Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole grains in small measures are perfectly paleo.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    These are fun! Last one: eggs vs oats.



    So...why eat oatmeal for breakfast? It even resembles vomit. It's like nature telling you not to eat it.
    ? I like rolled oats and milk, with some sliced banana, a spoonful of blackstrap and maybe a pinch of honey. Yum. Bitter and sweet and chewy and thick and... Mmmmmm.

    Eating too many oats does turn me into a poo factory, though.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

    My Primal Journal

    Comment


    • #47
      Your graphs are all different scales, but it simply looks that nutrients are distributed in different patterns, not that grain has all 0's and the eggs or sweet potato are all high on everything under the sun. With the nutrient density, I think it's better to have a food when you can eat a reasonable amount of it and get a reasonable amount of nutrient. 1000 cals of millet is much easier to consume than 8 kilos of cucumber.... though I doubt anyone will do either unless they are like stuck with a bucket of cucs or a bag of millet... looks like millet beats cashews and sweet potatoes, actually, or at least holds its own on the balance of all the columns. I think a person stuck On the cucumber island will be worse off in the end than the one stuck on the Millet Island. The whole anti-nutrients thing is applied to all things that are derived from vegetable sources, so nuts, veggies... gotta manage.

      Millet is not crushed like oats as far as I have seen, always little individual seeds, and buckwheat - individual berries. Dunno more than that about it.

      I am not a fan of oats, but buckwheat and millet taste really nice, particular if you take your time to roast buckwheat. They are lovely added to soups (thick fish soup with millet; buckwheat imo the best grain ever paired with meat & gravy like goulash or beefstorganoff). I also happen to dislike the taste and texture of sweet potatoes. So, individual preferences.

      Again, I do not think it is necessary to eat it, or it should be consumed daily, instead of salmon or eggs, but for flavor and texture, there is no reason not to add a handful once in a while.

      You use tapioca, rice, corn flour, potatoes in your own cooking... why not millet and buckwheat? Don't see the reason in your responce.
      Last edited by Leida; 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

      Comment


      • #48
        I really don't think the OP is talking about eating a significant amount of grains, in fact he says he does not eat wheat. Plenty of primal folks eat dairy and I don't see how dairy could have amounted to much in the Paleo diet. Not to mention ancient forms of fruit; talk about different from modern fruit! Ancient apples were more likely eaten for the fat and protein found in the larva that lived in the fruit.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          So...why eat oatmeal for breakfast? It even resembles vomit. It's like nature telling you not to eat it.
          Good point as there are bagels, cereals, muffins, and a whole host of other high carb options that can be substituted as desired/required....
          http://stackingplates.com/

          Comment


          • #50
            OP, eat whatever you want. But Paleo and Primal are like brand names, they are what their authors say they are. If you intentionally cook with grains, you are not "paleo" or "primal" - that's just accuracy. But, eat what you want, I certainly do. If you want to make your own version, go ahead but call it something different.

            The anthropological evidence as I understand it says pretty clearly that grains in any form were no more than a tiny portion of our diet until agriculture came around,so in other words we did not substantially evolve to eat grains, unlike, say, small birds. Nutritionally, grains are pretty poor. The science seems to indicate that gluten in particular is really bad for people, some more than others. All of that seems pretty uncontroversial. But if you want to throw some barley in your soup, go ahead dude. More power to ya. It's your food in the end.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
              I really don't think the OP is talking about eating a significant amount of grains, in fact he says he does not eat wheat. Plenty of primal folks eat dairy and I don't see how dairy could have amounted to much in the Paleo diet. Not to mention ancient forms of fruit; talk about different from modern fruit! Ancient apples were more likely eaten for the fat and protein found in the larva that lived in the fruit.
              I don't know about that particularly... but I do know that my father was a POW during the Vietnam war...
              And it was the guys who weren't squemish, went to the food buckets first, and skimmed the top portion off to eat with their hands that stayed the healthiest in the camp... from what he related.

