No announcement yet.

Gaining weight on restrictive diet vs. eating in moderation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not "everyone," and I don't confirm that it is simply a matter of calories in and calories out. You can check other threads to see that there are many on both sides of that question.

Obviously if what you are doing is not working for you, you need to make adjustments.
    Try what some of the other posters have suggested for a few weeks, and see if that doesn't help:
    Do less cardio.
    Don't eat any processed food, No added sugar, No legumes (hummus), No crackers (bread etc.).
    Add more fat.

If you want to adapt what is discussed in The Primal Blueprint to "eating in moderation" (what does that mean anyway? Eat sugar in moderation? eat crackers with hummus in moderation?) - where you pick and choose what advice to follow (i.e. what to eat and what not to eat, how much to exercise, how much not to exercise), then I don't think you can expect the results that others might experience who do follow the recommendations.

That's my two cents.

As an example - me - I eat about 50 to 60 % of my calories from quality fats, about 80 to 100 grams of protein per day, sometimes I add cheese to an omelete or beef burger, and the rest from vegies like tomato, salad greens, asparagus, spinach and stuff like that with the odd piece of fruit or berries, some dk chocolate once or twice a week and a glass or two of red wine per week. I do minimal exercise and I lose weight.
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

giggle
      Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
      Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
      Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Really, eating MORE promotes weight loss? Seems
        So hard to believe, think about when people starve themselves they don't get fat, they lose all muscle mass etc. obviously that is an extreme case but just to back my point a little.

I love running actually and don't do it because I need to lose weight. It's an activity that I enjoy and love to challenge myself in that respect. I'm sure there are others on this site that are runners following a paleo approach.

Comment

No, that would elevate cortisol, leading to, on average, ten pounds of weight gain. Running is inflammatory, unnecessary and time-consuming. Too much stress. For me, anyway.

I eat about 3000 calories a day and easily lose weight when I want to, by cutting out most carbs for a few days. Not by running, hitting myself in face with a stick, or eating crackers, in order of preposterous-ness.
          Last edited by Knifegill; 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

people will get cross if you keep saying "paleo" - sorry, just saying. It's not the same. Its quite different in fact.

I'm not sure what you want us to say?? "You are an anomaly". "The "rules" don't apply to you".. I don't know. I feel your anger and frustration, but you aren't primal per se and so .... I'm not sure how to help.

Maybe TRY following what people say on here, even if its counter-intuitive, for several (as in quite a lot of) weeks and see??? Go to the books even and copy some recommended meals?? Take a leap of faith?? Then if it really "doesn't work", you can return to what you like doing, lose the weight, be happy and write us all off as nutters??

BTW, I run, I love it. I don't run a 10k every day of the year any more like I used to, but I do a couple of long runs a week and run sprints maybe one other. No problem there from my perspective. BUT its not about calories used, I just .... like it, it makes me as happy as playing ultimate frisbee or something for someone else.

Comment

Does elliptical count as chronic cardio or walking a million miles a day?

Comment

I recognize your name and see you've made similar threads in the past. Is this like your 3rd time doing paleo/primal?

You were at 5'6 105 lbs when you posted last year, which I think is an important bit of information for people here. That seems severely underweight so the weight gain's not necessarily a bad thing in your case.

Honestly, I'd get rid of stuff like the almond butter and gluten-free stuff and flax seed oil (why are you using that? If for the O3 it's the least useful form of it). It's just the wrong mentality. Go back to the basics. Some meat and vegetables. That's it! None of this processed substitute stuff. It's like those vegans who still keep eating all those fake meats.
                Last edited by Dracil; 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracil View Post
                  I recognize your name and see you've made similar threads in the past. Is this like your 3rd time doing paleo/primal?

You were at 5'6 105 lbs when you posted last year, which I think is an important bit of information for people here. That seems severely underweight so the weight gain's not necessarily a bad thing in your case.

Honestly, I'd get rid of stuff like the almond butter and gluten-free stuff and flax seed oil (why are you using that? If for the O3 it's the least useful form of it). It's just the wrong mentality. Go back to the basics. Some meat and vegetables. That's it! None of this processed substitute stuff. It's like those vegans who still keep eating all those fake meats.
                  Yeah, I am not 105 anymore. I think as I was gaining I was afraid to gain, but my body needed it. Now I just am talking a few pounds here.

THanks for your help, I apologize that I keep going back and forth, its hard not to be swayed by the media and their influence on people's understanding of nutrition. I will give this a shot and listen to all of your advice. I think I need to relax a bit on everything, focus on good nutrition (i apparently NEED the protein desperately) and tweak things as I go. I come here for the support and for the personal wisdom on nutrition/exercise, sorry if I keep asking the same questions. I want it to click for me and I guess I just want more and more stories/personal experiences on why this works.

