My Offal Week :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Offal Week :)

I've been primal about two years and started out hating almost all the non-muscle meat foods. But I've kept at it and am happy with my progress!

This week I had

1. Calf liver (twice!). This aversion was the hardest to get over.
    2. Homemade chicken stock
    3. Oxtail stew
    4. Smoked oysters
    5. Grilled chicken hearts (I actually served them at a party tonight and they were all gobbled up - I was shocked. But I did get a skewer for myself too )

I can feel a clear difference in my energy when I am careful to eat the extra bits.

Anyone else eating lots of offal and feeling better for it?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Been eating offal since I was a kid. Grandma knows best it seems!

Coming from an Asian background makes it a lot easier though. Nobody blinks an eye at the weird parts where I come from. Wait til you graduate to intestines, penises and testicles, haha...

Comment

Originally posted by chickenbackside View Post

Coming from an Asian background makes it a lot easier though. Nobody blinks an eye at the weird parts where I come from. Wait til you graduate to intestines, penises and testicles, haha...
      Chickenbackside = Parson's nose where I come from. A nice fatty morsel :-)
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Yup, a row of them on a stick, bbq'd over charcoal...

Not a fan myself, but my folks love them.

Comment

I made a big batch of my liver pate last night and froze some of it so I will be well offaled for a while.

You're right, jammies, I notice a difference i how I feel too.

Comment

I'll add my n=1: My 1RM's on big lifts are better when I've been eating liver regularly (2-3x/week).

No signs of vitamin A poisoning!
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

OMG, I absolutely love the idea of chicken hearts on skewers! That's one mean Valentine Day treat!
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by chickenbackside View Post

I think you are right - it is mostly in the US where we have an aversion to offal. My dinner guests last night included Chinese, Mexican, Portuguese, French and Canadian folks. Now that I think about it - I was the only person born in the US there. None of them thought chicken hearts were at all strange.

My first run in with intestine was bad enough that I may never try it again I would say it was the most disgusting thing I have every tried!! I feed my dog dried bull penis and based on the smell of that I'm leery as well. I will try stomach and thymus though - they are on my list
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  I'll add my n=1: My 1RM's on big lifts are better when I've been eating liver regularly (2-3x/week).

No signs of vitamin A poisoning!
                  Liver seems to help my workouts also.

@Paleobird: How does the texture of the pate hold up after being frozen? I though I read somewhere that it wasn't good to do. I've made a big batch of pate before and put it into several small ramekins and sealed the tops with butter. Apparently they will keep in the fridge like this for two weeks.

Comment

Chicken hearts are fantastic! I used to have an obsession with chicken nuggets when I was a little girl, and baked chicken hearts are my new "chicken nuggets".

Comment

last summer, i got badly anemic and vowed to add in more liver. i'd always had it on charcuterie plates, but never as a serious home-food. now i eat chicken liver pate several times a week. i know it freezes super-well, lol, dunno why i keep making such small batches! good reminder.

we've also been eating lots of tongue and heart. very cheap lean protein from ruminants, vs. the other muscle meats.

added bone broth in january and have that more days than not, with some greens and eggs mixed in as a meal.

YES, i do feel a dramatic improvement to my health. it's funny, i was just having a bit of hindsight about all this. after giving up grains 3 years ago, i felt pretty good. no more colds, coughs, mucous, etc. was eating lots more veggies, more animal protein.

then my health went kaplooey with hormones. tried some cw-intervention which was a DISASTER. cut that shit out almost 2 months ago. along wth the offal and broth, as well as a steady dose of magnesium, vitamin d3 and k2, i feel soooooooo very much better than last year at this same time.

so yeah, it is absolutely because of this type of eating. deficiencies in minerals and vital nutrients are so insidious, and everybody feeling mostly crappy has become "normal". a symptom of aging. according to my doctor, i should feel 1000 times worse. suck it.

what do you guys do with gizzards? have some in the freezer...
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                        Liver seems to help my workouts also.

@Paleobird: How does the texture of the pate hold up after being frozen? I though I read somewhere that it wasn't good to do. I've made a big batch of pate before and put it into several small ramekins and sealed the tops with butter. Apparently they will keep in the fridge like this for two weeks.
                        not she, but as long as the pate is just butter, no cream, it will hold for months in the freezer. cream versions may break apart.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

"Offal" I had last night was salmon roe. I love salmon roe.

I love to have chicken liver "scrambles" without the eggs. Chicken hearts are very good but the only time I have had them is if you get a little bag of giblets with your chicken and then you only get one heart and it's not often they give you the giblets. If I ever see them in bulk, hell yeah, I'm taking them home.

I have not tried tongue yet. I do not know how to prepare it. I have not tried tripe yet either, but someday I'll try some menudo. Really just heart, oxtails (is that even offal??), liver and roe is the only kind of offal I've ever had.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            I love to have chicken liver "scrambles" without the eggs. Chicken hearts are very good but the only time I have had them is if you get a little bag of giblets with your chicken and then you only get one heart and it's not often they give you the giblets. If I ever see them in bulk, hell yeah, I'm taking them home.
                            You recently posted a thread about going to the Asian market and seeing offal, right? I suggest you look there for chicken hearts, because that's where I get all of mine
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I've been eating liver pretty often lately. Bought lamb heart and beef kindey today, not sure what I'm gonna do with these but I want to eat more offal too.
                              “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
                              — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Comment

Working...
                              X