Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really about low carb or calories in/out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nady View Post
    How about if you post a sample menu so we can see exactly what foods you're planning to eat? What will be your protein sources, carb & fat amounts~ that sort of thing. Easier to give guidence if we have more info.
    breakfast: protein smoothie berries, almond milk and protein powder. Usually have some nuts on the side and coconut oil drizzled
    lunch- turkey, avocado maybe a tomato salad, nuts on the side maybe dark chocolate
    dinner- rotisserie chicken, some greens
    after dinner- i usually like to have flax crackers with almond butter, maybe a handful of nuts and some dark chocolate

I am worried about my nut intake, any ideas for other snacks? Is this all too high fat?

Comment

I'd cut out all of the nuts, almond milk and protein power.

Now there's room for all the veggies in the world (and a few eggs....)

When I first went primal I was worried about snacking, and hit up the nuts a lot. It's something a lot of new converts do. But as you increase your fat levels high enough (having a hot meal dripping in fat for breakfast did the trick for me) then I was gradually able to wean myself off the snacks completely.

I suspect that you have a lot of learned behaviours about eating frequency and snacking, and need to take time to relearn when your body is hungry and how often you need to eat.
      Last edited by magicmerl; 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieLover View Post
        I feel like we are all getting a little off topic here, i mean if i am switching from a lower calorie diet, even if it is vegetable centric to mostly protein and fat, even if it is more calories can i lose weight because it is more "fat burning" as some people claim??

I don't seem to have a final answer on all of this. thanks!
        If you're coming from a low protein diet it is possible you could get away with a few more calories now you're eating more protein. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11838888

Just monitor yourself and don't go crazy with the fat, if you gain a bit of fat just cut back on the nuts and nut butters.
        Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks that makes a lot of sense, i will try adding more fat into other meals and see how that goes. You don't think I will be gaining weight on this type of diet coming from a more veggie based/lower cal diet?

Comment

breakfast: protein smoothie berries, almond milk and protein powder. Usually have some nuts on the side and coconut oil drizzled
            lunch- turkey, avocado maybe a tomato salad, nuts on the side maybe dark chocolate
            dinner- rotisserie chicken, some greens
            after dinner- i usually like to have flax crackers with almond butter, maybe a handful of nuts and some dark chocolate

I am worried about my nut intake, any ideas for other snacks? Is this all too high fat?
            You're gonna get hungry with all that diet food. Ditch the protein smoothie, almond milk, nuts, turkey, chicken, flax crackers, almond butter and all that chocolate. Have some real meat, salmon and eggs and put butter on your greens. Have some sweet potatoes or other roots and tubers, too.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Just continue to eat the fruit and vegetables as well and eat until satiety. You shouldn't gain weight but if you do just cut down on the nuts.

Comment

Another vote here on the real meat...so many more nutrients in ruminants than poultry
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I really only turn to the poultry if I've gotten plenty of fat but still need more protein on the day. It's tough to get enough fat with chicken/turkey.
                  -Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                    My guess & understanding..

in the fundamental sense, assuming metabolism is perfectly fresh, healed, in balance & running pure & healthy, calories in/calories out are the only thing that matters.. My concern is, I don't know 1 person (with the exception of the immune system & digestive system of an infant) that has a metabolism that doesn't need to be healed, or consistently in the repair shop.. As you age, my guess is, it becomes impossible to run a constantly "healthy" metabolism..

The best diet is one built to sync with your particular body, genetics, & immune system, @ that particular time.. "Listen to your body".. "Understand your body & its reactions to certain foods".. No 2 bodies are the same, we are all unique snowflakes, no absolute principle applies to the same body, all the time.. & as we eat everyday, your body adapts, inflames, changes, reacts, etc. to what you've eaten from years past..

Do you have high blood pressure? Is there anything in your gene pool that exposes you to threats others may not be threatened by? How stressed do you get @ work? Do you have a sugar sensitivity? Do you a severe gluten intolerance & if you do, how many years of eating gluten did you endure before you realizing certain foods were creating leaky gut? How much alcohol are you drinking & how long have you drank? We all have damage, I don't know anyone who doesn't.. The question is, to what extent is your damage & how you can repair & "heal", with what foods.. All these questions affect the calories you ingest.. We are all damaged in some form or fashion.. Calories in / Calories out is so far down the list of things a "HEALTH" conscious body should concerned with.. Biggest concern: what type of foods work with my body, genetic, & lifestyle.. Then, we'll approach the "amounts" of those foods to consume..

My advice: Learn to LISTEN to your body.. HEAL your body first (which could take years of discipline, & clean eating for your genetic) or the fundamentals mean nothing.. I have celiac & mega sugar sensitivity.. To me, sugar & gluten are the most toxic things I could put in my body bc I react horribly to it, even when consuming some fruit.. I don't think I'm alone in this, & I probably pay more attention to how my body reacts to certain foods than most.. I know the way I'm supposed to "feel" now after I eat, so I can now begin eliminating or limiting foods that don't correspond with that feeling.. Food allergies are very common but most aren't paying attention to the little red flags.. I personally battle digesting starches well.. They give me gas, bloating, & sometimes skin reaction.. Sweet potato is totally primal.. BUT, sweet potatoes do not work for me.. Higher Fat diet calms my body, I'm now realizing this after years of experimenting.. Food allergies are very common, but many think bc someone in this forum said potatoes are a great starch & eating 2lbs of them, post workout, is a great carb refeed, so it must be good for me.. WRONG.. Try it out, your digestive system may not be healed enough to digest this correctly..