Comment

I've never found this restrictive. It's the way I would have eaten if my parents hadn't intervened, but they were being given bad advice. Later in life I was given bad advice (by the "experts"). I don't obsess over every gram of food I eat. If I think some of my choices for the day are going to put me in a carb zone I don't like, I double check with a tracker, and make changes. I'm even getting less restrictive on calorie counting, though I do keep track, but I've been doing that for years, so I'm no more or less neurotic than I ever was.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. It is what works for me (and apparently some others).
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieLover View Post
                      Yeah, I am not 105 anymore. I think as I was gaining I was afraid to gain, but my body needed it. Now I just am talking a few pounds here.

THanks for your help, I apologize that I keep going back and forth, its hard not to be swayed by the media and their influence on people's understanding of nutrition. I will give this a shot and listen to all of your advice. I think I need to relax a bit on everything, focus on good nutrition (i apparently NEED the protein desperately) and tweak things as I go. I come here for the support and for the personal wisdom on nutrition/exercise, sorry if I keep asking the same questions. I want it to click for me and I guess I just want more and more stories/personal experiences on why this works.
                      From what you posted re: food intake, it didn't look like you were eating much protein.

Comment

i think you have deeper eating and emotional problems that need addressing, beyond freaking out over a few pounds...maybe address the disordered eating and get off online dieting forums
                        Get on my Level
                        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                          i think you have deeper eating and emotional problems that need addressing, beyond freaking out over a few pounds...maybe address the disordered eating and get off online dieting forums
                          Nope, no eating disorder here thanks though. If you scroll trough these forums plenty of people are struggling with understand this concept and how the body responds. I am one of those and I am fascinated by science and how the body works. I'd like to have a solid grasp on what works and doesn't work , why the body gains weight on more exercise, why cutting out carbs helps you lose/maintain weight. That's all, I am a curious and health conscious individual.

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieLover View Post
                            I'd like to have a solid grasp on what works and doesn't work , why the body gains weight on more exercise, why cutting out carbs helps you lose/maintain weight. That's all, I am a curious and health conscious individual.
                            Oooer, I'm officially "lost" now. So, this is academic, nothing to do with you wanting to lose weight, nothing to do with how you personally exercise?? I'm curious too, but I'm not trying any number of other ways of eating that exist. Especially not trying things that "don't work" for me. Are you academically trying to disprove something?? Honestly, I am genuinely getting very confused.

As far as I know there is no one, neat answer to any of your questions (what happens to me won't necessarily happen to you or anyone else - on ANY WOE) but there's LOTS of anecdotal and more thoroughly researched material all over the forums for you to peruse.

"Works" and "doesn't work" - hell those are big labels to attach to anything with a complex organism like a human being involved.

Maybe this is a thread I need to step away from. NOT inteersted in the "heated personal debate" thing, not sure how to be helpful - but good luck!!!!

Comment

Body gains weight not on more exercise, but on more time spend on the exercise that your body became very efficient at, and where you reached your athletic ceiling. You run 5 miles a day; every week you spend less calories running the same 5 miles. So you bump it up a little and run 15 min more. Your body doesn't really care that much, that increase is << than the calories you consume. I really do not think anyone can estimate calories burned accurately. EVAR.

If you are carb-sensitive, like most people, when you do running your body burns carb, and go into panic mode. It pushes you to eat and over-eat carb - and you gain simply because you load up on sugar and wheat and god knows what else. Hence fat runners eating muffins and the whole bunch of disappointed ladies running at the heat of the day by the busy road who ain't turning into gazelles. Haven't you ever seen them, the determination 'to lose weight' written over their faces? They normally fail. The gazelles who jogg by effortlessly, chatting and waltzing look like a different breed...because they are.

Finally, lots of people are unlucky, and have appetite going up with exercise. Unsurprisingly, this group often gains weight when starts an exercise program. We only spend tiny amount of time we are designed to spend moving per day (6-10 hours), and our appetites are unchanged and increased. On the balance, even if we exercise "more", it is a tiny increment to the hunger increase.

Running as an exercise works only for the exomorphic girls in the long run (pardon the pun). But if you are 105 lbs, you amight be one of them...
                              Last edited by Leida; 08-16-2012, 08:53 AM.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Agree with Malpaz and Denise..... and what does wanting it to "click" mean? The science is there of course but scientific results in not going to translate in real life to every single person. most people here share what works for them and what doesn't. You cannot know what works for you without experimentation. If you have issues with food and try every "diet" possible no one is going to waste time trying to make it click for you. People advice, u take or u don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X