Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does a batch of bone broth last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does a batch of bone broth last?

I was out shopping here in Kabul today and went to the butcher. To my delight, they sell bones (2 bucks a kilo) and I'm now making a nice batch of broth. How long does a pot of broth last just sitting in the fridge and taking a couple cups full every day?

And when it's on the stove, should the water be boiling or just simmering?

Comment

Simmering, do you have a slow cooker? much easier and safer.

4 days? Freeze excess in small portions to thaw later.

Comment

Also, my stove is a gas-flame one and the lowest heat on the smallest burner still causes the broth to boil. Since I'd like to make this a nice, slow broth over the course of two days, I'm wondering what remedy to this problem is there? Can I just keep adding water to it when it gets low, or will that dilute all of the nutrients?

Thanks for the feedback thus far!!!

Comment

I think that when I make it at home, we basically put it on medium high heat for 4-5 hours, then let it stop. You can reuse the bones again.
          feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Comment

If you use a proper stock pot, I found that eating a cup or two a day it can last 1-2 weeks because it results in a LOT of stock but I'm talking 16 quart stock pot. I froze a lot of it actually and it kept really well. Love bone broth, wish I had more time to make it!

Comment

I keep it 4 days in the fridge. I put it in smaller jars so the layer of fat at the top keeps out air. I also freeze one or two jars with room at the top so it lasts even longer.

I cook it in the slow cooker for 72 hrs. I always put in a bit of vinegar. I never boil it even when reheating.

Below are links to Mark's blog on this and the fabulous recipe that I (mostly) follow (I roast twice at 30 mins each and sometimes add garlic or shallots as well). My broth turns to solid jelly in the fridge and I scrape off most of the fat to freeze & cook with.

Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Make "Brown" Beef Bone Stock

I also highly recommend you search the forums as there are quite a few threads on bone broth. I hated my first batch but now I have the knack of it. Chicken bones/carcasses take FAR less time - 12 hours, I think ...
              SW: 243
              CW: 177
              Goal: Health

Comment

I just finished making a big batch of chicken bone broth yesterday. Make sure you have added some vinegar (at least 1/4 cup) while cooking the broth to help dissolve the nutrients from the bones. I have a bunch of wide mouth pint-size glass jars that are suitable for freezing. So I freeze my broth in 2-cup portions. Each jar equals in quantity about 1 can of store bought broth. When I run out of jars, I freeze the rest in a big plastic pitcher, figuring I'll use it to make at least one big batch of soup for the family or to take to a pot-luck. To thaw the jars, put some luke-warm water in the sink. Set the jar in the water. When it thaws enough around the inside edge of the jar, you can dump it out into a sauce pan and finish heating it on the stove.

Good luck with your bone broth!
                Ruth
                Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by afsjesse View Post
                  Also, my stove is a gas-flame one and the lowest heat on the smallest burner still causes the broth to boil. Since I'd like to make this a nice, slow broth over the course of two days, I'm wondering what remedy to this problem is there? Can I just keep adding water to it when it gets low, or will that dilute all of the nutrients?

Thanks for the feedback thus far!!!
                  If you can, try getting a used crockpot at a tag sale. For now, topping up with water is OK - you can always reduce it later if it's not jellied enough. I turn my crock off for 20 mins every so often when it bubbles too much (or switch it to the warm setting)... I guess you can do the same. If your oven goes low, you can cook it in an oven proof dish with lid if you have one? keep it on low and periodically turn off for 20 mins at a time, perhaps.

Just some thoughts...

Comment

I cook for 72 hours - mine never jellies but I haven't been using knuckle bones, just marrow bones. I usually get 4 quarts and keep it in the fridge. It lasts about a week and a half. I use it as a breakfast soup with greens and eggs, and also make all of my sauces with it. It's good to boil potatoes in too.

Comment

I searched for this the other day. I want to make some. It is basically like making stock, right? Except that I never added vinegar to stock before. I read the definition of broth vs stock, but can't remember now but it was similar, so I know I can do this I have been saving lots of chicken pieces in the freezer.

Thing is, I never would have thought to just drink (eat, whatever) chicken stock.
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

uhm?? what are you guys doing? mine lasts UNTIL

did you add salt and vinegar?
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

In Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" he says that you can keep stock in the fridge for a long time if you boil it every third day. That is a great cookbook by the way.

I recently started freezing my broth in ice cube trays and like how easy that makes it use whatever amount I need (versus freezing in larger containers).

This weekend I am going to try making homemade bouillon cubes from these instructions: Homemade Bouillon (Portable Soup)

The author of the above recipe says the cubes will keep at room temperature for six months! I might keep mine in the fridge just to be on the safe side, but still, that would be amazing to have a lot of those cubes on hand. And with the reducing you have a lot more "stock" stored in a lot less space. Pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            In Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" he says that you can keep stock in the fridge for a long time if you boil it every third day. That is a great cookbook by the way.

I recently started freezing my broth in ice cube trays and like how easy that makes it use whatever amount I need (versus freezing in larger containers).

This weekend I am going to try making homemade bouillon cubes from these instructions: Homemade Bouillon (Portable Soup)

The author of the above recipe says the cubes will keep at room temperature for six months! I might keep mine in the fridge just to be on the safe side, but still, that would be amazing to have a lot of those cubes on hand. And with the reducing you have a lot more "stock" stored in a lot less space. Pretty cool.
                            Pretty cool indeed. That looks like the perfect Primal backpacking food.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post

I've been hearing some concerns on how boiling can denature some proteins but haven't done my own research. But DANG those jelly bouillon cubes are a DYNAMITE idea. Thank you so much for sharing that link!

Comment

Working...
                              X