Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried mine! It puffed up very nicely, just like the original. I definitely used a VERY heaping teaspoon of baking soda and took care not to overmix the dough after adding the baking soda and lemon juice, so it was quite light and bubbly when I put it in the oven - might be the reason why it rose so well. That said, it did settle a bit over the course of the afternoon as it sat out on the table.

Taste-wise, I managed to oversalt it....ugh. I don't like salty foods, so it's an annoyance. I tried it on its own and while you know right away it's not normal bread, it's pretty decent. It is, however, very eggy - and smells that way. TBH, the idea of dipping it into MORE egg for making French toast is actually making me slightly nauseated.

I just made a grilled cheese - same as I would with regular bread, i.e. buttering up both slices. It browned quite nicely, but the crust, of course, is not as crunchy as real bread would be. It was dripping a fair amount of grease, so I let the sandwich sit on a paper towel to drain for a bit. It is still quite greasy. I'm going to try this again on the weekend using my boyfriend's toaster oven - I feel like it'd allow more extra grease to drip away and allow for a drier "toast."

All in all, not bad except for messing up the salt content...ugh.

Comment

Make sure you have a strong blender if you're making coconut butter. 3 cups of shredded makes about 1 pint of butter. Mmmmmm.......
      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
        Make sure you have a strong blender if you're making coconut butter. 3 cups of shredded makes about 1 pint of butter. Mmmmmm.......
        I continue to fail at making coconut butter; it's immensely frustrating.
        >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
        >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
        >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
          Just tried mine! It puffed up very nicely, just like the original. I definitely used a VERY heaping teaspoon of baking soda and took care not to overmix the dough after adding the baking soda and lemon juice, so it was quite light and bubbly when I put it in the oven - might be the reason why it rose so well. That said, it did settle a bit over the course of the afternoon as it sat out on the table.

Taste-wise, I managed to oversalt it....ugh. I don't like salty foods, so it's an annoyance. I tried it on its own and while you know right away it's not normal bread, it's pretty decent. It is, however, very eggy - and smells that way. TBH, the idea of dipping it into MORE egg for making French toast is actually making me slightly nauseated.

I just made a grilled cheese - same as I would with regular bread, i.e. buttering up both slices. It browned quite nicely, but the crust, of course, is not as crunchy as real bread would be. It was dripping a fair amount of grease, so I let the sandwich sit on a paper towel to drain for a bit. It is still quite greasy. I'm going to try this again on the weekend using my boyfriend's toaster oven - I feel like it'd allow more extra grease to drip away and allow for a drier "toast."

All in all, not bad except for messing up the salt content...ugh.

Mine came out a bit salty too. The baking soda has a salty tasty so next time I am going to skip adding the regular salt altogether.

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
          Yes. I love my Vitamix.

Comment

I just want to share a bread recipe I recently found on a blog I just started following:

Grain-free Sandwich Bread (Paleo and SCD) Against All Grain

It's a similar recipe, but it looks like this one is less greasy/fatty and may have better results.
            >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
            >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
            >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
              I just want to share a bread recipe I recently found on a blog I just started following:

Grain-free Sandwich Bread (Paleo and SCD) Against All Grain

It's a similar recipe, but it looks like this one is less greasy/fatty and may have better results.
              Oooooh that looks good too. A little heavier on the nuts and lighter on the coconuts. Shall have to try that next.

Comment

Real talk, for the trouble of making this you might as well eat some "real" bread and tell yourself it'll be okay. Idk, that's probably just me.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                  Real talk, for the trouble of making this you might as well eat some "real" bread and tell yourself it'll be okay. Idk, that's probably just me.
                  If you can't handle gluten, "real" bread isn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                    If you can't handle gluten, "real" bread isn't an option.
                    Should I always state the obvious? I assumed that would be understood around here.

Comment

Don't know if anyone would be interested in this (and it is a long article), but this article: Our Daily Bread - Whole Living Power Foods + Nutrition talks about sourdough bread/fermenting/etc.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        Some of us actually enjoy cooking so it is not any "trouble", it's fun. Also if your Dad is diabetic but would like some bread, "real" bread is not a good option.

Comment

I will be more careful to add any and all obvious disclaimers in the future. You guys, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            Don't know if anyone would be interested in this (and it is a long article), but this article: Our Daily Bread - Whole Living Power Foods + Nutrition talks about sourdough bread/fermenting/etc.
                            Great though that article was, I was really hoping for a recipe or formula at the end! All that buildup, and no tips on making one's own "super" sour dough! I made an Alcoa sourdough here in my neighborhood, and the starter is almost 4 years old. It makes incredible stuff, but I'd really like to use it for such gluten-free wonder loaves!

Comment

I made it ... enjoyed it, just two slices with some chutney and cheese. Very nice indeed!

But, it ruined our dinner for which I had some meat, tenderstem broccoli and sweet potato sorted. We left the veggies. The bread filled us up and robbed us of good nutrition with our main meal.

It can have a place, though. I won't say I'll never make it again, but doubt I'll make it again any time soon.

Slipperly slope? Primal folks tend to be self-determined and disciplined. I don't see why you couldn't do this every so often.
                              Paul
                              http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                              http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I can see the Fat Bread being an awesome backpacking food. It would be like eating Hobbit Cakes, just a little bit fills you up for ages. I agree with pjgh above that it is an appetite spoiler. But on the trail, that could be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X