What's wrong with couscous?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with couscous?

I need to introduce some heavier carbs back in to my life. Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes don't agree with me. Rice is fine, but in moderation. Quinoa comes out tops, but in terms of grains couscous seems to be an okay option?...

Or is it??
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Couscous is made out of wheat. Not Paleo/Primal.

Want more "heavy" carbs? Eat more root vegetables.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Comment

You are probably better off with millet or buckwheat if you are looking for non-glutenous grains; they are quite high in terms of nutrients.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Cous cous is basically small round bits of hard pasta.

Comment

it is funny what you learn. I did not even know cous cous WAS made of wheat, here i was thinking it was a grain in its own right

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
            You are probably better off with millet or buckwheat if you are looking for non-glutenous grains; they are quite high in terms of nutrients.
            Thanks Leida!

Unless someone would like to tell me what's wrong with millet or buckwheat..?
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I was just starting to get into couscous before I discovered primal. It is so quick and easy and takes on whatever flavor.
              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

They are both gluten free but are a grain and a seed. Not primal but like rice are probably OK.

What are you doing that you are not getting enough carbs from veg and fruit if I may ask.
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

Comment

As has been mentioned couscous is made of wheat (in ancient times it was made from millet) so it contains gluten. There are some new gluten free couscous options on the market at health food stores. Couscous is among the healthiest grain-based products. It has a glycemic load per gram 25% below that of pasta. It has a superior vitamin profile to pasta, containing twice as much riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, and folate, and containing four times as much thiamine and pantothenic acid. In terms of protein, couscous has 3.6 g for every 100 calories, equivalent to pasta, and well above the 2.6 g for every 100 calories of white rice. Furthermore, couscous contains a 1% fat-to-calorie ratio, compared to 3% for white rice, 5% for pasta, and 11.3% for rice pilaf. However it is definitely not considered Paleo, but if your following a primal 80/20 plan it might be one of the healthier cheat food choices.
                  Last edited by canuck416; 08-14-2012, 02:58 PM.
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

coucous is crap. Don't eat it.
                    ----------------------------------------
                    F, 48, 5'10"
                    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Couscous = The Devil's Grits
                      5' 9" 47 YO F
                      PB start June 2, 2012
                      Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                      Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

Well, millet is really your poor man's quinoa. While some ascribe the health of Chinese to rice, my money is on the millet, as it is a traditional Chinese crop. It is easy to get it organic for a very low price, because it grows well in a variety of conditions. Buckwheat is not a cereal grass, but that's quibbling. IIRC you need to be cautious with buckwheat because it is a strong allergen in some people (very small group).

If you do not react adversely to wheat gluten, I would suggest bulgur wheat as opposite to couscous because it is actually whole grain and do not induce appetite the way the processed pastas and breads do. I do not know how processed couscous is compared to pastas, but I know that burgulr tastes (for me) much better than coucous. However, I grew up on buckwheat and millet, and love nutty tasting cereals far more than the bland rolled oats, white rice and pastas. I am one of those insane people who like brown rice more than white.

If you wish to taste buckwheat roasting it before cooking really enhances the flavor. First time I cooked commercially available buckwheat here I got a mess on my hands because it was not pre-roasted the way it is at home (and it looked greener!)

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                          Well, millet is really your poor man's quinoa. While some ascribe the health of Chinese to rice.....
                          I ascribe it to pork, fat, seefood, vegetables....and in spite of millet/rice rather than do to it

But seriously OP you should check out some Weston Price stuff for fermenting grains and traditional preparations if you want to derive all the nutrients you can without as much negative health effect.

Comment

Let's agree to disagree. With the limited food supplies, grain plays important role in providing proteins and nutrients, and where meat was uncontaminated and fresh, predominantly meat eating civilizations did just as well as the civilizations that used copious amounts of whole grains in addition to meats, vegetables, offal and pulses. Oh, and hard work.

Comment

I used to make a tasty breakfast using soaked/sprouted buckwheat groats before PB WOE. It had the groats, soaked figs, an apple, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little water or apple juice. I usually blended it all together and heated it up for a nice hot 'cereal' in the morning. I guess you could say it was high carb/high sugar. Kind of a once in a great while thing to eat at that time.
                              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Working...
                              X