No announcement yet.

Gaining Weight on Primal---HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Serenity, It sounds like you are figuring things out. Experiment and jot down your findings. Alcohol is a biggie for me, and once I start I have to have two....three....
    Sometimes I juice a lemon into a wine glass with ice and water. It feels like I am one of the crowd, sipping away on my "fake wine", but its not doing any harm to my weight loss efforts.
    Just a thought
    keep at it !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
      if weight loss is your primary objective you need to be eating clean, not just for one or two days in a row. for realz. no wine, no beer, no booze, no sketchy sauces from thai restaurants. asian food is a landmine of sugar and starch in the sauces. no injera. what was in the bratwurst?

i think your food choices look good and that it's the off-plan stuff that is derailing your progress. if i have wine, i blip up. even though i order carefully at our viet-thai place, the sodium makes me blip up. same with having soy with sashimi. but i know that's just water weight, just like when i am expecting and in tom.

commit. it works.
      ^
      This. Between eating out and the wine, you're probably getting a lot more sugar (and wheat - soy's got wheat) than you think.
      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
        ^
        This. Between eating out and the wine, you're probably getting a lot more sugar (and wheat - soy's got wheat) than you think.
        Double agree.

And the IFing probably isn't doing you any favors. There's a difference between skipping meals because you're simply not hungry, and forcing yourself to fast. Many people find themselves naturally fasting, on occasion, because their energy requirements are fulfilled even without food. It seems that IF just isn't for everyone.
        “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

1. No matter what diet you're on, calories always count. So the only way you will lose weight is by finding a way to get the calories down. Reducing carbs is one way to drop the calories. But another way is with fat. Just remember, low carbs shouldn't be a free pass to eat all the fat you want. There should be plenty of fat in the meat that you eat, so there should be no need to add fat in your diet from extra sources. So eat leaner cuts if possible when aiming to reduce calories. And eliminate extra oils such as coconut oil and cheese.

2. Fasting works wonders. I don't think there should ever be a need for someone who isn't obese to go on a long fast. Instead I prefer to extend the fast throughout the morning every day. So eat lunch and dinner, but not breakfast.

3. Most importantly, you have to keep track of where you're at. Weigh yourself regularly. And control your binges and cuts accordingly. Sometimes you will have days where you feel you can get away with eating what ever you want. When its time, splurge and eat what you want. But again, keep track of where you are. If you see the numbers on the scale moving up, cut the calories for a few days BEFORE its too late.

4. Concerning the long term, you probably won't be able to continue to cut straight until you reach your ultimate goal. At least that has been my experience. Instead just maintain weight most of the time. And then occasionally if you feel the motivation, go strict for several weeks until you drop several lbs. Do that until you get to your ideal weight. Then continue to maintain. Again, just like before, if you see yourself slipping and gaining again, fix it.

Comment

eat less

Comment

Originally posted by lardomuncher View Post
              eat less
              Wow... awesome advice

And back to the issue at hand... my issue is that you mention the "D" word a bit much. I don't think of Primal as a diet (although technically any way you eat is a diet ) more as a way of life. You seem to me a bit too much attached to your carbs, and the fact that you fast and then have an urge for a carb binge seems problematic.

Personally, I'd dump the IF, space your meals evenly throughout the day, and keep your carbs relatively low. Eat plenty of veggies, and some fruits but avoid high carb root vegetables and all grains (at least while you're trying to lose). I think that once you get your weight under control, you may be able to better handle some extra carbs (in the maintenance zone) while you're involved in all that athletic activity, but at the moment you're probably hindering your efforts by eating too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                Wow... awesome advice

And back to the issue at hand... my issue is that you mention the "D" word a bit much. I don't think of Primal as a diet (although technically any way you eat is a diet ) more as a way of life. You seem to me a bit too much attached to your carbs, and the fact that you fast and then have an urge for a carb binge seems problematic.

Personally, I'd dump the IF, space your meals evenly throughout the day, and keep your carbs relatively low. Eat plenty of veggies, and some fruits but avoid high carb root vegetables and all grains (at least while you're trying to lose). I think that once you get your weight under control, you may be able to better handle some extra carbs (in the maintenance zone) while you're involved in all that athletic activity, but at the moment you're probably hindering your efforts by eating too many.
                exactly what I said - "eat less"

Comment

Working...
                X