Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8/16 fasting - are there researched health benefits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/16 fasting - are there researched health benefits?

Hi - I'm thinking about starting to fast for the health and longevity benefits and was reading on this website the 8/16 or leangains fasting option. Based on what I'd read and watched (Horizon, documentary) I'd assumed i would need to be fasting for a full 24 hours so 8/16 does seems much more achievable + I do a lot of exercise so the option of maintaining/gaining muscle mass is appealing. But here's the question - I can't find any research that implies doing the 8/16 fasting offers any health benefits, everything I've read and watched has talked about the benefits of full day fasting. Is anyone aware of research/testing that suggests there are health benefits and not just fat burning benefits?

Burning more fat would be nice but I'm already pretty lean with all the exercise I do, so living longer and being healthier are more appealing right now. The Horizon documentary I watched spoke about a 2/5 - 2 days fasting and 5 days eating and the 2 days fasting allowed you 600 calories, so unless I can find research that implies 8/16 has health benefits - this was the one I was most likely to try but I reckon it will be tough

Many thanks, Richard

Try starting with this thread:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html,

then there is part 2 & 3 to read,
    There is a lot of information and many linked studies you can get into.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Hi - thanks for the reply. I finally read the threads you mentioned but there's no reference to studies/research or health benefits from 8/16 fasting. The main reference and studies were related to fasting in Ramadan and 4/20 fasting. So it could be you're breaking fast to early when practising 8/16 fasting to receive heath benefit - if anyone's aware of research that suggests otherwise - please let me know.

Many thanks, Richard

Comment

Working...
      X