No announcement yet.

Obsession with Fat...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have completely stopped worrying about what my macronutrient breakdown is on any given day.

I shoot for eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, plenty of animal foods like eggs, yogurt, meat/fish, cheese, etc., and plenty of starchy stuff like white rice and sweet potato and (shock!) sourdough bread and (horror!) pasta because it's yummy and makes me feel good. I put butter on things to make them taste good and I don't even think about how much of what I'm eating, I just eat. And when I'm in the mood I drink a beer or have a bowl of ice cream with frozen fruit (usually after a workout because that's when it tastes the best), and I don't worry about it.

Lo and behold, I am no less healthy than when I was obsessively tracking my macronutrients and eating almost nothing but grass-fed meat, liver, eggs, vegetables and sweet potatoes. Probably because I'm much more relaxed and having a lot more fun.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure working in a sunless, climate-controlled box for 40+ hours each week is WAY worse for my health than rigatoni parmigiana.

EDIT: I do try and cook most of my own food and I don't use seed oils in my cooking, preferring butter and coconut oil. But I don't sweat it when I go to a bar with my friends and order fish and chips or something, even though it's probably fried in rancid canola oil or something nasty.

Speaking of fried, I had a couple of delicious beer-battered dogfish shark tacos last night. We tried out this gourmet taco place down the street for my wife's birthday. Yum.
    *WOOOoooo - WOOOoooo*
    License and registration please. Wait here just one minute.

Yeah, you were making some sense there, going to have to cite you this time.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      *WOOOoooo - WOOOoooo*
      License and registration please. Wait here just one minute.

Yeah, you were making some sense there, going to have to cite you this time.
      Was that aimed at me? LOL.
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Yeah. I'll add your quote so it makes more sense...
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I still haven't seen a single post here explaining why a high fat diet is bad. Everyone clearly has an opinion about what everyone else should be eating, but no one says why.

Anyone?
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

That's because the only possibly bad thing about a high-fat diet is displacement of other nutrients. And that's so easy to overcome that it's barely worth noting.

And eating fat from CAFO animals is like sticking your face on the exhaust pipe of a trash incinerator.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Also true! Another vote for protein, here! One pound a day, I've discovered, is baseline maintenance for me. But it would be cooked in tallow and then I'd drink it after cooking my veggies in it. Maybe I would eat less fat if I ate the full two pounds of meat, but then where's my vitamin K2?
              Your vitamin K2 should, ideally, be produced in your body from K1. Are you eating enough leafy greens? (I recommend a pork chop salad. Take one pile of leafy greens, add one pork chop.)
              Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

This forum used to be waaaay more fat-philic (and carb-phobic), at least from what I've seen. The answer to every problem used to be "eat more fat". I even bought into it for a while. Now the answer seems to be "eat more carbs".

I give +1 to nixxy for "moderation in everything".

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                  I still haven't seen a single post here explaining why a high fat diet is bad. Everyone clearly has an opinion about what everyone else should be eating, but no one says why.

Anyone?
                  I'm wondering the same thing myself. About all I've gleaned is that Some People are annoyed that Other People eat fat and rejoice in the fact occasionally.

I might add that I'm annoyed in my own turn by the continual breezy recommendations for "moderation in everything," as though it were all Just That Simple. Moderation is precisely what I was incapable of achieving on a carb-heavy SAD, and it's why I turned to LCHF in the first place.
                  6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                  ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Originally posted by Sceptic View Post
                    Your vitamin K2 should, ideally, be produced in your body from K1. Are you eating enough leafy greens? (I recommend a pork chop salad. Take one pile of leafy greens, add one pork chop.)
                    LOL....Bwahahahahahah.....but no, seriously humans do need preformed K2 for health. K1 does diddly for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      LOL....Bwahahahahahah.....but no, seriously humans do need preformed K2 for health. K1 does diddly for this.
                      K1 gets converted to K2-mk4 by the body (and to K2-mk7 by bacteria in the gut). That said, I'm supplementing K2-mk4, but ideally enough should be made in the body from the copious amounts of K1 we're getting from all the leafy greens we're eating.

(Has anyone seen that ideal world? I seem to have misplaced it...)
                      Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

"Today I ate a stick of butter with 2 lettuce leaves, 1kg of belly pork, a coconut flour sponge cake and some flax pancakes. Why am I not losing weight, I thought paleo was a miracle cure?!
                        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by camel View Post
                          I agree, I don't see the posts he is referring to. Most are pretty reasonable in their fat intake, I would guess.
                          What I actually eat - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                            "Today I ate a stick of butter with 2 lettuce leaves, 1kg of belly pork, a coconut flour sponge cake and some flax pancakes. Why am I not losing weight, I thought paleo was a miracle cure?!
                            "Two lettuce leaves?!? Are you trying to kill yourself?!?!?"

Comment

When I was in college (a long time ago) I worked for a woman whose mom used to freeze sticks of butter and give them to her and her siblings for snacks in the summer. She was a very petite and healthy woman. Once in a while I wonder if my kids would like that snack. I always talk myself out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Sceptic View Post
                                K1 gets converted to K2-mk4 by the body (and to K2-mk7 by bacteria in the gut). That said, I'm supplementing K2-mk4, but ideally enough should be made in the body from the copious amounts of K1 we're getting from all the leafy greens we're eating.

(Has anyone seen that ideal world? I seem to have misplaced it...)
                                Well "some" K1 gets converted to K2 like 10:1 from what I have read.

And I did run into this "It was once erroneously believed that intestinal bacteria are a major contributor to vitamin K status. However, the majority of evidence contradicts this view. Most of the vitamin K2 produced in the intestine are embedded within bacterial membranes and not available for absorption. Thus, intestinal production of K2 likely makes only a small contribution to vitamin K status. (Unden & Bongaerts, 1997, pp. 217-234)" from Kresser.

And there are various studies that show ingestion of K2 to be beneficial where K1 ingestion is not. I'm not trying to open up an argument or anything, but I really do think that the majority of evidence points to K2 in its preformed state as being the ideal. And you do supplement with it so your getting it done. I personally eat a lot of home made sauerkraut and all the other usual suspects for my K2 (cheese, butter, egg yolk, kidney).

Comment

Working...
                                X