OMG! Chicken Livers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! Chicken Livers!

Ok, I am a country girl but I do not ever recall eating chicken livers. Not knowingly by choice anyways. I have bought my share before, to use them to go catfishing but to eat them? Never ever crossed my mind.

Well, I just happened to see some today so I bought them, and came home and fixed them. Little bacon grease, with some onions. My oh my did they hit the spot. I was pretty hungry though, but I can't believe I havent tried them sooner.

I continue to amaze myself every day, with something it seems. Either the ability to pass up a donut, or to not stop at a drive thru, or to skip breakfast & maybe even lunch, or to cinch up my belt to the last possible notch - just amazed every day
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Yes, they are immensely more delicious than cow liver. Good addition to the menu! Congrats!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
      Ok, I am a country girl but I do not ever recall eating chicken livers. Not knowingly by choice anyways. I have bought my share before, to use them to go catfishing but to eat them?
      You do that too? Awesome.....and yes they are great! My kids think they are "chicken nuggets"

Comment

love LOVE chicken livers!!!! ^5

Comment

I am going to have to research my comeback for DH though. Before when I have mentioned fixing liver, I got the schpeel about do you know what the liver is used for and at the time, I couldnt remember what my reply should have been, but I know I have read it on here somewhere

Comment

You tell him the liver removes toxins, it does not store them.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Just ordered some from my farmer. Went out for dinner last month to a nice restaurant and they had a chicken liver pate appetizer that just about had me licking the plate, so I want to try to reconstruct it...

Mark had a chicken liver pate recipe, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                You tell him the liver removes toxins, it does not store them.
                This^ and it worked on my DH

Comment

Originally posted by longing2bfit View Post
                  This^ and it worked on my DH
                  Thirded. Here's the post where Mark debunked the "liver stores toxins" myth: Does the Liver Store Toxins? | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Thanks y'all. Gonna read up and have my gun loaded

Comment

Chicken liver pate is great.
                      Fry up some liver in a bunch of butter. Spice any way you like while cooking. I like Italian herbs, garlic, s&p, and a dash of sherry (or not). Then use a hand blender or put everything in the regular blender and add some cream. Blend until reeeealy smooooth.
                      Then cool and put in tupperware cups to chill.
                      Pate makes a great portable Primal protein option. Also a good breakfast option when you don't feel like cooking.

(can be made with other kinds of liver too)

Comment

Oh, wait until you've tried duck liver....

Comment

I will have to try pate next. I had the liver again for supper, and I wasnt quite as hungry and it was a tad cooled off by the time I got around to it, and already had salad on the plate so I didnt feel like going to the trouble to warm it up, so it wasn't quite as yummy as lunch but still good.

How often should one eat it and how much at a time? I can look it up also, was just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba View Post
                            Oh, wait until you've tried duck liver....
                            and goose.....

About frequency of liver eating. The only real answer is "it depends". There is a lot of conflicting info out there. Everything from eat it every day if you want to live to if you eat more than one once once a week you will die. Frankly I think a lot of the fear about "ODing" on liver is overblown. It is chock full of some wonderful vitamins. If you are already taking a lot of supplements, you should think about the overlap. Otherwise just enjoy when you feel like it. When your body has had enough, it will tell you. Liver just won't appeal that day.
                            Last edited by Paleobird; 08-15-2012, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I admit, all I've had is beef liver. I do have some lambs liver in the freezer somewhere, I should dig it out and try it. I will have to try chicken liver, I love pâté but have never made my own either.
                              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Working...
                              X