Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling like utter crap: fat malabsorption transitioning into ketosis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling like utter crap: fat malabsorption transitioning into ketosis?

Hey guys,

I'll try and keep this short.

I just had a blood test come back to see what kind of food allergies I have. I have a lot, it looks like. Since Monday, I've transitioned into a ketogenic diet consisting of bone broth, fatty meat, and little veg. I'm eating a lot more fat than I ever have.

I've been feeling ok...definitely experiencing carb flu like never before. But I'm surviving.

Wednesday night, I decided I hadn't pooped in a couple days, and I was feeling and looking bloated. I took a double dose of magnesium citrate.

As of 3:45am Thursday, I have not stopped pooping. It's liquid and yellow and something awful. I've lost count as to how many times I've had to RUN to the bathroom. I have abdominal cramping from hell, chills, and I'm achy all over.

I had my gallbladder removed in 2010; I realize through googling that this *may* be a bug I caught, or it could be something serious. But I'm also wondering: am I not equipped for a really high fat diet? I'm actually scared to eat more fat, because the pooping still hasn't stopped.

What do I do? Trying not to freak out over this. But it's hard.

Help me out guys!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Aw, 44 views and no replies?

C'mon man
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Are you taking bile salts and digestive enzymes since you've had your gallbladder removed?
      $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

you need to see a doctor right away. and you cannot do a ketogenic diet without a gallbladder. and you should never change your diet based on what an allergist tells you. but mostly - go see a doctor! do not rely on this forum, which should be used exclusively as a distraction while at work. not for real help or info.

Comment

Digestive enzymes are irritating to my stomach. I was taking them but they made me feel like crap.

I'm not seeing an allergist. I'm seeing a naturopathic doctor who's been doing this for almost 30 years. She also recommended I do not take enzymes at this point because I may have some gastritis. I actually feel worse taking them.

Doing more reading online today (paleoparents article on eating bacon without a gallbladder), and I have to add some veggies back to my diet. Meat and fat only is what caused this nonsense.
          A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
            Aw, 44 views and no replies?

C'mon man
            Your poop description has us all speechless.

Comment

LOL! I wanted to put a warning in, but didn't have enough space.

Anyway, this is all my fault. I should have never cut out veggies, period. Just the ones I have a 'moderate' reaction to. But I was stupid and thought "Hey! Let's eat only meat and fat and see what happens!". This wasn't at the recommendation of my naturopath. It was all me. Looking through my food journal I've kept for a while now, I was doing *just freakin' fine* eating, fat, meat AND VEG. And had no symptoms to speak of later. Unless of course, it was a vegetable I'm allergic to, like kale. KALE!?! Sigh.

Stupid, so bloody stupid. I can't remember the last time I was this sick.

Sorry. This thread can die now. I've answered my own concerns.

*runs and hides*
              A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                you need to see a doctor right away. and you cannot do a ketogenic diet without a gallbladder. and you should never change your diet based on what an allergist tells you. but mostly - go see a doctor! do not rely on this forum, which should be used exclusively as a distraction while at work. not for real help or info.
                What is your reasoning behind this statement?

Comment

Are you sure this isn't just from the double dose of magnesium?
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

That's what I was wondering-- a double dose of mag would have me pooping my guts out!

Comment

That's initially what my naturopath thought. But it's still going 24 hours+ later!
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                        What is your reasoning behind this statement?
                        Diarrhea, loose stools. Without a gallbladder, you cannot process the extra fat on a very, very low carb WOE. We *need* to eat loads of veggies and some fruit.

This sums it up well:

How to Enjoy Bacon without a Gallbladder | Paleo Parents
                        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Comment

Sounds to me like a big and sudden shift in your diet. Perhaps a little more of an easing into it would help.

According to the ever-CW Livestrong website:
                          According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, you can continue living successfully without a gallbladder since the liver actually produces the bile you need for digestion. At the same time, without the regulatory pumping action provided by the gallbladder, you may experience different kinds of digestive disorders. Without sufficient bile for example, you may have trouble digesting a large meal or eating fatty foods.
                          Note the words I've bolded. You may have trouble. Note the words "the liver actually produces the bile you need for digestion". This would indicate that eating a ketogenic diet may actually be entirely possible, but I'd work my way up to it if I were you.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Hope you're feeling better.

Comment

Yeah, I don't quite think I can pull a Peggy from theprimalparent.com and eat only meat and fat. There's no reason for me to! Stupid, so stupid.

I'll go back to eating meat, veg and fat (in that order) once my gut settles. I was doing just fine. I only have to be more choosy as to what veg I can eat.

Thanks for the warm wishes, Judy

Also: Livestrong drives me nuts! It comes up in every search I ever do, and the info is inconsistent.
                              A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Comment

Working...
                              X