No announcement yet.

Sticky rice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason the rice is sticky is because it is higher in gluten than other rices...something to think about.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
      The reason the rice is sticky is because it is higher in gluten than other rices...something to think about.
      Sticky rice does not contain gluten at all... glutenin or gliadin... and is a "gluten free" safe starch just like regular rice.

The "glutinous" part of the moniker refers to like glue... not gluten as in wheat. This stickyness is caused by low amylose and high amylopectin, which is how it differs from other types of rice.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
        Sticky rice does not contain gluten at all... glutenin or gliadin... and is a "gluten free" safe starch just like regular rice.

The "glutinous" part of the moniker refers to like glue... not gluten as in wheat. This stickyness is caused by low amylose and high amylopectin, which is how it differs from other types of rice.
        um, . . . .... .. that

Comment

Sticky and jasmine rice are the only two I would ever purposefully spend money on for groceries. Both are delicious, and I would never eat anything else. I also like pearl rice, which is also expensive. I'm so spoiled as an Asian.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

It's really nice as a sweet cooked in coconut milk and coconut sugar. It's kind of hard to get the right consistency though.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Sticky and jasmine rice are the only two I would ever purposefully spend money on for groceries. Both are delicious, and I would never eat anything else. I also like pearl rice, which is also expensive. I'm so spoiled as an Asian.
              True basmati rice is probably the best rice in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                It's really nice as a sweet cooked in coconut milk and coconut sugar. It's kind of hard to get the right consistency though.
                I think they cook the rice first and then pour the slop over it....

You can definitely choose your consistency of sticky rice that way, by steaming it longer or a shorter amount
                of time.

Sakura, what is this pearl rice you speak of?

What is its consistency and taste?

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                  Well, no need to worry, just dig in and start saving, cuz come Spring,
                  the Mormons are moving out and THEIR house will be for sale.

The only two story on the court - 4 bedrooms - and the master suite is the ONLY thing
                  upstairs.

So you can ditch all the kids that YOU PERSONALLY are going to have, downstairs.

Thank goodness you have ME to figure out your life for you. PHEW!
                  You'll have to convince wifey to move to NORCal, as opposed to SoCal
                  A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

What is its consistency and taste?
                    It's kind of hard and lumpy but glutinous at the same time, kind of like a fusion between sticky rice and barley? Although I've only had barley in soup once. But that time, it was kind of chewy and had texture versus feeling like I was chomping through mush. You can find it at the Asian grocery store

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                      You'll have to convince wifey to move to NORCal, as opposed to SoCal
                      I'd be in SoCal myself if there were any JOBS.

So if you want to eat, living on my court and ONLY my court is the answer. Start packing.

Thanks Sakura! Sounds VERY interesting. I'll have to give it a go when rice and I can have
                      a normal relationship again.

Comment

Let me know how you like it!

Comment

It is lovely, but high on the glycemic index. Basmati is a lot lower. Solution
                          : just overcook basmati instead

Comment

Originally posted by wac View Post
                            It is lovely, but high on the glycemic index. Basmati is a lot lower. Solution
                            : just overcook basmati instead
                            You're getting "mushy rice" mixed up with "sticky rice".

Make yourself some and know the difference.

Comment

You're getting "mushy rice" mixed up with "sticky rice".

Make yourself some and know the difference.
                              You're getting mixed up between 'joke' and 'not joke'

Comment

If sticky rice takes forever to digest, I'mma git me some.

I can't seem to tolerate eating large meals of meat, fat and veg anymore

MUST EAT SMALLER MEALS

*sobs*
                                A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Working...
                                X