, beans, hummus, rice, corn, cookies, cereal, cake, so my grains are probably a small fraction of what they were and my legumes are zero. In twelve days I've lost a few pounds and feel pretty good in terms of energy, and I'm never hungry.
                                You don't eat grains but you eat a lot of pastries, wontons and spring rolls. No sugar but ice cream and honey added to your fruit. That's not really the Primal Blueprint. Sounds more like you are on a reduced-calorie conventional diet, perhaps you are still on Weight Watchers.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X