Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole grains in small measures are perfectly paleo.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eat what you want. If you get sick/tired/fat whatever... then stop.

If you don't and enjoy em, go ahead.
    I'll be back

Comment

There's evidence that grains were consumed in some quantities in the paleolithic period thought it's kind of hard to determine how much, just like other starches, meat, vegetables, etc. What was actually eaten in the paleolithic is mainly guess work to an extent though. Native Aboriginals also made a type of bread with ground grains as well and they were nomadic hunter/gatherer's.

Comment

Exactly. Theres no point in debating wether or not they ate grains. It doesnt matter. Grains in the 20th century have changed so much and as a result become so toxic to us. read "wheat belly".
        Actually, Wheat Belly states the opposite: wheat was changed immensely from the offset, replacing proteins and all that, and particularly it changed in the 20th century with the on-set of the short wheat. The other grains remained very close to their traditional form. This is discussed in later chapters when he looks into eating other grains. His spectrum of grains is somewhat limited by his NA experience, where it is corn, wheat and oats mostly.... he recommends avoiding all grains, but I dunno.

I am not promoting eating of grains as the base of your diet, as I am of the opinion that they lack in the nutritional bang for the caloric buck, but I view non-glutenous cereal grains and buckwheat (which is a berry) as neutral fillers that will not harm most of the humans the way the modified wheat does, if you throw a handful in your soup.

Paleo and Primal is opening up to rice and quinoa for athletes who desire more starch. Buckwheat or millet unless you have specific intolerances to their proteins aint' any better or worse. I would not even want to begin to speculate on what's better for you, organic millet with beans or bacon from commercially raised pork with commercially laid eggs?

I am glad for one that Paleo and Primal in the end embraced tubers, because initially radish was off limits, and doesn't that sound odd now?

In the end, I think, we gotta accept that the individual restrictions may not be quite so severe.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Whenever I add in grains, even if it's a little, I lose abdominal definition, slight love handles develop that won't go away no matter how much I exercise, and my face "rounds" up a little. I don't get fat or anything, but I notice the difference.

Mind you I'm talking about a LITTLE grains--like a bowl of serial and a slice or two of pizza every other day average. I can handle a one off one or two days, but so long as it's a regular addition of carbs I see the difference physically.

Comment

Uhm, I was thinking more like 1/3 cup (dry) of organic millet every week or two, rather than processed grains every other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              I am glad for one that Paleo and Primal in the end embraced tubers, because initially radish was off limits, and doesn't that sound odd now?

In the end, I think, we gotta accept that the individual restrictions may not be quite so severe.
              I like Richard Nikoley's take - "just eat REAL* fucking food". *without the sugar bombs, and wheat.

Comment

The idea is to eat real, whole, nutritious food. Yes, technically if someone 100,000 years ago found some kind of wild grain growing and had absolutely no other food source available, they could have conceivably eaten the grain kernels. That's not the point. It would be something so rare it wouldn't be considered part of the diet. Ancient people ate more dirt than they ate grains. Would you eat dirt voluntarily? My guess is no because you wouldn't consider it food, but it was far more prevalent in the ancient diet than grains since they lacked sinks with soap and running water to wash their food.

Then you have to realize that modern grains are nothing at all like ancient grains. These grains have been selectively bread for thousands of years and recently they've been genetically modified. Can you find truly ancient grains from tens of thousands of years ago? I have no idea what they'd even be, but they wouldn't be wheat, corn and oats. They'd probably be something like millet. Do you really want to eat that?

And even if you use some type of convoluted logic to justify grains in your own head, you still have a major problem - they're empty calories. They have no nutrition worth mentioning. The anti-nutrients outnumber the nutrients. You're better off coating everything in white sugar because at least you're not megadosing phytic acid and toxic lectins with your empty calories.

"Paleo" is a stupid word. It doesn't matter whether or not it's paleo. What matters is whether or not it's healthy. No grain is "healthy." Others are just less harmful than others. If you want a diet that's "not as bad as what it used to be," that's fine. I want a great diet. "Better than terrible" isn't good enough for me.
                Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-03-2012, 07:20 AM.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Uhm, so, what's wrong with millet? To my taste buds, millet and buckwheat are tastier than oats, corn and wheat.

And every cultivated fruit and vegetable you consume went through the same selection and exaggeration of qualities that humans found beneficial, size being the foremost factor. Even wild game in NA is sometimes grain-fed, because that mousse went foraging in the farmer's field as likely as not. Your pig is not exactly a wild bush pig....

How much nutrients is in lettuce? Cucumber? Zucchini?
                  Last edited by Leida; 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Uhm, so, what's wrong with millet?
                    Same thing as any grain - there's little nutrition and lots of anti-nutrients and toxins along for the ride. And millet is one of the most nutrient-dense grains at that.

Check this one: 1000kcal of millet vs salmon vs cashews vs sweet potatoes.

Millet is crushed, and when you eat the other three you don't get the phytate and lectins along for the ride. Not only is millet low in nutrition, you can't use much of what's there.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Choco, a question. Can you give me a link to the database you use for graphs such as the above? They are nicely laid out. Thanks.

Comment

How much nutrients is in lettuce? Cucumber? Zucchini?
                        A staggering amount. Romaine is off the charts with nutrient-density.

Of course, you'd have to eat 6 kilograms of romaine or 8.5 kilgrams of cucumbers to get those totals. However, it just goes to show you nutrient density calorie per calorie.

Right click and select View Image to see the full resolution. It's important to see the RDA's. Stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Choco, a question. Can you give me a link to the database you use for graphs such as the above? They are nicely laid out. Thanks.
                          Those are just Fitday graphs I'm taking screenshots of, pasting in MS Paint, then uploading to Photobucket.

Comment

These are fun! Last one: eggs vs oats.

So...why eat oatmeal for breakfast? It even resembles vomit. It's like nature telling you not to eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                              So...why eat oatmeal for breakfast? It even resembles vomit. It's like nature telling you not to eat it.
                              I am so glad to be rid of that stuff. I used to eat it because I thought I was being healthy. Now I see people doing paleo versions of that with coconut, etc. Why? The real stuff was gross. Why try to imitate it?

Comment

There was an article the other day on the Yahoo! homepage that stated a lot of people with gluten intolerance weren't even aware they had it.

Here it is on another site: Most Americans with Celiac Disease Don't Know It | LiveScience

I also wonder about ancient civilizations and their use of yeasts with making breads. This is after Grok's time, of course, but I've always heard that sourdough is the lesser of evils when it comes to wheat consumption. In Eqypt they would have used different strains of yeast than we do today, no? I wonder if that helped make it more digestible.

I can't honestly say I have gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, but I know I've had several positive things happen after stopping them. More energy, my poops were less straining, and helps keep my skin clarity.

I switched to lots of brown rice after I went gluten-free years ago, and came into Primal a couple of weeks ago. I can't be 100% certain about why I'm seeing even more results. My skin has been clear, but now it has this glow to it. My finger joints stopped aching and my poops are even better than they were on just a gluten-free diet. The only big difference about my diet since coming into this is more meat, no grains, and less carbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X