Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't stay strict Primal for more than 2 weeks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barefoot Gentile: Primal isn't confusing. Lots of meat, veggies, and fat. And if fruit doesn't affect you, then you can eat it. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who sometimes get massive sugar cravings just by taking a bite out of an apple... I also happen to LOVE fruit. Horrible combination

Msilver: Unfortunately, I think fruit might stall my weight loss. You made a pretty good suggestion with the berries and coconut flakes. Ill definitely try that!

Comment

Lawyerchick12: yes, fruit is definitely primal! however, for weight loss purposes I'm assuming it should be limited? If I am wrong, then correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
        Again, I repeat fruit IS VERY MUCH PRIMAL. PRIMAL IS NOT LOW CARB. Fruits are as natural and primal as it gets and it is definitely something my ancestors, especially MINE who lived in the tropics and african continent ate much off. AGAIN I REPEAT, FRUIT IS PRIMAL.

<<snip

But by all means, if fruits do not trigger a bad insulin response, you can eat all the berries, apples etc you want. Again I repeat, FRUIT IS PRIMAL.
        fruits and berries from "back in the day" are about as similar to our modern, super-sweet, cultivated hybrids as a rock is to a raspberry. they were sour and often hard and the trees and vines fruited poorly. year-round access to fruit is a very modern innovation. there are apples and strawberries in my market everyday. is that primal?

i agree fruit is fine and primal, however eating LOTS of it isn't a great idea.

after 3 years of not eating grains, i can't even stand how sweet apples and pears taste and i used to love them.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I've never been particularly attracted to fruit~ green (unripe, not Granny Smith) apples, are good, I like a grapefruit or two in Jan./Feb. and peaches from my tree the end of May~ otherwise, the closest I get to fruit is tomato & avocado on my salad and an occasional slice of melon in the summer. I guess I'm mostly 'seasonal' in my fruit choices, and even then, a little and I'm quite satisfied. Maybe it's a genetic/tastebud thing?

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            fruits and berries from "back in the day" are about as similar to our modern, super-sweet, cultivated hybrids as a rock is to a raspberry. they were sour and often hard and the trees and vines fruited poorly. year-round access to fruit is a very modern innovation. there are apples and strawberries in my market everyday. is that primal?

i agree fruit is fine and primal, however eating LOTS of it isn't a great idea.

after 3 years of not eating grains, i can't even stand how sweet apples and pears taste and i used to love them.
            And the animals and fish that were running in the wild thousands of years ago are different from most of the same animals we eat today so what is your point?

and with all due respect where is your reference points for comparison? within a north american context, then yes, the fruits our ancestors ate has obviously evolved naturally AND mechanically. Within more rural societies this evolution is much more natural than mechanical, please, my parents, grandparents are part africans, and the farming in most west african rural societies are still not as developed and THAT is a good thing. So in that context I obviously will not unequivocally compare the berries to rocks. But lets bring it back to the north american context, I will not go that far with the comparison and it is still far more primal than eating toxic wheat and most grainy carbs anyway in the sense that they are still unprocessed.

What I am saying is, devoid of any personal physiological and/or biological reasons for not eating fruit, fruit is as primal as we can get. From a weight loss perspective, as long are you are not overdoing it on the fat and protein, you can still lose weight from eating fruits even one or two servings a day. YMMV obviously but I am healthier and more in control of my weight since I added some servings of fruits. *shrugs*

I am not trying to be rude but I am really getting sick of people confusing primal/paleo with low fat. Sure, for some people who are not as active, it might behoove them to eat really low carbs so as to speed weight loss process, if that is what they are after, no one is arguing with that, but that does NOT make fruits or sweet potatoes any less primal that a slab of fatty meat. *rant over*
            Last edited by Lawyerchick12; 08-12-2012, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Again, I repeat fruit IS VERY MUCH PRIMAL. PRIMAL IS NOT LOW CARB.
              Yes it is. You need to be low carbs in order for your body to burn fat. Thats basically the entire first part of the book.

