Durian rider is pretty douchey, but

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durian rider is pretty douchey, but

I have seen this guy criticizing paleo/primal diets and advocating a raw vegan lifestyle. I, personally could not imagine feeling full eating a raw vegan diet. Maybe i am wrong? It seems to me that most raw vegan types are usually naturally thin people that are generally disinterested in food. I think it is most natural that we evolved to eat animal proteins and fat, vegetables, fruits and nuts. Outside of the supposed ethical argument, i cannot understand why anyone would not eat animal sources of fat and protein. It is way more satisfying than any vegan food, and more nutritionally dense.

But, to be fair to this angry vegan, maybe I should do primal for a period of time, see how I look, feel, and perform, then do the same with raw vegan diet. But, i really dont want to eat that way, and vegans are so annoying. What do you guys think? Anyone willing to try it. I really dont think i could last a day eating that way, but?

I think you should delete this thread and never mention his name again. It's like summoning a hoard of angry weasels every time someone brings up his name.
    Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

That is funny. I have not been around long enough to see the other threads about the guy. He really seems like the ultimate vegan douche, but to be fair, maybe he should do primal, and we should do angry douche diet(oops, i mean raw vegan) and we should compare and contrast. Or , maybe not necessarily me, but maybe some of u guys, and I will follow with interest?

Comment

Durianrider is a zealot and an idealist. Keep that in mind when watching his stuff.

Originally posted by Karma33 View Post
        But, i really dont want to eat that way, and vegans are so annoying.
        Then don't do it, and don't be one.

What do you guys think? Anyone willing to try it. I really dont think i could last a day eating that way, but?
        I think there's a small percentage of the population that thrives on raw veganism, a slightly larger set that thrive on regular veganism, and an even larger set that thrive on vegetarianism. And I think an overwhelming number of us do great on paleo/primal.

Maybe you're one of those "lucky" few who does great on raw veganism. Is it sustainable on your budget and in your neck of the woods? Will your life be more awesome with it? Can you really stuff that many goddamn bananas down your throat a day? If the answer is no, then why force your body and/or paycheck to do something it doesn't want to?

But if you're insanely curious, then yeah -- give it a go. 30 days won't kill you. Personally, I'd get sick of it within 48 hours. Eating all the fruit I want might be awesome at first, but eventually it gets boring and I'd want a steak. Mmm. Steak.

Good luck.
        Steph
        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

No, i am not curious. I could not ever imagine eating that way. My post was meant kinda sarcastically. But, i would be interested to see if anyone else wants to be a guinea pig and could report back to the rest of us. Is there anyone here that would like to eat raw veggies and fruit, no to little fat, no meat, no butter, maybe some avocado, and then compare and contrast their results. It could be an exercise in objectivity. Any takers? We might be able to have an exchange student program with some Vegan zealots on his blog.

Comment

I'm just gonna read the headline and state.....there is no but.

Comment

I did the vegan shtick for about 3 months. Broke it off with a 24 ounce T-Bone.....never went back. I've already compared the results.

Comment

I ate a raw vegan diet for about a year (was vegetarian/vegan for 12 years total). And then my hair started falling out and my toenails cracked and fell off. Oh, and I am not by any means a naturally thin person. So that is how I ended up finding paleo, I liked having hair and toenails. Really, eating raw vegan is tough. It seems like you have to be ALWAYS eating to not be hungry. Obviously I don't agree that it's a long-term healthy way to eat, and I think nearly all of the extreme advocates of it are total crackpots. Really, there are only two good things I can say about it. 1) I always had a super energetic, almost buzzed feeling while eating raw. Not natural at all, but I felt crazy energetic, almost like I was on a stimulant or something. 2) I am really glad I did that because it makes the concept of not eating certain foods to be paleo like no big deal. I mean, I got to add a lot of food back in switching from low fat raw vegan to paleo.

Comment

i would be interested to see if anyone else wants to be a guinea pig and could report back to the rest of us. Is there anyone here that would like to eat raw veggies and fruit, no to little fat, no meat, no butter, maybe some avocado, and then compare and contrast their results.
                  Now why in the hell would I do that!?!

I already did my research and what I am doing makes sense to me, so why would I go and try something that does not make sense to me? If I'm going to do something that doesn't make sense, I am going to eat potato chips, not raw vegies. Duh.
                  Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                  SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                  2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

ummm, already did it for a year. read my post above. i think others here have done it as well.

