No announcement yet.

OMG! Chicken Livers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom and I used to fight over the turkey liver on Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was a kid.

I say eat all the liver you want. When you don't want it, you've had enough. The danger is overblown. Polar bear liver is what you want to worry about. Like anybody's going to see that at the market.

I've been getting into trying all kinds of odd bits lately. Pork belly with skin (one day I'll get it crispy), oxtails, the giblets with my whole chicken (cockscomb anyone?). I just tried tongue. Wow that's good cold! I keep looking for chicken hearts. One of these days I'll muster the courage for kidney but I think I have the guts to try hog maw first (ha ha, get it? Hog maw is stomach.) I'll stuff it with sausage and sweet potatoes or something like that.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      I say eat all the liver you want. When you don't want it, you've had enough.
      I've been getting into trying all kinds of odd bits lately.
      I froze it this morning. Didnt sound appealing again :P So that will be like 3 meals for like 2 bucks. Awesome!

When I was married the first time around, we butchered all our own stuff. So it was nothing to fix cow tongue. I tried pork rinds for the first time the other day. Have never been to our local Testicle Festival, not sure how those rank. I am sure those are breaded and deep fried in crap though. I don't think I have ever had kidney. I dont think I have ever had any brains either. Or I guess most any of that stuff actually. I think I have had hearts before.
      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

You've inspired me to take my organic lamb livers out of the freezer! (And get some organic chicken livers at the farmers' market tonight....)

Comment

me too! On the fresh, cage free natural chicken livers. You guys have made me hungry for them

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
            I froze it this morning. Didnt sound appealing again :P So that will be like 3 meals for like 2 bucks. Awesome!

When I was married the first time around, we butchered all our own stuff. So it was nothing to fix cow tongue. I tried pork rinds for the first time the other day. Have never been to our local Testicle Festival, not sure how those rank. I am sure those are breaded and deep fried in crap though. I don't think I have ever had kidney. I dont think I have ever had any brains either. Or I guess most any of that stuff actually. I think I have had hearts before.
            My dad used to fix us cow or pig brains with scrambled eggs. Man was that good. I miss it. When I lived in NC, they sold chicken livers in the KFC. Now I was not Paleo way back then but I lived off of those livers!! Man talk about something good!! Life in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderchild View Post
              My dad used to fix us cow or pig brains with scrambled eggs. Man was that good. I miss it. When I lived in NC, they sold chicken livers in the KFC. Now I was not Paleo way back then but I lived off of those livers!! Man talk about something good!! Life in the country.
              Oh yeah. I've never had pig brains but lamb brains are wonderful this way. It's like eating egg flavored butter.

p.s. Thunderchild, I like your sig. My house was designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Comment

How about chicken gizzards? I just tried to do a search but it is a being contrary at the moment. Thanks!

Comment

Everything I've searched for about chicken gizzards includes lots of laments on how on earth to make them tender. It seems you have to deep fry them and then steam them afterwards or do other complicated stuff. Sounds like too much trouble to me, plus I don't like deep frying. Perhaps they tenderize after a day in a crock pot.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Personally, I give the gizzards to my dog for a treat. They are too tough to bother with, IMO.

Comment

Yal I was thinking crock pot, or braising them low & slow or something. I bought some at the store today. El Cheapo!! I was hoping they would be okay. I know I use to fix them, but they were crunchy. Couldnt really eat the grisly part in the middle but it was meaty enough on the ends.

Comment

Working...
                      X