Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It?

Fat Bread: Third Time's The Charm. Mission Accomplished! | Free The Animal

I'm gonna give it a go this weekend. If you've tried it and have any thoughts, please share.

That looks good. I wish I had time. I will check back to see if anyone tried it.

Comment

That actually looks quite good. I may give that a try.

Comment

I've made it twice so far and it's amazing for what it's supposed to be. It (obviously) won't taste like bread and I'm not usually the one to encourage emulating neolithic foods with paleo ingredients but this worth a shot.

You can toast it pretty well too. Of course.... I don't own a toaster so I used my oven's broiler and it seemed to work fine.

Bottom line: Try it!
        Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

Comment

I get the whole "slippery slope" argument against "paleofying" bad habits etc. and it is valid for a lot of people particularly when they are just starting out on this WOE. Then there are those of us who have been doing Primal for a long time with no insane cravings to battle who just might like a piece of bread.

This one is almost all protein and fat without any of the excessive fiber content (psyllium) of some of the other allegedly "paleo" breads that have been discussed around here. And the only nuts in it are macadamias so that should keep the PUFA police happy.

I wonder if it would make good french toast.

Comment

I haven't seen coconut butter, but do have coconut oil (which is "chunky" until I melt it). Is that the same thing or do I definitely need the "butter"?

Looks great!
            -Chuck

Comment

impala, I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

I think he is referring to what is sold as "coconut manna" by some brands. Its like a ground up mix of the oil and coconut meat. Just the oil probably wouldn't work because the batter needs the meat to have something for the eggs to hold on to.

Comment

Blend shredded, unsweetened coconut for a few minutes. Coconut butter!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                    Blend shredded, unsweetened coconut for a few minutes. Coconut butter!
                    Exactly, and if it's a little too dry, add some coconut oil. Should be about the consistency of peanut butter.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! Now to find some unsweetened coconut.
                      -Chuck

Comment

I have made this. It is very good and very satisfying. Because I do eat very low sugar, the coconut and macadamia nuts make it taste sweet to me. I enjoy it toasted. I think it would make decent French toast but have not tried it. Considering the few and healthy ingredients, I don't consider it a faux food but a nice primal treat.

Comment

Coconut butter is the whole coconut ground up. This is the brand I use:

Artisana Organic Foods Coconut Butter

It's about $12 for a 1lb. jar. Looks like that would be some expensive bread. I do think it would be good for French Toast. I don't think I will try it though as I don't really miss bread in that way.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Coconut butter has a consistency like tahini. I have found that the coconut manna has a higher fat content than the coconut butter but they both taste the same.

This bread looks interesting but very expensive. And what if you messed it up? Wow, that's a lot of money down the drain.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              Coconut butter has a consistency like tahini. I have found that the coconut manna has a higher fat content than the coconut butter but they both taste the same.

This bread looks interesting but very expensive. And what if you messed it up? Wow, that's a lot of money down the drain.
                              This is the ONLY reason I haven't yet tried it!! Macadamias ARE NOT cheap . Still I am looking for a paleo bread for my son who seems to find that following paleo/primal is next to impossible due to lack of bread for sandwiches. (He needs to lose weight, and I figure this is the best way for him to do it! Just need to get him off the grains/sugars completely... not an easy task).

I actually had a discussion with Richard (in the comments after the article) about the coconut butter, because I wasn't sure where to get some or what to use, and I think I'll end up making my own using desiccated coconut mixed with perhaps a little coconut oil if it's a bit dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X