No announcement yet.

olympian diets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought weight lifters had to be heavy. How could someone small hold up so much weight? It's like being the base of a pyramid. You want a strong, hefty base to hold up that weight.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I always thought weight lifters had to be heavy. How could someone small hold up so much weight?
      It also depends on their weight class. If someone is in the heaviest class they can eat with a lot more impunity.
      If someone is trying to not go over weight into the next class they'll need to be stricter with their diet.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_h View Post
        It also depends on their weight class. If someone is in the heaviest class they can eat with a lot more impunity.
        If someone is trying to not go over weight into the next class they'll need to be stricter with their diet.
        Yeah I use to work out with a power lifter that weighed in the 160 range (5'5" or so).. These guys are all about strength to weight ratio. You go to "Unlimited" class and lets face it.....your gonna be a lot stronger with a bunch of blubber than without. Not in terms of being to move YOUR OWN mass.....but in terms of moving other mass, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
          Yes, that person would do as well, but not better. In the case of the athletes you're talking about the gut doesn't hinder their performance, so why waste the effort and energy trying to lose it? They're not trying to look sexy, they're trying to lift as much as possible.

What really helps them is muscle, and having as much as they can. The more they eat, the easier it is to gain and maintain muscle, plus they recover faster. So I'm guessing they opt to overeat somewhat, without concerning themselves over having a gut.
          This, all of this. My partner used to joke that she was bigorexic when she competed in powerlifting the first time around, because it's all about being big and lifting large amounts of weight (even if the bodyweight to weight lifted ratio isn't awesome). She's lifting more now and is lighter, but training is her specialty* :P

*so it's possible to lift heavy things while being paleo/being smaller, but it's so much easier if you are not either of the former

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
            When I was reading the thread, I was thinking that we needed some feedback from primal athletes... hey isn't there that pro basketball player on the forums... and here you are! Has primal improved your performance? Have you been sick less often? What do your teammates think? Has anyone followed you into primal?
            Haha. I'm not the real Dirk, despite what my sig may say. I can't think of an athlete (Olympic, American football, soccer, hockey, baseball, basketball) who is truly paleo and would call his way of eating paleo.
            Yes, the real Dirk.

Comment

Maybe that's because what we're trying to achieve with the Primal diet and lifestyle is a "generalist" type of fitness and wellness, not the highly "specialized" fitness of an elite level athlete. We are going for healthy and a "good at everything" kind of physicality, where the Olympians and other elite/professional athletes are usually honing skills in one very limited area.

I expect that most athletes who care about diet as a component of training eat more "clean" than the traditional SAD, whether that includes non-Primal stuff or not.

Comment

Quite an interesting article in today's Daily Mail (rather an unreliable UK tabloid newspaper) about some of the UK athletes' training diets. It's certainly not Primal, but better than a lot out there!

Four meals a day, no carbohydrates and lots of cottage cheese: How to eat like an Olympian | Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by oliviascotland View Post
                  Quite an interesting article in today's Daily Mail (rather an unreliable UK tabloid newspaper) about some of the UK athletes' training diets. It's certainly not Primal, but better than a lot out there!

Four meals a day, no carbohydrates and lots of cottage cheese: How to eat like an Olympian | Mail Online
                  Interesting article...looks pretty primal (prob not paleo) to me except for the cheese issue for some. I like how they recommend veg consumption closer to Canadian guidelines and almost double that paltry 5 a day.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                  X