No announcement yet.

Paleo Fail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with you ForensicArtist. I'm pretty much lacto ovo mostly veg and new to this. BUT....I love bacon and am eating sliced ham, turkey etc. I know not the best as they are all cured but its something. Haven't had beef in years. So I'm out with family and decide to try a burger in lettuce not a bun. Honestly it tasted like shoe leather. So after I asked them if that was a good burger and they all thought so So sadly I will stick to my cheese and eggs and bacon!!

I like the suggestion about the bone broths. I think I could benefit from them. And I agree with you that ditching the processed foods and grains is probably the best health thing we can do anyway. The rest of it is gravy

Comment

Originally posted by ForensicArtist View Post
      You'd have to get it away from him first! He had avocado on bacon last night for dinner!
      Yum. Bacon and guacamole is one of my favorite things on the planet. Good for you for cutting down on the grains. It's very easy to get into a comfort zone with those regardless of the rest of your lifestyle.

Also, full fat plain greek yogurt with honey and cinnamon and walnuts is DELISH! I also will take the same plain yogurt and mix in some Simply Fruit preserves which is just the fruit and fruit pectin and no other sugars and some walnuts for a change of pace. Of course, the yogurt on berries is also ridiculously good.

I had to come back and throw that in there.
      Last edited by RobinNM; 08-09-2012, 07:00 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

Comment

I say good for you... there is value in knowing what you really can or cannot deal with eating. And as long as you've learned something, then it's absolutely not a fail, it's just another step on the right path for you. :-)

Comment

Gidday,

How do you feel about eggs? It is not impossible to be a healthy vegetarian, you just need to base your meals on non-meat animal products. If I were a vegetarian (and that's a big if), my meals would definitely be based around eggs. Eggs contain everything a chicken needs to develop, so they are the vegetarian equivalent of a steak. Eggs can be used in so many different ways, you just need to use your imagination. I have been experimenting with different techniques for making bread replacements with eggs. I found that the best technique is simply whipping the whites until they are stiff, and then stirring in the yolks until it is a consistent colour, then baking it in the shape you want. My personal favourite is chicken pizza with an egg base (could easily be a veggie pizza). The base tastes and feels just like a normal pizza base, it's just a lot more filling. Six eggs makes an average-sized pizza base, the mixture just needs to be put on a greased try (two inches thick), and baked at a low temperature until it is firm. It also works for hamburger buns. For all of you non-vegetarians, add some salt and you have perfect batter for deep frying your meats.

Don't give up, vegetarianism doesn't mean you can't be healthy.

Good luck!

Comment

So you eat eggs and dairy and nuts? Then I don't see why you HAVE to eat meat. Especially if you don't need a lof calories, because in that case it might get hard without meat.
            well then

Comment

Thanks everyone, glad to know I haven't been booted off the island!

I don't doubt that part of it psychological...I work with skulls, and they will often have bits of flesh still attached, which looks exactly like cooked, dried-out chicken. Many will still have the brain rolling around inside, although it's dried out and the size of a baseball. You don't want me to tell you what a burnt body looks like!

The fact that I have almost entirely stopped eating grains is HUGE for me. My awesome husband, and this forum, has changed the way I eat for the better. I won't be chowing down on a steak any time soon, but I've make good changes nonetheless.

PS: I suppose I could try bone broth, but my husband would have to make it for me!
              Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

I think it's really cool that you gave "pure" primal a try and now have been able to find your own nutritional path! I am also happy that so many here are still supportive of you!

Your user name and reference to skulls makes me ask... What do you do? Forensic artist sounds fascinating!

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                  Would you be opposed to keeping bone stocks in your diet? I think that could add a lot of additional nutrition without having to actually eat meat. You could make a very large batch at one time, freeze it, and just included it in soups, veggie preps, etc.
                  This sounds like a smart suggestion to me.

I also think you might wake up craving a massive T-bone steak one day. Until that happens, eat the most healthful foods you can tolerate, which it sounds like you are. Lots of people who eat meat on here eat less healthful diets than what you described.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Lots of great support and advise on this thread! Thanks for keeping it positive and not bashing Forensic just because she doesn't care for meat. I may even give lacto-ovo-pescatarian a go for a couple weeks, after my Whole30.

Love my Primal Tribe!!!
                    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

I personally cannot stand chicken breast or turkey. Don't care how primal they may be. So find what works. I think it rocks that you are working on being and staying healthier. That's all that matters.
                      The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
                        Thanks for keeping it positive and not bashing Forensic just because she doesn't care for meat.
                        Yeah, it's not like she's eating Atkins bars, "Paleo" muffins, and Quinoa with lean chicken breast. She's eating the most nutritious foods she finds palatable. Not much to fault her for. And believe me, we try
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Good on you for trying,I can totally understand why people are vegetarians. Put it this way if I had to kill the animal personally I would definitely be vegetarian. though I understand it is more you don't like the taste.
                          There are quite a few paleo vegetarian sites with some lovely recipes worth looking at via google.
                          Macadamia nuts, eggs etc are good to eat
                          Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
                            … Thanks for keeping it positive and not bashing Forensic just because she doesn't care for meat….
                            Yes, THANK YOU to everybody who offered me advice in my beginning Paleo quest, and to everyone that has responded with such positive comments. I really do appreciate the time it took to read and respond

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                            I think it's really cool that you gave "pure" primal a try and now have been able to find your own nutritional path! I am also happy that so many here are still supportive of you!

Your user name and reference to skulls makes me ask... What do you do? Forensic artist sounds fascinating!
                            You know that show “Bones”? Well, it’s sort of what I do, but without the high heels and guns!

Mostly, I sculpt faces onto unidentified skulls. I also do lots of fugitive age progressions, post-mortem retouches from morgue photos, and a few composite drawings of suspects here and there. I totally and completely am in love with my job! I love it so much I made a website!
                            Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Not trying to swing you from your path, I think it's great you have tried Paleo and found a good diet balance for yourself.
                              But I have to ask,
                              There isn't some bizzare connection that you are making between the meat and bones on your plate and the bones on your desk at work?

Our tastes do gradually change with diet, before I started this I had a powerful sweet tooth, no prob's downing a good size cake with icecream or a full block of chocolate etc. so I thought this would be one of the hurdles, suprisingly my tastes changed and I don't have the urge, I can watch while others down the cake with no residual feelings of deprivation.

Anyway, don't know if you will ever get a taste for juicy bacon, but either way good luck with your journey.
                              "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Awesome job, FA, must be rewarding.

I've always had a conflict with enjoying juicy steaks and my deep love of cows and their big beautiful faces.
                                I told my mom when I was about 10 that I was very angry at her for making me like anything made with beef.
                                She said, sorry, I was just trying to keep you healthy so you'd live.

Comment

Working...
                                X