Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total Cholesterol spike within 2 months of going Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Cholesterol spike within 2 months of going Primal?

Can anyone share their experience with cholesterol spikes and primal lifestyle, so I can stay on the program with impunity? Thanks from a Grok wannabe in Delray Beach.

Thankfully, yes. My HDL went from 60 to 94 in a few months. I'm basically bulletproof now.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      Thankfully, yes. My HDL went from 60 to 94 in a few months. I'm basically bulletproof now.

Comment

I'm not even going to dignify that weird make-up by clicking on the video.

I forgot, the OP asked about total cholesterol! It's around 260, I think...
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm not even going to dignify that weird make-up by clicking on the video.

I forgot, the OP asked about total cholesterol! It's around 260, I think...
          It's a good song, give it a shot.

I'll tell you what, Knifegill, I'll never know my cholesterol. I think it's a silly thing to keep track of. Name one good reason why it would be useful to know these silly numbers.

Comment

They're still a biomarker, even if they aren't as useful as we thought they were. And if they get too high, there are real correlations with problems.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Here were my latest numbers:

Total Cholesterol: 317
              HDL: 94
              LDL (Friedewald Equation): 214
              LDL (Iranian Equation): 166
              Trigs: 43

I had a twinge of worry when I got my numbers back in May. Then I learned a few things. I fasted for 23 hrs prior to my blood test. This was a mistake for anyone on a low carb diet. I read that if you are fasting your body is utilizing body fat for fuel which moves more cholesterol into your blood stream. Next time I will only fast for 6 hrs prior to the blood test. Also, I didn’t do any form of exercise prior to my appointment. I also read that a 20-30 min walk will cause your body to use the cholesterol in your blood stream and less will show up on the test.

But ultimately I’m not worried. My ratios look like this:

Total/HDL: 3.37 (5 or below = Ideal)
              Trig/HDL: .46 (2 or below = Ideal)
              LDL/HDL (Friedewald): 2.28 (4.3 or below = Ideal)
              LDL/HDL (Iranian): 1.76 ( 4.3 or below = Ideal)

Also my blood sugar is below 100 and my blood pressure is 112/76. I feel great; which is an even stronger indication that I am very healthy.
              "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Comment

My total Cholesterol spiked from 121 to 135 after being primal for over a year. The HDL went up 20 to like 40 something and the LDL went down to the 70s if I remember right. Of course mine is apparently inhumanly low but it did go up.
                Went Primal January 24, 2011
                Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
                Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
                According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day
                sigpic

Comment

They're still a biomarker, even if they aren't as useful as we thought they were. And if they get too high, there are real correlations with problems.
                  My thinking is that, if your cholesterol will become so high that it is in some problem zone, you will already be feeling shitty; and feeling shitty is your body telling you to lift weights and eat more meat and vegetables.

Biomarkers, whatever, I see it as needlessly complicating your life.

Comment

Your ratios matter more than the absolute values (particularly your Trig/HDL ratio).

My TC went from 235 to 330. It alarmed my doctor, who gave me the CW spiel.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Just received my blood work back after two months primal. Numbers are as follows:

Preprimal Primal
                      Total Chol. 259. 229
                      Triglycerides. 477. 110
                      HDL. 33. 46
                      LDL. ? 161
                      A1c. 7.1. 6.1
                      Weight. 253lbs. 232
                      Blood Press. 155/90. 128/80 no lisinopril
                      All cholesterol ratios look good and only getting better ......

I'm pretty pumped about the results and only after 2 months and NO more jogging thank Christ. I was also on lisinopril for blood pressure and metformin for type 2. Fasting glucose off meds 170.... On metformin 135..... Primal no meds down to 95 last Friday. A1c of 6.1 = 128 three month average......remember only primal for two months. Here's to enjoying the ride. Good luck and stay the course!

Comment

As others said, it's all ratios. There's a great "cholesterol primer" somewhere on here that breaks down the ratios very well.

On the SAD, I typically was around total 180 every time I donated blood (they test cholesterol and send you the results). After 3 months primal, I was 252 total, and was very shocked. But then I read all the info on this site and elsewhere and that calmed my worries. Another good point made is that as we are losing fat, there's a ton of cholesterol released into our blood streams.

Comment

Working...
                        X