If there's anything thats constant in this life, its change.. Learn to roll with the nutritional punches.. Your body changes, it adapts, it grows, it gets sick, stressed out, it aches, it ages, & on & on.. My bodys nutrtional needs even seem to change with weather.. this is normal, & will never change.. Everything is connected, learn to feed it what it needs in different situations.. (the stoner in me is coming out

Calories in, Calories out makes sense in a fundmental manner, but the question we should be asking is, (IMO) how can I "heal" my body? what foods "work" with my body? What foods make me healthier, digest correctly, & nourish me.. Afer we figure that out, we can then begin playing with caloric #'s & let our weight shift up & down in a healthy manner.. I've seen a lot of skinny UNHEALTHY people.. I've also seen a lot of heavier, very healthy people.. Not all "healthy" foods, make every immune system "healthier"..

Become a master of your immune system.. Listen to your body, nail down the foods that sync with your digestive system, then you can play with the numbers, using those foods, to moderate the scale..
                    It is posts like these that keep me here. Hands down the best post I have ever seen on MDA!

Comment

• thats true, thanks so much for the advice. I get so caught up with what I am supposed to eat/not eat, but I know for a fact that I do really well with a lot of fats. I do HORRIBLE on low fat diets, which is why macrobiotics never worked for me or raw food diets. I came to Paleo because it makes sense to me after trying a million different ways to heal digestive problems and other health issues.

I guess part of me just worries about how my body is going to start responding to this diet, but maybe I am coming back here now because I realize my body is craving these types of foods again.

Really appreciate all of the help on this post and will continue seeking advice and other questions that I may have

Comment

• Originally posted by VeggieLover View Post
                        thats true, thanks so much for the advice. I get so caught up with what I am supposed to eat/not eat, but I know for a fact that I do really well with a lot of fats. I do HORRIBLE on low fat diets, which is why macrobiotics never worked for me or raw food diets. I came to Paleo because it makes sense to me after trying a million different ways to heal digestive problems and other health issues.
                        I like your avatar name, as I called myself a "veggie lover" for many years, & I also used to say to people, "I never met a vegetable I didn't like..." Macro in the beginning worked to do some healing as it was such a clean diet, as did raw vegan, but in the end I was suffering: too little fat, too little protein, too much grains(macro) causing me to binge on sweets & oily foods, seeking calories mostly. I was rail thin, ribs poking out. I've since known for some time that I do really really well on high fat & sometimes on high animal protein (when I crave it, I Grok all out on meat).

I guess part of me just worries about how my body is going to start responding to this diet, but maybe I am coming back here now because I realize my body is craving these types of foods again.

Really appreciate all of the help on this post and will continue seeking advice and other questions that I may have
                        Please do apply yourself fully as possible. I endorse & practice full ketosis. Paleobird informs me from her extensive,recent research that 65% fat, 25-30% protein & 10-5% carb is better than 80/10/10 as it gives you more meat on a daily basis & still keeps you in true clinical ketosis. Some/many people on MDA bash or dislike ketosis, but the literature & testimonials are strong. I am sold on it for at least a 2 week period of strict adherence, & it's working for my mom too. It's not something I'd recommend for any shorter nor longer than 2 week stretches, unless you have a neurological disease or brain injury, for which it's often medically prescribed & quite effective for...
                        Last edited by Betorq; 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM.
                        "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                        "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                        "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by VeggieLover View Post
                          thats true, thanks so much for the advice. I get so caught up with what I am supposed to eat/not eat, but I know for a fact that I do really well with a lot of fats. I do HORRIBLE on low fat diets, which is why macrobiotics never worked for me or raw food diets. I came to Paleo because it makes sense to me after trying a million different ways to heal digestive problems and other health issues.

I think you've 'got it' ~ You're going to do great!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            Did you actually read the post or did you skip the entire middle? I was on a 3,000 calorie a week caloric deficit. That's why I lost weight. There was nothing more going on. I took in a 5,000 calorie deficit over 5 days and lost fat, then would go on a 2,000 calorie caloric surplus while performing hypertrophy to put on muscle. The net result was a 3,000 calorie deficit each week over 6 weeks, resulting in a significant loss of weight.
                            Yes I did...was particularly impressed with your quote "you can only do this with a carbohydrate". Why? If a calorie is just a calorie it should not make a difference. If a calorie was just a calorie you would achieve the same goals getting your calories from ANY source, but according to you that is not the case.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

• It's all about calories, without a doubt. Low carbs just happens to be another strategy that can be implemented in order to achieve the goal of creating a calorie deficit. Personally I have found intermittent fasting to work much better for creating a calorie deficit.

I have actually heard of cases where people were able to lose weight and improve their health markers while eating junk food, because they were in a calorie deficit. It can be done. The problem however is that for someone who loves to eat, its just going to be too darn hard to restrict calories while eating junk foods that are calorie dense. The better bet is to go with foods that are highly satisfying but low in calories. That way your calories will be low without the need to feel hungry.

Comment

Working...
                              X