No announcement yet.

My Offal Week :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you get over your liver aversion? I gag at beef liver but have managed to down chicken livers (doused in spices, coconut flour, and then fried). Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
      @Paleobird: How does the texture of the pate hold up after being frozen? I though I read somewhere that it wasn't good to do. I've made a big batch of pate before and put it into several small ramekins and sealed the tops with butter. Apparently they will keep in the fridge like this for two weeks.
      I put the pate in little tupperware single serving cups and seal the tops with coconut oil. It will freeze well as long as there is no air contact

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        "Offal" I had last night was salmon roe. I love salmon roe.

I love to have chicken liver "scrambles" without the eggs. Chicken hearts are very good but the only time I have had them is if you get a little bag of giblets with your chicken and then you only get one heart and it's not often they give you the giblets. If I ever see them in bulk, hell yeah, I'm taking them home.

I have not tried tongue yet. I do not know how to prepare it. I have not tried tripe yet either, but someday I'll try some menudo. Really just heart, oxtails (is that even offal??), liver and roe is the only kind of offal I've ever had.
        I adore salmon roe. It's like salty bubble wrap that pops in your mouth.
        Tongue works really well in the slow cooker with some onions, garlic, herbs and red wine. When it's done you "peel" off the part that has the tastebuds which is kind of the squeem factor for me. (It comes off easy when cooked, impossible raw)

Comment

Regarding the chicken hearts, do y'all trim anything (like grisle or hard fat/veins) or are they go as is?
          SW: 243
          CW: 177
          Goal: Health

Comment

Is the quality of the offal source important? There are always packages of heart, liver, tongue, marrow, etc at the grocery store but from probably less than ideally sourced animals. Probably would be worth a shot to ask at the farmer's market this weekend though.

Comment

Curiosity piqued by this thread... I stumbled onto this. Figured I'd pass it along.

Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits

Comment

I grew up eating a thick gelatinous gravy of goat's/cow's feet, a delicacy back in India. Every time I eat it nowadays, I distinctly feel an increase in energy levels, not to mention that it tastes so good. I get them from halal butchers, but also spotted them in Korean supermarkets.

Comment

Originally posted by vb66 View Post
                  How did you get over your liver aversion? I gag at beef liver but have managed to down chicken livers (doused in spices, coconut flour, and then fried). Any tips?
                  I find I like calves liver the best and then chicken liver. I am not exactly "over" my aversion, but can tolerate it now without gagging.

I soak the liver in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes, rinse, cut in to very small cubes and dredge in a curry spice mixture. I fry it in very hot ghee until it is crispy brown - but don't leave it in so long that it get too brown. Then I serve it tossed in a mixture of freshly chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and sea salt. I always eat it was big slices of jicama. The fresh taste of the jicama between bites of liver sort of resets my palate. I think the acidity of the lemon/cilantro mixture really helps.

Good luck
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    OMG, I absolutely love the idea of chicken hearts on skewers! That's one mean Valentine Day treat!
                    What a funny idea! It would be pretty clever for valentines day. I made mine in an asian marinade with coconut aminos (instead of soy), rice vinegar, a little brandy, a pinch of brown sugar, fresh chopped garlic, and fresh ginger. I marinaded them over night and served them with hot sauce. All of them were gone!
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                      Regarding the chicken hearts, do y'all trim anything (like grisle or hard fat/veins) or are they go as is?
                      Nope. I rinse them in warm water, which allows some of the attached fat to detach from the heart (I eat CAFO chicken heart) which helps a little.
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                        Curiosity piqued by this thread... I stumbled onto this. Figured I'd pass it along.

Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits
                        Wow - what a great resource! I'm bookmarking that for future reference. I had never heard of grilling beef tongue. Looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by KerryK View Post
                          The recipe I have says to remove the fat and the veins. The chicken hearts I bought were already cleaned pretty well - a couple had a little fat I had to trim, but all the obvious veins were gone. I was happy because it seems like it would take a lot of time to clean all those hearts!

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            I find I like calves liver the best and then chicken liver. I am not exactly "over" my aversion, but can tolerate it now without gagging.

I soak the liver in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes, rinse, cut in to very small cubes and dredge in a curry spice mixture. I fry it in very hot ghee until it is crispy brown - but don't leave it in so long that it get too brown. Then I serve it tossed in a mixture of freshly chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and sea salt. I always eat it was big slices of jicama. The fresh taste of the jicama between bites of liver sort of resets my palate. I think the acidity of the lemon/cilantro mixture really helps.

Good luck
                            Thanks, I'm going to try this!

Comment

This is a great cookbook if you ever bought some offal with good intentions but then get it home and think, "What in the heck am I supposed to do with this?"

Amazon.com: Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal (9781580083348): Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: Books

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                                You recently posted a thread about going to the Asian market and seeing offal, right? I suggest you look there for chicken hearts, because that's where I get all of mine
                                I just looked at the ethnic market (it's mostly Mexican) and all they had were chicken gizzards. I tried cooking and eating one of those and it was too tough. I suppose there's a trick to it but I don't know what it is. Then they had pork kidney but I'm afraid to try that because I read somewhere that sometimes it tastes like a bus station. They also had all kinds of pork bits--heart, feet, tails, tongues--but I guess I'm not ready for any of that (or in the mood for a large heart). So I bought fresh chilled chicken liver and pork belly at Whole Foods instead. I'll keep looking for chicken hearts. Someday I'll get lucky.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X