Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Whole Foods Pretty Reliable as Far as Organic and Grass Fed Go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Whole Foods Pretty Reliable as Far as Organic and Grass Fed Go?

Hello Primal Fam!

I have been doing readings on organic vs non-organic and grass vs grain fed livestock and the advantages of eating organic and grassfed foods.

I am still not sure I completely buy into the whole organic is better but I am definitely being swayed in favour of eating organic and at the least been blessed enough to afford experimenting with organic veggies and grassfed meats to see if it actually makes a different for weight loss, inflammation and mental benefits.

I am in my mid twenties so I am not that concerned about the effects of eating non organic on my health...definitely not concerned enough to spend money on whole foods that can sometimes be three or four times more expensive than my local grocery store.

So I guess my question is....is wholefoods organic and grassfed supply pretty reliable? Or are they certain arbitrary tests that is passed before their foods are labelled organic and/or grassfed without them actually being organic etc.
    In other words, if there is a little bit of disposable income would it be wise to spend it on whole foods organic and grassfed meats? or should I just continue my search for a less commercialized organic source?

Thanks Yall

WF is very reliable but you do pay for it.

Depending on where you are you may be able to find a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) group. Some do produce, I have one that does just grass fed/finished beef and lamb. Much less expensive than WF if you have the freezer space to buy 8lbs/month at once.

Comment

Thanks Paleobird. I am in Ontario. Do I just google the name?

I don't mind paying if I can trust it! Maybe it would even make me eat less and I will try to spread it out as long as I can. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
        Thanks Paleobird. I am in Ontario. Do I just google the name?

I don't mind paying if I can trust it! Maybe it would even make me eat less and I will try to spread it out as long as I can. lol
        Ontario, Canada or Ontario, California?

Comment

I shop at whole foods often. They're pretty good about labeling their produce, so I always try to see whether it's coming from a local farm or not. I'd rather buy a sustainably grown local (but not organic) item than buy something organic from out of the country. It would certainly be better & possibly less expensive to sign up with a CSA.

Comment

Canada

Comment

The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto: What Now?

This was recently sent to me regarding wf..

Comment

I just found a CSA farm with a pick up location just 20KM from where I live. I am so excited considering I did not even know there was such a thing as CSA! *does happy dance* Will call them and see what they offer.....woohoo!

Comment

Canada
                  Ah. If it was CA, I was going to suggest the one I use which does all of SoCal.

I just found a CSA farm with a pick up location just 20KM from where I live. I am so excited considering I did not even know there was such a thing as CSA! *does happy dance* Will call them and see what they offer.....woohoo!
                  Yay! Doncha just adore this forum? I just learned about a coffee alternative from Dr. Bork that is basically ground up roasted cocoa beans and you learned about this here. I love it.

Comment

They are pretty reliable, though beware of organic products from China. I have a hard time trusting those.

Also, try to find a local farm, look at eatwild.com. Cut out the middleman and you can save money and be more sure of the quality of the meat you're getting.

Comment

I believe that WFoods complies with the fed'l govt defintion of organic. And grass fed. I beleive that WFoods is a profit making entity. This is not a bad thing. If I invested in low dividend companies, I'd put some money in Whole Foods over WalMart. Because in 1990 we spent $1 Billion for organic products and in 2011, we spent $29B and that's a trend.

But right now, WFoods seems to be catering to vegetarians - there is too much soy in their processed foods like tomato sauce and breads.

As long as you approach them with the same "professional scepticism" as you approach any other profit making entity, you're fine.

They are better than most. But their belief in soy and vegetarianism is not an agenda that Primals/Paleos follow.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

You can also google "your town + raw milk/grassfed beef/pastured eggs/etc" and find a bounty of providers. I actually find this to be more expensive than whole foods though, and whole foods is plenty expensive!
                        Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
                        Pre-preg weight: 130
                        Current: 145 (eek!)
                        Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
                        Started Primal in May '12.
                        My Blog
                        Join the Revolution!

Comment

Ya I called around a couple of places and they only seem to be selling wholesale or family packs at the very least, I will keep trying because I really don't need like 300lbs of meat...lol

Comment

Ya I called around a couple of places and they only seem to be selling wholesale or family packs at the very least, I will keep trying because I really don't need like 300lbs of meat...lol
                            Then there is something called "cowpooling" where you can go in splits on a cow with several other people. You might be able to find such a group in your area.

Comment

Yup. I have an aunt and uncle with 5 lil ones....I think she buys her meat from local farmers in bulk now that I think about it, although i doubt she was doing it for primal reasons, I will ask her and she if she wants "in"

Comment

Working...
                              X