Low carb. No grains. Thats what primal is. So many of you need to re-read the book. Eat 800g of carbs and tell me your primal. Mark says a steady supply of carbs is entirely unneccessary and counter productive to our health. He also says that 150g of of carbs a day is all you should have or need unless your a large calorie burner, aka athlete ect..

150g of carbs is pretty low.

And to the OP. if you want to stop eating fruit, then stop eating fruit. Its called willpower.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                Yes it is. You need to be low carbs in order for your body to burn fat. Thats basically the entire first part of the book.

Low carb. No grains. Thats what primal is. So many of you need to re-read the book. Eat 800g of carbs and tell me your primal. Mark says a steady supply of carbs is entirely unneccessary and counter productive to our health. He also says that 150g of of carbs a day is all you should have or need unless your a large calorie burner, aka athlete ect..

150g of carbs is pretty low.

And to the OP. if you want to stop eating fruit, then stop eating fruit. Its called willpower.
                not worth it

Comment

not worth it
                  winning

Comment

I don't have much advise to OP. I am having the same issues myself, in a major way. Except I never make it 2 weeks. 8 days is a major accomplishment for me. However, like everyone has said, I see no reason not to have some fruit. Like I find a handful of blueberries will really do wonders for me. Not so sweet that it sends me on a bender, but sweet enough to tame the sweet tooth. Also, you mention chocolate, which is a specific "sensible vice". Treat yourself to a square, or two, once or twice a week. I find it better to indulge yourself a little so you don't burn out. I'm also trying to lose weight and limiting carbs and right now I am burned out and craving sugar in a major way. In this instance it's better to have some fruit then some ice cream, ya know?
                    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
                    Pre-preg weight: 130
                    Current: 145 (eek!)
                    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
                    Started Primal in May '12.
                    My Blog
                    Join the Revolution!

Comment

I'm close in age and size to OP, so maybe my experience will be helpful. When I first started eating primally, I binged hardcore on raisins . . . entire pounds at a time multiple times a week. While spiraling from raisins to pizza is certainly not helpful, I know how much I needed that crutch at first. At this point, I very rarely eat dried fruit because I have stopped craving it, but that really took a while! Don't beat yourself up, and just focus on one thing at a time. Eating a lot of fruit is not the end of the world and honestly, trying to rush your body to where you want it to be might not make it very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                        winning
                        whatever u say lol

Comment

Maybe its time we listen to our bodies and give what its asking for? Enjoy yourself some fruit and dont let people make you feel guilty about it with their dogmatic ways.

<flame shields engaged>
                          Last edited by charliemathers; 08-12-2012, 01:15 PM.
                          Ray Peat Forum
                          "A place to discuss everything Ray Peat"

Comment

Craving *sugar* and craving *fruit* are not the same thing. Fruit is in season in the northern hemisphere. It grows on a plant. You eat it in its natural state. It's primal. Refined sugar is none of those things.

Our ancestors would have eaten fruit it when they could find it, probably as much as they could find knowing they'd only be eating it for a few weeks at most, and probably would have preserved some if they knew how (sun drying?)

How do you know your body isn't asking for the nutrients in fruit, and not just the sweetness? If some vitamin-rich fruit satisfies your sweet tooth, doesn't that outweigh some extra carbs? If you're counting carbs, cut them somewhere else. Not that carbs from colorful plant sources should be feared. Eat the fruit.

Also, women are more cyclical than men. We have cravings at certain times of the month because our bodies have different needs at different times. I have a week of starchy-sweet cravings every month. It cannot be denied. My goal is to manage it and feed it wisely. The rest of the month I don't even look sideways at a cinnamon roll.
                            Sandra
                            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

whatever u say lol
                              Reccomended daily intake of carbs is 300g. Mark reccomends for the average person 150g. And less if you wanna really lose fat. Those numbers seem pretty Low when compared to 300g... Don't they?

Comment

Distraction is key for me. Do things that make you happy, socialize with the people that make you happy. You can't binge when you're engaged with other people, and even better, you won't be thinking about it in the first place.

You could also try using fruit as a condiment as part of your regular meal. Then you get an appropriate amount, and a little sweetness, but you won't be left with that sweet taste in your mouth and half a container of delicious poppable fruit in front of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X