Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Objective measures of fat burning

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what objective measurements would indicate if you are a fat burning beast and are effectively using fat as a fuel source?

Thanks for any help

When you are purely burning fat your RQ is 0.70 (this is ketosis). When you are purely burning carbs your RQ is 1.00.

From here.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

A subjective objective measure is when you can fast comfortably without hunger and exercise during the fast without feeling weak, shaky or tired.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Another (slower) objective measure is to determine your bodyfat %. When it goes down, you are burning fat...
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

have you been eating most of your calories as fat? are you still alive? you're a fat burning beast.

Comment

A subjective objective measure is when you can fast comfortably

Comment

Not having crazy cravings or desperate need to eat.

Comment

I agree with the fasting test.

Whenever I fast, I'll get hungry mid way, and when the hunger fades after 10 mins, I know my body just used fat for fuel.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing.
                  I've been doing 20-24hr fasts (4hr eating window) daily for the last month and low to moderate carbs, doing daily workout regime 6-8 hours before breaking fast and preparing to go the whole hog into a weekly 40hr fasting regimen, no drama with cravings or hunger, weakness, etc. so according to above criteria I must be into fat burning.
                  Have lost about 5kg(8-10lb) over the last 3 months since going primal.
                  "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Working...
                  X