Chronic digestive problems =(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    What does the pain feel like? Burning/stabbing?

Is it mostly in one spot or area or widespread?

Have you been on any medications over the last couple of years? OTC? Before it started?

Have you traveled to anywhere tropical or with questionable sanitation?

What do you feel might be causing the flares?

Were you given a hydrogen breath test or an endoscopy?

Any other health issues that may not seem to be related?
    It feels like burning, from just under my rib cage to about the middle of my belly. Sometimes it's all over, sometimes it's very localized to one or two spots. I haven't been on any meds other than tylenol and prescribed vicodin for the pain. I haven't been anywhere tropical, but on my visit to NC I was drinking well water (it's all well water in that part of the state). I can't rightly say what might be causing them, since eating the exact same things from one day to the next seems to cause different reactions or none at all. I haven't done hydrogen breath testing, but I have had an endoscopy w/ biopsy- biopsy was negative. Other than occasional mild insomnia, night sweats, some heart palpitations, and the stress of it all, my health seems otherwise fine.
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
      Are you sure it's not fat related? I had some severe gall bladder attacks about ten years ago, but every single test was negative--no stones, nothing. My GI told me that he's seen that before, and if eating very low fat helped, it probably would eliminate the problem eventually because the gall bladder had become 'irritated' for some unknown reason. Eating high fat would bring on an attack.

I know that something like almond butter seems as though it would be soothing to your stomach, but it's really high fat.

I ate low fat for about a year, and I was able to gradually increase my fat intake. This was especially true when I went Primal and gave up all grains. That combination was particularly bad.

I never found out why I had those attacks, but all is fine now.
      I think i need to adjust my fat intake aswell because my stomach has acted up and i think my liver might be slightly inflammed as a result, had high iron in my blood which can indicate inflammation. So what type of diet are you on now? Is it primal with high fat and protein or have you found a balance that doesn't upset your digestive system?

To the OP, your symptoms sound like a possible case of gastroparesis. H.pylori is worth checking for aswell. Those are two avenues you can explore, i would know because i was diagnosed with both and can relate to some of your symptoms and what i've seen others report.

Comment

If you have gallstones, the extra fat you're now consuming is giving your gallbladder more work: it is trying to secrete bile, but it's JAMMED!

Have you had an ultrasound done on your liver/gallbladder?

Been there, done that. Had mine removed. I feel your pain.
        Last edited by patski; 08-02-2012, 04:44 PM.
        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by Siren View Post
          It feels like burning, from just under my rib cage to about the middle of my belly. Sometimes it's all over, sometimes it's very localized to one or two spots. I haven't been on any meds other than tylenol and prescribed vicodin for the pain. I haven't been anywhere tropical, but on my visit to NC I was drinking well water (it's all well water in that part of the state). I can't rightly say what might be causing them, since eating the exact same things from one day to the next seems to cause different reactions or none at all. I haven't done hydrogen breath testing, but I have had an endoscopy w/ biopsy- biopsy was negative. Other than occasional mild insomnia, night sweats, some heart palpitations, and the stress of it all, my health seems otherwise fine.
          You should definitely look into the gall bladder possibility with a doctor, but many of your symptoms sound like fructose malabsorption, possibly small intestinal bacterial growth (SIBO) on the side. Which foods do you feel may be contributing? Because unfortunately, FM tends to limit a lot. Many people go through hell trying to figure out what's wrong and it often takes years. I'm gluten intolerant and when I cut that out the FM became worse, which may be an issue. When you eliminate one offending food and your gut starts to heal foods that you didn't realize were a problem become more obvious. FM is actually much more common than most people realize, about 30% of the population has it on some level. Most doctors have no idea how to test for it or treat it and certainly don't think of it when presented with the symptoms. The symptoms may vary, not everyone gets the same one. I belong to an FM group on Yahoo (not searchable if you aren't a member) and looked up night sweats and heart palpitations and some people do experience them. I don't recall those being issues for me, but it's been a couple of years since I've eaten much of the offending foods. Google "fructose malabsorption" and your symptoms, maybe one at a time. See if any of this resonates.
          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Oh yeah, and someone mentioned Chris Kresser. Here's a good post that touches on many of the things I mention: The hidden causes of heartburn and GERD
            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by Siren View Post
              That was the initial thought, when all this started 6 years ago. But it was so random, coming and going, and for the first 6 months of being Primal all was good. Then I went to North Carolina for a week, and it's been a major problem ever since. Some days I'm fine. Some days I'm really bad. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it, except the handful of symptoms that keep coming and going cyclically. If it is my gall bladder, is there any way to fix it w/o having it removed? Is there a way to test my gall bladder function to see if that's really the case?
              Hi Siren,
              I'm not an expert by any means but have worked w/ a general surgeon for 13 yrs. Sure sounds a lot like GB symtoms. A HIDA scan, which is a nuclear medicine test, would be able to tell you the percentage ejection fraction of your GB. Some people can go years with a low GB EF% with occasional symtoms. Some doctors consider an EF of less than 50% abnormal and others it's gotta be less than 30% for abnormal. Unfortunately, if it is abnormal, there isn't anything you can do (that I know of) to improve that function.
              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

You sound like you have what is known in the Osteopathic world as somatic dysfunction influencing your digestive issues. I treat this stuff on a regular basis with very good success when modern medicine can't pin-point a diagnosis. I use a technique called Strain and Counterstrain. You can go online to The Jones Institute and search and see if there is a practitioner close to you that has taken the visceral and lymphatics (VL) class. You may find acupuncture helpful as well.

Comment

digestive issues

Been there with the acid reflux, and digestive problems-- food not breaking down properly and eliminating chunks of food when voiding. I found what works the best, after all the money I put out and all the supplements I've tried is wholy tea. Now I don't sell this stuff and I'm not endorsing it --it just works and it assists your body to fix the problems so it works properly again .I found the best prices for this are on ebay, so I suggest reading up about it and giving it a try. I still, after 2 months of taking the tea 2 times a day get a short bout of acid reflux if I indulge in too many acidy foods but my digestion is back to normal and I have proper bowel movements/ voiding with very little to no chunks showing up -- corn never seems to properly break down in me

Comment

Working...
                  X