Way more energy when I don't eat...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way more energy when I don't eat...

So lately I have way more energy when I don't eat. Like insane amounts of energy--but a few minutes after I eat, I'm just exhausted and want to take a nap. I'm not really eating differently than before so I don't know what's up. I think I should also mention that I hardly ever have an appetite. I eat more because I feel like I should as opposed to because I'm hungry...because I'm never really hungry. My bf has been trying to get me to eat more lately, so I'v e been trying to do that a little bit, but if that's what's making me exhausted then I'm not sure how it's beneficial. I've tried looking up information on this myself but haven't come up with much. As an example: This morning I got up and had more energy than I've had in a long time. After a couple of hours I had breakfast, which was 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon cooked in a couple tablespoons of butter, thrown over a ton of lettuce. I put some salsa on top and also had a cup of coffee with some heavy cream. About half an hour later I felt exhausted and now I just want to sleep. Any thoughts?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

what does your exercise look like and how much are you sleeping?

Comment

I rock climb 3-4 days a week, yoga almost every day, run/sprint once a week or so. I sleep maybe 8 hours a night? Something around there. I'm unemployed right now so I don't have a set time I wake up every morning or anything, but I usually wake up around 9:30 and fall asleep around 12-1 at night.
      --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
      --Hyperlithic

Comment

You may have some adrenal issues. When your adrenals are low you can have trouble digesting proteins. Maybe see what happens if you eat less protein at once.
        F/37yr/5' 5"
        SW: 154 March 2011
        CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
        PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
        With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
        GW: 120
        Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

Originally posted by mom5booklover View Post
          You may have some adrenal issues. When your adrenals are low you can have trouble digesting proteins. Maybe see what happens if you eat less protein at once.
          Interesting, hadn't thought of that. Well I just had another meal maybe 20 minutes ago and it had mostly carbs and less fat and protein, as opposed to breakfast which was obviously very low carb and heavier on the fat and protein. I actually feel more energized now...so maybe I need more carbs and less fat and/or protein? Guess I'll just wait a bit more and see if I get tired lol
          Last edited by Clymb; 08-07-2012, 02:57 PM.
          --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

Add some carb sources. Seems like you're doing a lot of activity (I don't really know, is it a lot of work to rock climb 3-4 times a week?--I would think so). Add something, maybe like sweet potatoes or fruit. Don't be scared of good carb sources if you're a)doing a lot of exercise and b) you're not very overweight.
            "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

I have the same thing~ plenty of energy until I eat. Then I just bog down. So I Fast-5~ do all my eating at the end of the day, when the only thing left to do is relax. Maybe my *operating system* is like Windows Vista~ can only do one thing at a time

Comment

hmm...I have a very similar issue. I started doing the leangains fast until noon-1pmish and I have tons of energy from themoment I wake up until I eat. When I eat I tend to slow down quite a bit and even get tired if I eat heavy. I find that it helps if I simply reduce the size of my meals. I honestly feel like my body just doesn't need all of the food I typically give it due to my westernized upbringing. I don't actively try to restrict calories or anything but If I eat a lot I get super sleepy and foggy, if I cut back on the food a little I tend to be very energized and alert. My body will let me know when it needs more I guess, right now it seems to be saying it has plenty of nutrients.

Comment

I seem to be the same way to a degree... but I can't go too long or eat too little, or it bogs me down that way too. :-/

Comment

So why do you guys think we have more energy when we don't eat? I feel like if I only ate what I actually feel I needed to eat, that I would I be consuming very little nutrients.
                    --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

I recently had similar trouble, especially when fasting and trying to eat all of my daily calories within two large meals. I noticed an improvement when I maintained the same fasting schedule but spread the same calories across three smaller meals rather than two large meals.

While this provided a large improvement, I was still feeling somewhat sluggish after eating. Last week I started taking digestive enzyme supplements and I have noticed a HUGE increase in my mood and energy level after eating. From what I understand about digestive enzymes, our body naturally produces enzymes to breakdown foods / nutrients. However, producing these enzymes requires energy and our body's ability to produce enzymes can wane over time. Digestive enzyme supplements require less energy from our body and they also allow us to take more nutrients from the food we are eating.

If you are feeling sluggish, I would recommend researching digestive enzymes and consider picking up some to check out. It's worth a shot for $10. I'm very glad I did.

Comment

Would eating more raw foods perhaps help then, because of the enzymes? I really want to eat raw primal but can't afford to right now. I used to eat raw and loved the energy, but I had too many raw desserts and nuts and gained weight. On primal I lose weight and barely have an appetite, but would like a bit more energy. I feel like combining the two would be awesome
                        --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

I had a similar thing years ago fasting on watered down fruit juice over a 3 day weekend as an experiment. I had tons of energy.

Here's what I think is happening to you. In a word, insulin. When your insulin is low your brain's leptin receptors should be up. If you were Grok and hadn't eating for awhile what would your body/brain be telling you to do? Go hunt/gather. But since you don't have to hunt for food you use that excess energy to do other stuff. Once you've eaten you need to conserve energy so the insulin kicking up down regulates your motivation to move. You feel sluggish and sleepy...like you want to hibernate for a few hours.
                          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                            Would eating more raw foods perhaps help then, because of the enzymes? I really want to eat raw primal but can't afford to right now. I used to eat raw and loved the energy, but I had too many raw desserts and nuts and gained weight. On primal I lose weight and barely have an appetite, but would like a bit more energy. I feel like combining the two would be awesome
                            I never understand this raw food thing being so complicated. Just throw a salad on your plate. Instant raw. Forget about raw fake baked goods and stuff like that.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                              So why do you guys think we have more energy when we don't eat? I feel like if I only ate what I actually feel I needed to eat, that I would I be consuming very little nutrients.
                              I think digestion takes a lot of energy! Doesn't seem to matter what I eat, once I become a food processing system, all other energy uses take a back seat. Maybe some people don't notice the difference because they've never fasted and had all energy available, or they're sugar burners and need to constantly 'stoke the furnace' to have any energy at all~ I know the 'low sugar crash' is worse than the 'just ate slump' Maybe it really normal though~ if you recall, it used to be common for people to take a 2 hour mid-day dinner break that included a nap or siesta.

Comment

Working...
                              X