making bone broth in a crock pot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making bone broth in a crock pot?

Heya, I was wondering if I can use a crock pot to make bone broth. Will a slow cooker do the trick or does it need to be on the stove?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

slow cooker works just fine - if you actually just google it many a site discuss how you can do this....it's more "traditional" to use the stove but either option works. good luck!

Comment

I've heard bone broth in a pressure cooker is the way to go. I'll be trying this soon, once I get a carcass of chicken from a BBQ that I actually remember to save.

A good tip I learned from nomnompaleo.com is... save all ends of all veggies is a freezer ziplock bag. So you can just dump em in when you make your broth. What a great idea yes?
      "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." --Hypatia

Comment

A slow cooker is the *only* way I make bone broth. Carcasses + water + salt + ACV ... turn it on, walk away for at least 24 hours and it takes care of itself.
        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Ad above, but I never use salt. I add that when I am making soups, sauces or whatever.

If you save bones / chicken carcasses etc in the freezer until you have enough to about half fill the crock, you'll make ace stock.

Tip - of the bones are from cooked chicken etc, just cover with water, perhaps a few bay leaves, pepper corns, and the juice of a lemon or tablespoon of cider vinegar, switch on and leave for 18 - 24 hours. If bones are raw, I find it is best to roast them on high for about 30 minutes, just until browning. The flavour of the stock seems to be more intense.

Comment

I find the crock-pot is easier than the stove.. and usually tastes better as well.

Comment

yes! Agree with above statements! You can leave it on low for 24 hours...just check water level before bed to make sure it isnt evaporated too low---I sometimes add extra "warmed" water at that point!
              Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
              http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I finally made some stock/bone broth yesterday. Can't say I was fond of it, and now remember why I switched to store bought stocks, but that's just me. And it was chicken, so maybe beef/pork bones would yield something heartier and worth the effort.

I like the idea above on the ends of veggies, and often make a clear mushroom soup which is terrific and as easy as boiling water.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

A good tip I learned from nomnompaleo.com is... save all ends of all veggies is a freezer ziplock bag. So you can just dump em in when you make your broth. What a great idea yes?
                  Great tip, worth repeating!

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
                    Heya, I was wondering if I can use a crock pot to make bone broth. Will a slow cooker do the trick or does it need to be on the stove?
                    I've done it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      I finally made some stock/bone broth yesterday. Can't say I was fond of it, and now remember why I switched to store bought stocks, but that's just me. And it was chicken, so maybe beef/pork bones would yield something heartier and worth the effort.

I like the idea above on the ends of veggies, and often make a clear mushroom soup which is terrific and as easy as boiling water.
                      I made a stock with chicken feet and chicken bits and was very disappointed. It just didn't have the flavor I was expecting. I've also made a broth with pig feet and pork neckbones that that came out delicious.

Comment

If you make stock from turkey or beef bones, just keep in mind you want these to be roasted first. Like don't use raw turkey necks - roast them first in the oven. Or beef soup bones, bake them for an hour before making your stock. The taste is worlds better.
                        I use my crockpot all the time to make broth. It's great!

Comment

One thing you may notice when you make your stock in a Crock Pot -- it doesn't gel as nicely as stove-top broth. When this was happening to me, I was worried I wasn't getting all the goodness out of the bones, but apparently it's something about the longer cooking times that just breaks down the gelatin even more. So use your slow cooker without fear!

Comment

Maybe someone can clear up some confusion for me. When making the bone broth, do you keep the water level above the bones through the whole cooking process? Or does it cook down, and if it cooks down, how far? I've only tried once, but I think I diluted it too much because I kept adding water to keep the bones covered, and it didn't turn out too well.

Comment

I did a roast bird on a bed of veggies and glug of stock (I'm paranoid about cooking in a dry crock pot), took the meat out, returned the bones and skin, added a splash of existing stock and some ACV, topped it off with water, and kept it going another 18 hrs. The bird cooked for 6-7 hrs. I got some of the best stock I've ever tasted. Yes, I did it in my crock pot. I tried doing it with just the bones one and it didn't taste that great (kinda nasty, actually.) I think the meat helped.
                              Pooka- I don't add any. Just add it once and call it good.
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X