to snack or not to snack - my question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to snack or not to snack - my question

I'm in education and recently have gone back after summer vacation. In the summer, my meals were about 4-5 hours apart and I didn't need to snack at all.

Now that I'm back at work, I generally eat at 6:30, 12:30 and 6:00. The bigger gaps in meals, plus my upped energy expenditure as I'm flying around all the time, mean that I'm starting to experience a bit of hunger between meals.

My question is: do I HAVE to snack? i.e. will my efforts be thwarted if I'm a bit hungry for a few hours? Or, can I stretch it and consider them mini IFs and not worry about it?

THANKS!

wow, that's not the expected question! heck no, you don't have to snack. hunger is a natural sensation, a perfectly healthy one too. there's nothing wrong with feeling some hunger during the day. in fact, it was likely extremely typical - an integral part of life - until recent times.

eating a snack is not the worst thing, but i do think that eating square meals is a far, far better bet. good for you, stick with it.

Comment

thats up to you, being hungry isn't a bad thing.

You could always add more fat/protein to your meals to keep you fuller between them.

Comment

I can't eat enough in a meal to feel full, so i tend to snack. there's nothing wrong with a little hunger.
        my primal journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

i don't know when people became so threatened by the actual sensation of hunger. mine can't have been the only mom who forbid pre-dinner snacks "cuz it would ruin my appetite"?

as long as you're not seriously flagging, and keeping hydrated, just stick to 3 meals. you might need a bit more in the lunch one?
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

For the general population, snacking is pretty unnecessary. It sounds like it doesn't make much sense in your situation. Three solid meals should be just fine.

Comment

I really like the empty feeling I get between meals.
              It's not hunger anymore, just a sensation that lets me know I'm burning fat.

An organic apple wouldn't hurt you. I eat part of a fruit with a tad of walnut or almond butter at the beginning of meals;
              kind of an appetizer. Also, drink loads of filtered water inbetween meals, it'll fill you up great.

Comment

Eat if you are really hungry. Don't if you're not.

Comment

Not sure where all the hate for snacking is coming from! If you feel hunger enough where you are low on energy, definitely have a snack. Just make sure its primal and don't overdo it.

Comment

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    I really like the empty feeling I get between meals.
                    It's not hunger anymore, just a sensation that lets me know I'm burning fat.

An organic apple wouldn't hurt you. I eat part of a fruit with a tad of walnut or almond butter at the beginning of meals;
                    kind of an appetizer. Also, drink loads of filtered water inbetween meals, it'll fill you up great.
                    Water is great, but I can't do fruit by itself, or I get HUNGRY. Cheese slices on apple slices, now that's a snack!

Comment

Nothing wrong with snacking, but it reminded me of part of a poem from the 1200's in favor of doing without:

There's hidden sweetness in the stomach's emptiness.
                      We are lutes, no more, no less. If the soundbox
                      is stuffed full of anything, no music.
                      If the brain and belly are burning clean
                      with fasting, every moment a new song comes out of the fire.
                      The fog clears, and new energy makes you
                      run up the steps in front of you.
                      Be emptier and cry like reed instruments cry.
                      Emptier, write secrets with the reed pen.

Comment

Originally posted by JamestheJust View Post
                        Not sure where all the hate for snacking is coming from! If you feel hunger enough where you are low on energy, definitely have a snack. Just make sure its primal and don't overdo it.
                        I'm with you! If I don't have pre-planned primal approved snacks I will dive into the work biscuit tin without fail! Better to be prepared than unprepared, especially in my case!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I guess it's a last remnant of SAD that I wanted to make sure I was clear on - my metabolism doesn't NEED snacks to stay revved up! But yes, if I need one one day - go for it! Thanks!

Comment

JudyCR- good call on the Rumi poem! I use that for motivation on fasting days.
                            28, female, 5'2"
                            Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
                            1/12/12: 135 lbs.
                            Goal: 120 lbs.

Comment

I feel you -- I was determined not to snack and absolutely ended up having to. Until I figured out this fat-adapted thing. Sometimes I'll still have a few macadamia nuts between meals because I like them. But otherwise, I can wait.
                              The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Working...
                              X