Comment

I had not heard of him before. Straight up lunatic that one.

Comment

Lots of ex-vegans on here, their stories are interesting. It seems that some people can be healthy that way, and those people become evangelists for the cause. What I notice is that they are almost all under 30, in other words the age at which most bodies can appear to thrive on just about anything. I personally have no interest in it and no reason to believe that I'd be healthy doing it. My sister was wildly unhealthy as just a regular vegetarian until she started adding in occasional meats.
                        Wild salmon tonight!
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I have a lot of raw vegan "gurus" on my youtube. There are some great veggie heavy recipes. I love veggies.

Durian insults everyone, even other raw vegans. There are more intelligent arguments *against* him than his arguments against others. He's specifically a fruitarian. I wouldn't doubt that non-fruitarian raw vegans could lead a decently long life if they paid attention to their dietary needs. Just as one could lead a fairly old life on SAD. I just never felt it was *optimal* eating. Living longer does not seem worth it if I am to suffer chronic pain and health complications for a hefty chunk of my life.

I'm not a nutritional expert, but 80/10/10 seems extremist and I'm curious to see failing health of individuals on it past 30, who have been on the diet for a substantial length of time. Durian's girlfriend/friend(rawfitbitch) suffered from an eating disorder in the past and I wonder if this contributed to her and other folks turning to this diet.

Also keep in mind that Durian is not a doctor or anything. He's an opinionated man with a webcam. A lot of people fall for gurus completely because of adoration and bandwagon mentality. Mark Sisson isn't a doctor either, but that's why you have to look at their sources of information.

Primal just makes sense to me. Frutarianism does not.

Comment

Originally posted by palebluedots View Post
                            I ate a raw vegan diet for about a year (was vegetarian/vegan for 12 years total). And then my hair started falling out and my toenails cracked and fell off. Oh, and I am not by any means a naturally thin person. So that is how I ended up finding paleo, I liked having hair and toenails. Really, eating raw vegan is tough. It seems like you have to be ALWAYS eating to not be hungry. Obviously I don't agree that it's a long-term healthy way to eat, and I think nearly all of the extreme advocates of it are total crackpots. Really, there are only two good things I can say about it. 1) I always had a super energetic, almost buzzed feeling while eating raw. Not natural at all, but I felt crazy energetic, almost like I was on a stimulant or something. 2) I am really glad I did that because it makes the concept of not eating certain foods to be paleo like no big deal. I mean, I got to add a lot of food back in switching from low fat raw vegan to paleo.
                            I went from being vegetarian to vegan, then for a brief while experimented with fully raw vegan. What I found was that it did give me loads of energy, was a great detox & initially,for the 1st several years, it seemed like it was the best thing ever. Looking back on those times, it was what I describe as all treble, but with little midrange & almost no bass.

Towards the end, I was always hungry (for fat, calories & of course quality protein). I became run down, sallow, thin & unhappy. Due to my stubborness, I remained this way for several years, even though some of my Macrobiotic teachers were telling me to eat fatty fish. Funny thing, it wasn't til I got to India in 1998, on my 1st trip there, a long visit of almost 6 months, that I STOPPED being vegan & vegetarian & regained my vigor. I was already eating loads of coconuts & food cooked in coconut oil locally made & fresh(Kerala, South India). But once I was offered & induced to eat goat yogurt daily, I felt a little better. Then the eggs from the chickens of the family I was living with, again I felt incrementally better than on the goat yogurt. Then my adopted India mother, Leela, said I was ready for local sardines & other seafood, fresh caught every morning. Once I was eating all those 3 animal foods, combined with cutting out white rice & replacing it with brown millet, I gained weight again (muscle), regained my former high endurance & stamina, got back my chipper & optimistic attitude & I was converted away from the vegan philosophy by the obviousness of my expereinces! Unlike most people who return from a long trip in India, I was healthier upon my return to the USA than I was before the trip. I've been eating animals & eggs & milk products since then...
                            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

There are actually quite a few "recovering vegetarians/vegans" around this board. I went veg for a year back in college. It seemed like I would just get over one cold or flu and then get the next one.

Not going back there ever again.

Comment

Working...
                              X