              The food was rice, and scraps of veg (sometimes fish or other meat/bones too) that was basically half rotten garbage, that was put into a lidded bucket and had boiling water poured onto it and let sit until it cooled.
              The bugs and bug larvae that was in the rice would float and form a layer on the top of the food... and many of the American men were too squeamish to eat it. My dad and a couple of other guys always got first dibs because they weren't afraid of eating the food on top that was mostly bugs. It very likely gave them the extra protein to keep their strength, and kept them from eating either only rice, or the the semi-rotten meats at the bottom that probably made the others sick...

              I'm sure bugs were a favorite way back.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                I don't know about that particularly... but I do know that my father was a POW during the Vietnam war...
                And it was the guys who weren't squemish, went to the food buckets first, and skimmed the top portion off to eat with their hands that stayed the healthiest in the camp... from what he related.

                The food was rice, and scraps of veg (sometimes fish or other meat/bones too) that was basically half rotten garbage, that was put into a lidded bucket and had boiling water poured onto it and let sit until it cooled.
                The bugs and bug larvae that was in the rice would float and form a layer on the top of the food... and many of the American men were too squeamish to eat it. My dad and a couple of other guys always got first dibs because they weren't afraid of eating the food on top that was mostly bugs. It very likely gave them the extra protein to keep their strength, and kept them from eating either only rice, or the the semi-rotten meats at the bottom that probably made the others sick...

                I'm sure bugs were a favorite way back.
                Jeeze. That is one heck of a story.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  I don't know about that particularly... but I do know that my father was a POW during the Vietnam war...
                  And it was the guys who weren't squemish, went to the food buckets first, and skimmed the top portion off to eat with their hands that stayed the healthiest in the camp... from what he related.

                  The food was rice, and scraps of veg (sometimes fish or other meat/bones too) that was basically half rotten garbage, that was put into a lidded bucket and had boiling water poured onto it and let sit until it cooled.
                  The bugs and bug larvae that was in the rice would float and form a layer on the top of the food... and many of the American men were too squeamish to eat it. My dad and a couple of other guys always got first dibs because they weren't afraid of eating the food on top that was mostly bugs. It very likely gave them the extra protein to keep their strength, and kept them from eating either only rice, or the the semi-rotten meats at the bottom that probably made the others sick...

                  I'm sure bugs were a favorite way back.
                  Geez, now I'm hungry again....
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    Jeeze. That is one heck of a story.
                    Rather sanitized version.

                    He only chose to share stories like that a couple of times in my life.
                    I'd be just as well off if I didn't know I think.

                    He was a MC sniper... he was POW/MIA... actually declared dead by the US gov't. until he managed to get back to a base.
                    There are reasons why a lot of those guys are seriously messed up.
                    My dad is. No doubt about it.

                    Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                    Geez, now I'm hungry again....
                    Right.
                    That made me think... the OP could get some meal worms and toast them up and stir those into his stew, just like long grain brown rice, kinda, only full of healthy proteins and fats.
                    Meal worms are easy to grow at home... and toasted they taste rather nutty.
                    http://abigalesedibles.com/2010/09/h...s-for-cooking/
                    Last edited by cori93437; 08-03-2012, 09:10 PM.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                      Meal worms are easy to grow at home... and toasted they taste rather nutty.
                      not toasted, they are very wriggly.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                      – Ernest Hemingway

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                        OP, eat whatever you want. But Paleo and Primal are like brand names, they are what their authors say they are. If you intentionally cook with grains, you are not "paleo" or "primal" - that's just accuracy. But, eat what you want, I certainly do. If you want to make your own version, go ahead but call it something different.

                        The anthropological evidence as I understand it says pretty clearly that grains in any form were no more than a tiny portion of our diet until agriculture came around,so in other words we did not substantially evolve to eat grains, unlike, say, small birds. Nutritionally, grains are pretty poor. The science seems to indicate that gluten in particular is really bad for people, some more than others. All of that seems pretty uncontroversial. But if you want to throw some barley in your soup, go ahead dude. More power to ya. It's your food in the end.
                        Yeah.......this, this is my thought after reading all the other responses.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Whether whole grains in small amounts are paleo or not matters little to me.
                          What does matter is that I felt like crap when I used to eat them, but since I always ate them I didn't realize how bad I felt until I stopped and started to feel better.
                          I could probably get away with eating a small amount of whole grain, but I don't see any reason to do so.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X